VC-10? No, it is just an Ilyushin +++FINISHED+++

Ray S

I have now got the wing leading edges painted up. I re-masked the wings and used the Mr Metal Color (spelled it correctly this time) Stainless. I just scrubbed the paint on with an old brush, and buffed it with a cotton bud and Kleenex.

DSCN7450

DSCN7451

I should hopefully be able to start getting the transfers onto the wings tomorrow, and I must remember to paint the top of the fuselage white!

Thanks for looking,

Ray

• Like 5

Well, no time like the present! First thing this morning I masked the fuselage and gave it two or three coats of Tamiya White Primer followed by their Pure White rattle-can. The masking came off (except the glazing masking)

DSCN7453

I am quite happy with that. I will try and save the glazing masking when I remove it, but it was not too costly, and I don't know if I will do another of these even though the kit is so good.

This afternoon, I listened to some music (Hawkwind) and was suitably relaxed to forge on with the wing transfers. One magazine article said that the wing transfers were awkward to align, and I soon found out why! There are a lot, many more than on the 'proper' VC-10 I did a year or so ago. Anyway, these released nice and quickly from the carrier sheet, did not curl up, and were able to be moved into position with the help of a cocktail stick, and sometimes a little water. With the Blue Micro setting solution, they settled into the finely engraved lines well.

DSCN7454

I still have quite a few more to put onto the top of the wings, but it already looks impressive.

DSCN7455

The transfers were laid out on the sheet so I really needed to mirror them on both sides as I went along. I did try to refrain from handling the leading edges, and was happy I did these prior to fitting the wings to the fuselage. Then I had to do a dry fit, and see how Ilya was coming along:

DSCN7456

I am quite pleased so far, and I am just hoping I got the division between white and grey right! I did use a photocopy of the transfers to help me out.

That is it for today, thanks for looking,

Ray

• Like 12

@Thom216, @CliffB and @stevehnz, thanks for your comments. Steve, go for one, you will not be disappointed in my opinion.

I was all ready to start adding the transfers to the fuselage, when I thought 'hang on a mo, you haven't glossed it yet, boyo!' So I added a gloss varnish to the primed area of the fuselage, the white section already being glossy. Phew, another error averted...

I decided to continue building the engines, and they had some quite nice detail inside:

DSCN7457 (2)

DSCN7458 (2)

Admittedly you would need a torch or an endoscope to see mush, but I know it is there.

Then I added the final transfers to the top of the wings. It was at this point I wondered if any stencilling would be under or over the registration markings. In this case, they are under. Then I took the glazing masks off, and was again quite happy with the results. I am not sure if it was quicker to put the masks on, or take them off. I was not able to save them, but I did not really think I would be able to. The set also includes masks for the wheels and hubs, so that will make painting them a lot easier too.

DSCN7459

The cockpit glazing is supremely clear, the detailing inside is very visible, even in 1/144 scale. And I remembered to remove the Krystal Klear from the cabin doors and rear windows too for re-applying later.

Here are the parts which are nearly ready to go together, but I still have quite a bit of work to do on them yet though:

DSCN7460

I know I have mentioned it before, but this kit is an absolute joy to put together, I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Thanks for looking and for the comments and 'likes',

Ray

• Like 10

Thanks @TimJ for your comment.

I got one side of the fuselage transfers on today. The cheat line is split into four main parts (excluding engines) each side, with a small part for the forward passenger door. I started from the front, and set the transfers down as I thought the guide showed, but when I was putting the longest strip on (immediately forward of the engine location), I found that I had put them too low down - thankfully they included escape doors on the cheat line, and I noticed the error from that. This was about ten minutes after fitting the first two transfers, but I was able to flood them with water, tease the brush under, and reposition them to a more correct position. Phew! I have had some transfers that would not budge for anything after that amount of time. The markings reacted very well to both Micro softening solutions which were needed. One or two of the transfers were mis-numbered on the instruction sheet, but the SAMI review had mentioned that there was that small problem. I am very glad I put the markings on before fitting the wings.

