Fw 190 A-4, Erich Rudorffer. Eduard 1/48 + detail sets

11 minutes ago, Convair said:

Very nice model, I liked it a lot.

Hi Convair, I'm glad you do 😉

8 minutes ago, noelh said:

Very nice detail work and weathering. I might just get me myself one of those kits. 

One nit pick I see you've chipped the trailing edge of the propellor blades. Normally that wouldn't happen. The leading edge takes the hits. The BMW engine rotates clockwise as seen from the cockpit. 

Nitpicking as I say but certainly an excellent model. 

Hi noelh, thanks for the correction! you are absolutely right...when in the zone doing the chipping I always seem to get it wrong 😆

cheers

Lovely 1/48 Fw 190, really neat build.

Could I ask if you know of/have ever found any photographs of Rudorffer's 190 in this scheme? I've only ever been able to find drawings of it but like to have photo for confirmation before applying paint to a model!

52 minutes ago, hopkp said:

Lovely 1/48 Fw 190, really neat build.

Could I ask if you know of/have ever found any photographs of Rudorffer's 190 in this scheme? I've only ever been able to find drawings of it but like to have photo for confirmation before applying paint to a model!

Hi hopkp, thank you.

No, I haven't been able to find any definitive photo, just one or two which may suggest a three colour scheme as presented here with RLM 79/78/80.

There is very conflicting info online and I can't even find any biography books on Rudorffer either. He clearly is the less-known german ace, even thought he lived until 98!

Eduard's instructions booklet shown the Tunisian scheme as a two colour, just RLM79/79 and one white stripe in fuselage but not in the wings. I've seen, however some photos that shows white stripe at least under the wings...

If you look careful at the bubbled area, that may look like a different colour? Possible RLM80?? Although, it could just be dirt? And yes, the guy at the cockpit is Rudorffer and the plane is an A-4. I like to think that is indeed the green colour, because the shape is like the camouflage pattern suggested in the colour diagrams

TfDD6QLh.jpg

This next photo, is claimed to be from a home movie filmed by Rudorffer himself while in North Africa...and you can clearly see the yellows and white stripes on the plane in the background (i found this info in another site)

2tanexHh.png

But as you can see nothing really definitive! 

In any case, regardless of the accuracy of the scheme, it is absolutely worth doing it, cause it looks great 😉 ...but that's me.

cheers mate

3 minutes ago, Gary Brantley said:

Ready For Inspection 😀

AHA! 😄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, FalkeEins said:

that would be my site...

here's the link FWIW

http://falkeeins.blogspot.com/2018/02/fw-190-iijg-2-in-tunisia-in-colour.html

No, it wasn't. I've found the image in another forum (i...) 

But in any case, thanks for the link to your one cause it's amazing info.

cheers

Edited by jarkmodels
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, 28ZComeback said:

Stunning museum piece! How did you achieve the slight variation in the light brown color-staining with oils?  

Thank you 28ZComeback 👍...

Well yes, that is part of the process. There is a sequence of techniques layered to achieve the colour variation, fading, weathering and visual interest, and using oil paints are a fundamental part.

Specifically regarding oils I use a technique called OPR or Oil Paint Rendering by Michael Rinaldi (check out his work and get his books! I promise you won't regret and will learn a ton!) 

cheers

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, jarkmodels said:

Hi hopkp, thank you.

No, I haven't been able to find any definitive photo, just one or two which may suggest a three colour scheme as presented here with RLM 79/78/80. There is very conflicting info online and I can't even find any biography books on Rudorffer either. He clearly is the less-known german ace, even thought he lived until 98!

Eduard's instructions booklet shown the Tunisian scheme as a two colour, just RLM79/79 and one white stripe in fuselage but not in the wings. I've seen, however some photos that shows white stripe at least under the wings...If you look careful at the bubbled area, that may look like a different colour? Possible RLM80?? Although, it could just be dirt? And yes, the guy at the cockpit is Rudorffer and the plane is an A-4. I like to think that is indeed the green colour, because the shape is like the camouflage pattern suggested in the colour diagrams.

This next photo, is claimed to be from a home movie filmed by Rudorffer himself while in North Africa...and you can clearly see the yellows and white stripes on the plane in the background (i found this info in another site)

But as you can see nothing really definitive! 

