tamiya 1/350 yamato 78025

my new build , the yamato . 

don't know how I will go with this, all 1,500 parts .

spacer.png

their is some PE with the kit , it will be mostly OOB , though I did get the railings ,not sure about them either , nearly 1,000 pieces , sheeesh .

spacer.png

and the wooden deck

spacer.png

• Like 6

you meant next weekend , next year  , maybe . 😝

I could be a while actually starting this kit , the instructions aren't bad , but the book is 66 pages long , and needs a fair amount of study , plus my local little shop where I get my paints , is totally out of tamiya paints . so I am off to brisbane in 2 weeks time , so I will get some there .

Edited by steve5

Gidday Steve, I've never done a complex build like this but I would imagine it isn't one to be rushed or jumped into without careful study of the kit and instructions. I like the ship itself, despite it being already obsolete at it's completion. Good luck with it. Regards, Jeff.

cheers guy's for the comments , 

forgot to show the lovely metal name plate that comes with the kit

spacer.png

the fit on this kit is first rate so far , this bow section is only sitting in place .

spacer.png

spacer.png

test fitted the false deck .

spacer.png

glued some bits and pieces under the main deck , mainly for the turrets .

spacer.png

we modelers must be all the same , these bits of PE , are under the deck , we know they wont be seen , but we still go to the trouble of putting them on .

spacer.png

off to brisbane tomorrow for supplies , yes 😃

Edited by steve5
  • Like 6

Hello.

Beware with the tamiya new tools kit.

The stern is completely wrong molded.

The only thing you can do to correct this is to sand until you get a triangle form.

Note that the desk on the original ship's stern was a bit longer that the hull.

So sanding is possible.

I am working on the new tools tamiya Yamato and that is what i have done.

I'll post pictures as soon as possible.

btwj.jpg

9p90.jpg

Here is the explication.

Sorry for the language which is french.

yalm.jpg

88xq.jpg

p91v.jpg

Edited by jacques caroff
  • Like 4

cheers for that jacques , don't know if i am up to it though , as i have the hull painted ,really looking forward to your photos  . might have a glass myself faraway .

spacer.png

got it mounted on a work board

spacer.png

started working on the aft area . rubbed some uschi powder on the rails for effect .

spacer.png

Edited by steve5
  • Like 6

I must say that looks quite the kit, they seem to of put a lot of thought into how it will go together and giving the modeller an idea of the inner layout, areas we wouldn't normally see or worry about. That said its an odd way they've out it together at the same time. Your build is looking like its off to a good start, 

Also do I spy ICM's Markgraf in the background?

Edited by S-boat 55
  • Like 1

this has  a very different feel to most other 1/350 builds sboat55 , you do get some doors you can put in both open and shut positions.

yes , quite correct , ICm's markgraf .

• Like 1

got to work on the sides of the hull and the deck's .

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

not sure of the name of this deck , flight deck ? got the PE added , which is very thick and hard to cut .

spacer.png

the deck painted and weathered , those brown things are stickers not decals , do not like them .

you only get 1 go at putting them on , decals slide a bit into position , you also have to cut really close to the edge , which could be very dangerous .

this was the best I could do .

spacer.png

got the deck painted , had a wooden deck , but it was just rubbish , very thick and wrinkly .

painted it with MM light tan .

spacer.png

followed by a layer of gloss , then a coating of burnt umber oil wash .

spacer.png

then wipe off with clean tissues . I know their is some really good weathering experts out there , can anyone , help me slightly weather this deck please .

spacer.png

Edited by steve5
  • Like 5

I can't find the book I'm thinking of, but I think she had her deck stained almost black with funnel soot and solvent during Leyte and Okinawa ops.  Additionally the decking, from memory, is Japanese Hinoki Cypress, which tans a very light grey colour with a hint of brown over time.

battleship yamato, anatomy of a ship, states the metal decking
(chequered patterns) were not painted and were zinc-galvanised steel. A colourised photo in that book of the wood deck has shades of white, light grey, tan, pink, orange and brown (when new).

I've seen many methods of deck painting, ranging from cutting small strips as planking and slowly adding different coloured layers to doing oil paint splotches of different shades and blending them together to create wear and tear. I religiously use wood decks as I'm lazy. Personally, for Yamato, and agreeing with Jeff, your deck looks good already, but I'd be tempted to lightly drybrush brown on raised planking lines (or wash if they are sunken) and then wack on some black wash and build that up in layers, putting it on lightly in walked areas and that forward hull dip or were water has ingressed, given what I assume is the date of your build (late-war). From experience, stop that process when it looks good as additional layers will just ruin it.

David

Steve nice progress as to weathering I painted the decks on my KGV build I went for a slightly darker yellow as a base coat I used Tamiya desert yellow then used a mix of oils Burnt Sienna, Raw Umber, Olive Green and Naples Yellow putting small dots in various locations and blending in the colours with white spirit and a broad flat brush and piece of sponge.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 1