DSCN7461 (2)

One online review (Finescale Models if I recall), said this scheme was in Blue and Bright Red), but it looks more like blue and orange to me. I am not sure who the organisation who flew this was, there is nothing in the kit which says, as far as I can see, but I am noted for missing things.

Hopefully I can get the other side done tomorrow. Thanks for looking,

Ray

• Like 6

I got the other side of this done with the transfers, and the cheat lines went better this time, there being only three parts as opposed to four yesterday. Tomorrow it will be the turn of the stencils. There are quite a few even in this scale. I did wonder whether to miss any as they will not be seen, but then I thought to myself 'I would put all of them on an EE Lightning, so why not this?'

Looking at previous posts on this Forum, I found out that the scheme I have done was for the Russian Emergency Ministry, so now I know!

Ray

• Like 2

The stencils went on very well, and I was very pleasantly surprised at how they went down on the Mr Metal Color leading edges. Instead of using the Micro Set/Sol system then, I just used plain water to bed them in, just in case they affected the metal finish. I added every stencil I could find, and got my wife's money's worth (she had bought me this kit just after it came out).

It was then time to dry-fit it all together again and see how it looks at the moment:

DSCN7462

DSCN7463

I still have to add the anti-glare panel on the nose, and a load more stencils on the underside of the engine pods (after painting said pods). I am dreading masking the very thin rings at the front of the pods to get them painted Chrome, that is one reason I have left them un-glued at the moment. However, the fit is so good I could quite happily leave it as it is now and it would not fall apart.

That is it for now, thanks for looking again.

Ray

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Brad said:

You need some of that flexitape for curves in 1 or 2mm to mask off the front of the engine nacelles. 

@Brad naturally it is 3mm that I have! I will find a way, I can be persistent (as you will see later in this post!).

Today has been a good day. I have sprayed Tamiya Grey Primer on all the remaining parts on the runners and the built bits like the tailplanes and engine pods. I am letting that lot dry and set now. Then I got on with the undercarriage. The detailing on this section is still very high, and the main gear legs had five parts to start with before any wheels and retraction gear:

DSCN7465

It took a bit of doing to get the smaller bits on, but a good(ish) set of magnifiers helped. Here I took a risk. I fitted each leg to the still unattached wing - there was a retraction jack which helped with alignment and with luck things will work out okay. The port leg did not want to sit straight for some reason, it canted inwards and was toe-in too, but the retraction jack sorted that out with a little patience.

The nose wheel was something else. The main section was very thin and fragile, but I got it off the runner okay. I added another, more substantial part and then readied myself to fit a very small bit which would eventually also have two even smaller clear parts added for the landing lights(?). I got the part in position in a set of tweezers, and you can guess the rest! Twenty minutes I looked for it down in the carpet and gave it up for lost. I added what I had built to the fuselage, and the part came apart - which was actually a Good Thing, as there was no way I could get it into the wheel well. So I put one small part in, then the larger, fragile part and was happy.

Then something started bugging me. I hate losing parts in the carpet, which looks like this:

DSCN7467

So I got my reading glasses on, my head torch out and started looking again. Then, guess what?

DSCN7466

I found the part! It was only about 1mm long, and I always have a strange feeling of glee when I retrieve something from the Carpet Monster and leave it hungry. The only trouble is, I know have to add the two lenses to it, and the lot to that bloomin' leg now...

It was now that I added the wing to the fuselage properly. I was tempted to just keep it dry-fitted, but ended up gluing it properly. Here is the Il-62M on it unshod legs now:

DSCN7468

Well, that is it for now, the finishing line is getting closer now.

Thanks for looking, Ray

• Like 6

Your Il-62 is looking superb Ray. Must get a move on with mine!

Apologies if I've missed it further up the thread, but which grey did you use? I've never been all that happy with the greys I've chosen for Russian transport aircraft and yours looks the part.

Hello @zebra, thanks for your kind comments. I just used Tamiya Light Grey Primer straight from the aerosol can and gave it a thinned Humbrol Gloss varnish coat. I hope that helps.