In any case, regardless of the accuracy of the scheme, it is absolutely worth doing it, cause it looks great 😉 ...but that's me.

Thanks for the very informative reply - and for posting the photos, both of which are new to me. I think a lot of the attraction of WWII Luftwaffe colour schemes is that they are so open to speculation. As you say, it looks great anyway!

• Like 1

On 4/14/2021 at 5:03 PM, jarkmodels said:

Thank you 28ZComeback 👍...

Well yes, that is part of the process. There is a sequence of techniques layered to achieve the colour variation, fading, weathering and visual interest, and using oil paints are a fundamental part.

Specifically regarding oils I use a technique called OPR or Oil Paint Rendering by Michael Rinaldi (check out his work and get his books! I promise you won't regret and will learn a ton!) 

cheers

I just ordered Rinaldi’s upcoming book on the He-219.  Until reading your post and Rinaldis YouTube page, I was a “oil drop” guy.  Oil Rendering seems to be a paint process of adding light and gradual shade to a mono color. Thank you again. 

• Like 1

On 15/04/2021 at 09:25, hopkp said:

Thanks for the very informative reply - and for posting the photos, both of which are new to me. I think a lot of the attraction of WWII Luftwaffe colour schemes is that they are so open to speculation. As you say, it looks great anyway!

My pleasure, hopkp 😉, happy to help. Yeah, in my opinion, the Luftwaffe has the most visually interesting camos... ( and the same can be said about the rest of the Wehrmacht forces)

4 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Fantastic, a masterclass, my Zvezda 190 will be  getting this scheme ! (But not the detail )

Wulfman

Hi Wulfman, thank you! looking forward to see yours 😉

33 minutes ago, 28ZComeback said:

I just ordered Rinaldi’s upcoming book on the He-219.  Until reading your post and Rinaldis YouTube page, I was a “oil drop” guy.  Oil Rendering seems to be a paint process of adding light and gradual shade to a mono color. Thank you again. 

Thats great 28Zcomback...you won't regret it! OPR is much more than just adding light and gradual shade. You can actually achieve all weathering processes just with oil paints. And in a controlled way.

cheers

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
On 14/04/2021 at 03:56, jarkmodels said:

+++

If you look careful at the bubbled area, that may look like a different colour? Possible RLM80?? Although, it could just be dirt? And yes, the guy at the cockpit is Rudorffer and the plane is an A-4. I like to think that is indeed the green colour, because the shape is like the camouflage pattern suggested in the colour diagrams

TfDD6QLh.jpg

+++

It is a stunning build!   Another one of those preventing me showing any of the atrocities to the world of plastic models committed by me.

"But" when taking a look at that photograph, "knowing" it is Africa, my interpretation with a pistol held by somebody to my head would be:

RLM 70/71 uppers with an additional third color, maybe a spray of RLM 79. Cooling ring Dunkelgrün, followed by Schwarzgrün (look at the prop blades and compare), followed by "that third color (prety dark for 79)".

Lower section of cooler ring RLM 04 yellow, lower engine cowling underside camo, maybe 65, maybe 76.

(and I apologize for writing this)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jochen Barett said:

It is a stunning build!   Another one of those preventing me showing any of the atrocities to the world of plastic models committed by me.

"But" when taking a look at that photograph, "knowing" it is Africa, my interpretation with a pistol held by somebody to my head would be:

RLM 70/71 uppers with an additional third color, maybe a spray of RLM 79. Cooling ring Dunkelgrün, followed by Schwarzgrün (look at the prop blades and compare), followed by "that third color (prety dark for 79)".

Lower section of cooler ring RLM 04 yellow, lower engine cowling underside camo, maybe 65, maybe 76.

(and I apologize for writing this)

Is all good mate. There are things we may never know for sure and we can only speculate with the limited info we've got now.... to me this camo was so attractive (and different) that I went for it 😉 

thanks for looking and commenting

19 hours ago, jarkmodels said:

Is all good mate. There are things we may never know for sure and we can only speculate with the limited info we've got now.... to me this camo was so attractive (and different) that I went for it 😉 

thanks for looking and commenting

It is a stunning build. And nobody will mistake it for a Spitfire 😎

• Like 1