A Gee-Bee for the GB - Lindberg 1/32 GeeBee

Marklo

acb56e13-97be-4e01-818d-662ae1d4a659.jpeThe box

52741d15-7c15-4a49-b897-8d3135b7c3be.jpeThe kit. Not a bad kit overall but the engine is awful and the interior needs a bit of detailing.

I have a week to mull over the best methods of fixing both :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 8

• Marklo changed the title to A Gee-Bee for the GB - Lindberg 1/32 GeeBee
2 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

Is the tag, there will be no scratchbuildng a typo?

It now reads "there will be scratchbuilding". Did it change? 

I am going to follow along and see where this one goes.

cheers, Graham

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GrahamCC said:

It now reads "there will be scratchbuilding". Did it change? 

I am going to follow along and see where this one goes.

cheers, Graham

It's there now- I knew I couldn't believe everything I saw on the internet.😬

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

Is the tag, there will be no scratchbuildng a typo? Also, it seems to be a bit low on the wing count by your standards🤣

I thought it said ‘there will be scratchbuilding’ 

Yes I looked and looked an it’s on of those new fangled monoplanes :) at least there is some rigging.  The challenge here will be to make a reasonable wasp engine and not to make a fingerprint ridden mess of the (apparently) simple colourscheme :) and of course to do that while building my Oertz, Alcock and Skyhawk, not to mention prep for the Me109 GB. Ah yes the upside of lockdown; having lots of time to do some modelling. And seeing how I’m unlikely to see a vaccination this side of the summer it gives me something to do other than gardening and bickering with the family :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

resized_57846588-df08-4edf-88f9-7e7a7a9bSome small progress; a scale pencil sketch for the wasp cylinder. My plan is to make a one cylinder from either sheet styrene or sculpey then cast the other eight from it. Not sure on the crank case, I may make a buck and plunge mold one, but maybe check the spares box and scrap bin first to see if I have anything close.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4

So Plan A is to assemble the cylinder from discs of .5mm styrene sheet to which ends I have spent an hour or so cutting and drilling sheet to mount on mandrels and turn to the required diameters on my little large.

resized_9ac66e7b-31f9-44ec-bbb2-ebb21220

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 5

resized_a35f880e-b315-4f05-837d-d42bf36eAssembled, as you can see the kit goes together fast. But there are quite a few gaps and raised panel lines and demarcation lines for the red that will have to go.

• Like 3

Disaster. Attached the upper deck with revel contacts and secured it with masking tape, which lifted some of the white, so I sanded it back intending to reprint it then resorts the white. However about thirty seconds after spraying the primer the white lifted and went all orange peel :( so nothing else for it but to scrub it back to the primer/ bare plastic ( about half way there atm) then reprint and restart I don’t think I’ll use the rattle can white again, much as I hate to I’ll probably airbrush some Humbrol 130 over the primer. Still on a positive note the surface finish where I’m done is excellent.

Edited by Marklo
  • Sad 1

resized_48579c49-e572-499b-aa41-347b43fbOn the third attempt I have a semi decent coat of white. Still need to do a bit more work in that upper decking seam and polish the paintwork down a bit, but getting there. 

• Like 6

resized_407679fa-7c87-4a20-adb6-83273268Masked up. Unfortunately I dropped the thing after painting the red then the red rattle can reacted with the paint on the fuselage when I retouched it. Im hoping I just need to buff it down a bit then respray  it. Lesson learnt …. Don’t mix different brands of rattle cans on the same build.

• Sad 3

resized_e24afaf6-a8fc-4007-a583-59e48c12a168.jpeg

It’s official this is now annoying me, the paintwork is as rough as a badgers back bits and I don’t like the canopy framing. I could spend another week trying to retouch it and polish it an it would still be naff.

So it’s going to spend a day or two in disinfectant, get sanded back to bare plastic and painted properly, no rattle cans. I think I’ll also make a new canopy while I’m at it.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

resized_b3ff1be4-9b7e-4c06-84ec-d4fe7ac1The paint just won’t come off, but in trying to remove it it’s actually polished down to a pretty good finish. So I just need to polish down a the last few scratches and blemishes and spot retouch the paint and canopy notwithstanding we’re there !!!

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4