Ray

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello all, it has been another good day for this. I managed to get that front undercarriage leg landing light assembly done and fitted, and I am glad I rummaged on the carpet to find it! Adding the two lenses was pretty straight forward, I just turned them over and used a damp wooden cocktail stick to pick them up and place them on that minuscule part. I have also dealt with the engine pods. I masked them, and found that I actually DID have 2mm Tamiya Tape for Curves after all, so that made short work of masking the thin rings at the front for chrome. I used normal masking tape for the very complex double compound curves at the back of the pods for the Stainless section, but shortly afterwards I had this:

DSCN7471

The Stainless area had been masked off to preserve the Light Grey primer underneath, and I had left the front section unmasked to allow the rings to have a white undercoat for the Chrome. All went fairly well, but I did have a slight mishap when I unmasked the other engine:

DSCN7472

There was a little seepage under the flexible tape, and some of the white/grey had come off too, but a fine brush and Humbrol Gloss White acrylic soon sorted that out. I belatedly remembered that the 'bullet' on the tailplane assembly also needed white, so, after having painted the red end sections, that was masked and sprayed too. I just have to re-mask when that has cured and add the Stainless leading edges. (PS - It is white, the photo does not reflect that!)

DSCN7473

The remaining transfers are on too, so there really is not much more to do now, especially as today I also got the wheels fitted. I had masked them with the centre masks supplied in the Montex mask set, and they worked a treat, and this time I was able to save them. Here are the components still needed to get together:

DSCN7474

At the moment, the model has not needed any nose weight. I had deliberately (honest!) not added any due to the tail wheel, but was surprised to see it sitting on its own 10 feet. How it will do when I add the engine pods and tailplane I do not know, but will find out when I try!

DSCN7475

That is it for now, thanks for looking,

Ray

• Like 6

This one is now done! Today I masked the tailplanes and got the Stainless leading edges painted and buffed. The light at the top of the fairing had a coat of Clear Red (as per box art), and the very front of the bullet fairing had some Revell 90 Silver painted on - it should have been Stainless, but I could not mask such a small circle even with tape for curves so I did it freehand. The engine pods were glued in, the tailplanes glued on, and then I found that they tipped the balance for the kit, and it sat back slightly on it's haunches but the main undercarriage wheels stopped it going right back on it's tail. I added a peg to the top of the front fuselage with blue tack and then popped the tail wheel in and let that set so all wheels are touching the ground.

I then called that it and took the model to the photograph area and got a lot of shots of it. I was just about to post on here when I realised I had not added the anti-glare panel, so I did that then re-took the photographs. Phew! Anyway, here is Ilya:

DSCN7497

DSCN7496 (2)

And to show the difference between the Il-62M and the VC-10:

DSCN7494

The kit was absolutely fabulous, but not quite perfect. There are a few sink marks along the fuselage where the location pins are, and the cockpit glazing was a bit flexible and was tricky to get right, which I did not. As for the detail, it is second to none in my opinion and I thoroughly enjoyed it, it was easier than my Felixstowe vacform! I will pop some different images in the Gallery in a mo.

Thanks for looking and the advice and comments, it was all very much appreciated.

Ray

• Like 9

• Ray S changed the title to VC-10? No, it is just an Ilyushin +++FINISHED+++
  • 3 weeks later...

First time I participate to a group build, but I never thought the hardest part would be to keep on with following all these wonderful achievements.

Congrats for this cracking build.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I seem to have neglected this the last few weeks, :( , I'll call it being busy, its more likely being inattentive, I was told that from a young age. :D That looks super Ray, definitely one of these in the plans, sounds like a small amount of lead shot somewhere up front would be a good scheme too. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

sounds like a small amount of lead shot somewhere up front would be a good scheme too

Steve, I would agree. The tail support wheel helps, and it would have probably been more secure if someone who shall remain nameless remembered to put in the appropriate wheel bay!

Ray

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is a super build of a really cool jet. I have a great memory of seeing an Il-62 take off from Sydney Airport way back in the 1990s. They flew these into Sydney just for a little while, and then only a few times a week. 

What I remember most apart from the craziness of even seeing an Il-62 at Sydney was the NOISE.

Once in my life I also saw a VC-10, at RAF Leuchars at an airshow. It stopped the road behind the runway as it took off. Similarly insanely noisy!

Such cool planes and fantastic models you've made - well done!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1