Academy Panzer III J North Africa

Hi all, I built this for the PZ III STGB but wanted to post it here for some feedback. It’s a nice kit although I would probably replace the track next time. I added some spare Fruli tracks kindly donated by a mate and a Jerry can rack with some Tamiya cans on the rear. I’ll post the build thread at the end so that you can see the process.

51108532618_2f39f066f1_b.jpg

51108059827_5d94d99572_b.jpg

51108634106_e65d533626_b.jpg

51108059842_4f7851a4d8_b.jpg

Build thread:

My main work on points are:

> Trying to improve my dust work, I think I’ll try a more layered approach next time

> Write a check list for complex paint jobs to avoid missing steps in future

> Work on figure painting, I need to force myself to do this even if it means painting figures that aren’t going to end up with a kit

> Remember that less is more; looking at the GB thread I think my favourite work is actually ‘cleaner’ than mine, I normally restrain myself when it comes to weathering but this time I thought I’d push it further and I’m not sure I’m happy with the result.

TIA for any comments or advice 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Hi WHAdjacent,

It's a good job IMHO, maybe for me, the dust is not too well integrated, but overall it looks good.
The antenna, although they were quite thick, maybe it is a bit out of scale ... or not? ... in any case if you decide to change it, it is very simple.
I really like what you say about writing the steps of the complex techniques to use, I also made a "small paper notice", once I saw the new techniques that I had when I returned to the hobby after more than 20 years. ..
The figures are also a headache for me, very good of you to force yourself to carry out some.
They are very beautiful once obtained, and also add life and a feeling of scale to the vehicle ...
I would like very much to see how your next kit looks.
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

1 hour ago, Milan Mynar said:

It is a good kit, the weakest link are the track links. It would be really  better  to exchange them for others. You made good model from this kit.

Definitely, the Fruli tracks I used as spares just shows how weak the kit ones were in retrospect. Unfortunately the cost of replacements is prohibitive.

14 minutes ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi WHAdjacent,

It's a good job IMHO, maybe for me, the dust is not too well integrated, but overall it looks good.
The antenna, although they were quite thick, maybe it is a bit out of scale ... or not? ... in any case if you decide to change it, it is very simple.
I really like what you say about writing the steps of the complex techniques to use, I also made a "small paper notice", once I saw the new techniques that I had when I returned to the hobby after more than 20 years. ..
The figures are also a headache for me, very good of you to force yourself to carry out some.
They are very beautiful once obtained, and also add life and a feeling of scale to the vehicle ...
I would like very much to see how your next kit looks.
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

Thanks, I think next time I’ll do the dust over some hairspray, that gives much more control and avoids the pooling and staining I got here. The antenna is the right diameter at the base, unfortunately they were tapered and the carpet monster got the kit one which is a right pain. If I can come up with a better alternative I’ll replace it.

Thanks,

Stefan

Liking it mate. Looks like it has spent a good time in the heat and dust of North Africa. Nice work.👏

What dust effects do you use? Pastels and pigments are nice to use and are easy to remove if you are unhappy. (They are also easy to remove if you are happy so beware.)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WarhammerAdjacent said:

Write a check list for complex paint jobs to avoid missing steps in future

3 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

I really like what you say about writing the steps of the complex techniques to use, I also made a "small paper notice", once I saw the new techniques that I had when I returned to the hobby after more than 20 years.

A good idea especially if you have many steps to your weathering ......it's also no bad idea to work out a clear method for each theatre of operation....IE desert european and snow/winter....and adjust to a particular situation........ also don't be afraid to try different products to get the finish your seeing in your mind ...for instance most people will turn to pigments for dust but oil paint worked in the right way can give beautiful dusty finishes and has the benefit of being very controllable.......personally i think you have done a lovely job on your Panzer III but moreover you had a critical eye and have already decided where your strengths and weaknesses are............and just for the record your figure painting is better than mine ...an area i desperately need to work on :goodjob:

• Like 1

I think the build, painting and weathering effects all look great-my only comment would be that the photographing does not do your work proper justice.  Everything looks overly dark and muted-looking.  Try shooting outside when there is not direct sunlight and the results will show off your finish work much better I’d think.

Hi Stefan. As I mentiond in your build thread - you have produced an absolutely stunning result!!  Very impressive modelling all round! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1