tamiya 1/350 yamato 78025

Looking good Steve, wasn't aware those cylinders with the three big pointy bits coming out just sat there - is that so you can take one out and photo etch it/do a cutaway? Or just to make it realistic (I can't tell from wreck photos if the how much of that structure fell out)?

Might just be me, but I've always fancied the Yamato as aesthetically pleasing as a Tiger or Hood.

David

• Like 1

david , the instructions come with a version for a waterline model , I agree with you , it's probably has the most beautiful lines of all the battleships .

big dave , they come with the kit and you get 2 different types . if you look at the photos above , you can see them . the two secondary turrets come with 2 as well .

Edited by steve5
  • Like 1

Gidday Steve, I read that the reason she had a wide nose was to give the anchors clearance and not hit the bulbous bow when dropped. Your first two photos above demonstrate that superbly. And the detail you've done, which your photos display, will come in very handy for me when I add all this detail to my scratchbuilt model in 1/2400. (Yeah, right! 😁)

Seriously, your photos do show how that complex (to me, anyway) stern area worked. For example, the doors leading into the hangar. This continues to look very good. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

Gidday Steve, yeah, those that know me don't always take me seriously, and if they do I warn them not to. 😀 

On the modelling front, I would like to do some IJN warships in 1/600 but sadly not very many are available in this scale, and none in my part of the world that I'm aware of. (I don't buy online as I'm a cross between a dinosaur and a Neanderthal). I'm doing more and more scratch modifications in my builds now and soon will give hulls a go. But the Japanese (just to be difficult 😀) have a lot of curves in their structures rather than straight bulkheads etc and hence to scratchbuild some of their ships would be challenging.

But I do like a lot of their ships, including this one you're doing, and I'd like to give it a go one day. If you don't mind your photos will be invaluable when I do. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

thanks for the likes guys.

started on the railings , the biggest hassle was I painted them on the sprue and nearly all the holes filled up . took ages with an old airbrush needle to clean them out .

spacer.png

• Like 3

cheers dave appreciate that . 

thought i better start the rigging , before i finish the railings , sure as eggs i'd snap something leaning in .I haven't painted the line yet , I used plain ol knitting in elastic for the rigging  .

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by steve5
  • Like 3

Looking good, I've not been brave to try rigging anything yet, that'll have to change with he current one, for a large model it seems to of gone together quite quickly so - slow down you're putting some of us to shame 😉

• Like 1

:worthy: blimey, that is a proper cats cradle. I’m well impressed. I envy you your patience AND your eyesight.

Any chance of booking some lessons with you ?

I am a form believer that rigging and rails are the making of ship model.

Jon

Edited by Faraway
  • Like 1

Gidday Steve, did you get that redback spider that's been climbing all over your model?

2 hours ago, steve5 said:

I haven't painted the line yet

I guess that implies you'll be painting the rigging sometime. Is it going to be difficult to do paint it in situ? Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

cheers guy's thanks for the comments . the rigging isn't as difficult as I first thought . I bought this stuff from the local habidashery . it's clear , 200m , very fine and cheap .about $6 . all you do is CA it to your starting point with just a dab , work out what tension you want and put a dab on you anchor point , glues almost straight away , cut the excess off with a good pair of scissors .

jeff I found the painting of the line {I have just started } to be fairly easy so far .

spacer.png

• Like 3

finally got all the post's in and the railing completed .

spacer.png

all the anti-aircraft guns are done

spacer.png

I think I'm going to this boy done .

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by steve5
  • Like 4