Rareplanes DH Venom FB4 vacform

BritJet

Next one from me will be this oldie;

e7d162a3-c0f7-46bf-ac7f-9b6dbfa43778.JPG

Looks to be a fairly straightforward build but the canopy is way too small and very brown and the decals are very basic so I'll have to sort those out. An Aeroclub ejection seat will help with the detail as well as a bit of extra weight up front. The kit has got a few of those new fangled injection moulded parts which will never catch on.

295b56f1-f87e-407a-b140-de1b9f07c521.JPG

I should get the parts separated from the sheet tonight. No idea of what markings this will end up with yet.

Steve

• Like 6

Looks like this should be an interesting build Steve. Mind if I follow along? I'll have to agree with you about that new fangled  called In-jec-tion Moldying. Its like that Inter inner net I keep on hearin' about. Ain't worth fooling with. nobody'll want it.:deadhorse:

• Haha 1

Sorry if I've misunderstood how this works!

I like to have a couple of builds on the go at the same time, quite often it speeds things up with using the same colour paint etc but mostly keeps me focussed while waiting for filler to harden or paint to dry.

I've got the parts separated from the sheet and found a spare Aeroclub Venom canopy I can use which is the right size and clear so win-win. Most/all of the small parts will get replaced as it's easier to make them from scratch than clean these up.

d99bffc6-75bc-43ad-a686-1f49a7674c01.jpg

Steve

• Like 9

8 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Sorry - just too slow to get around to reading them!

Regards,

Adrian

No problem, I know how difficult it is to keep up with everything that gets posted on BM each day.

Cheers.

Steve

It's nice to see another Rareplane joining the build list. I've yet to attempt a Venom, so watching yours come together will be a treat for me.

I'm enjoying my build of the NA Savage, it's giving my modelling abilities a good workout for sure. 

Rareplanes did so many subjects that, at the time, no one else was ever likely to do and they were always very nicely done. The Venom is a decent kit but the canopy is way off and needs to be replaced, decent decals are easily sorted from other sources. I was looking at your Savage build the other day and it's coming along really well, your kit must be a very late one as the 'Produced by Hannants' text wasn't around for long before production stopped.

A fair bit of progress this afternoon/evening, I've got everything rubbed down, the wings, tailbooms, fuel tanks and tailplane halves together and the fuselage about ready to be joined. There's lots of weight as far forward as I can get it but I can always get a bit more in once everything is in one piece before the jetpipe goes in. 

72f589c3-ccce-4d1b-b46a-d4d252611b06.jpg

Steve

• Like 13

Thanks Pat.

I've got the fuselage together now and done a balance test with the wings/tail unit held in place with masking tape. Luckily there is enough weight up front to keep it on it's nose. The Aeroclub canopy that I thought was a spare turns out to belong to an Aeroclub Venom I want to build so I'll be making a mould off it so I can vacform one. Annoying but it won't take more than half an hour to make and drill the mould. All the joints have been filled and after a bit of rubbing down I should be able to get everything joined together over the weekend.

Cheers.

Steve

Just caught up with this one. You are doing a good job on the Venom. Rareplanes kits were nice, I did quite a few in the eighties and nineties, before family life and job seriously interfered with modelling. I built the Venom in about 1986-7 for the IPMS mag when the late Tim McLelland (Laming) was editor, I don't remember what happened to it afterwards though. My only problem with it was that it was that the plastic around the tailbooms met the fuselage was a bit thin. Amazing that there is still no injection moulded single seat Venom currently around. Come on Airfix, SH, AZ/KP, pull your fingers out (though I still have the Aeroclub kit in the stash). Eurodecals from Fantasy Printshop have a sheet for 1/72nd

• Like 1

Cheers. I built several Rareplanes kits back then as well and they were all well produced. Your memory of the thin plastic near the tailboom joint matches exactly what I've got so there will need to be some reinforcement put in place there.

I'm really surprised that Special Hobby or one of the related brands haven't done the Venom, with the RAF use in a few conflicts, especially Suez, and the long Swiss service with all their variants and colour schemes. I'm sure it would sell at least as well as some of their other subjects. I've got the Aeroclub FB1 on the go at the same time as this and it's definitely a step up from a vacform but a long way from a modern kit. Of course as soon as I've got these two finished ,after spending many tears in the stash, a brand new kit will be announced!

Steve

• Like 3

On 17/04/2021 at 11:48, Mr T said:

Eurodecals from Fantasy Printshop have a sheet for 1/72nd

I missed that useful nugget of info at first, I've ordered a sheet today - thanks for the pointer Mr. T! I should get my money's worth out of it as apart from this and the Aeroclub FB1 I'm currently working on I want to do an NF2 and NF3.

All the major parts are now joined and filled, the tailboom joints are definitely the worst part of this kit but I used some sprue sticking out from inside the tailbooms to bridge the joint then 5 minute epoxy inside the wing fairing and left it all to harden off. I think the rubbing down will take a while, not because there's lots of it but it will be fiddly getting in to the right places.

12c188c1-bd91-4e68-a94b-b6faa1a35119.JPG

Thanks for looking.

Steve

• Like 8

That is really coming on well now, you have worked really quickly on it. I cannot remember if the Eurodecals sheet has night fighters on it, I think they scaled down a sheet that must have been done for something else. You are probably right about a new kit being announced  the day after you finish yours. Mind you, I got so fed up with waiting for Mikromir to bring their York to market  that I went ahead and built the Mach2 kit last year.

I am hoping to slip in the Boxkites Miles M20 before the end of the GB, 20 odd years in the stash must be long enough.

• Like 1

It's been an easy build without any nasty surprises which is a nice change. I'm just making the mould so I can vacform a new canopy. The Eurodecals sheet has got two NF2s on it so I'll have to be creative for the NF3 but it is a big help. They do it in 1/48 as well so probably originally for the Classic Airframes kits.

Mach2 kits almost qualify for this GB with the amount of filler and parts that need to be replaced/scratchbuilt! I've not looked at their York but did the Argosy a couple of years ago which was actually a decent kit.

The Miles M20 has probably lurked in the stash for long enough to deserve it's place on the workbench! I doubt you'll have problems with it, nice and small and from the Rareplanes stable too.

Steve

With the M20 that is what I am hoping. I do enjoy something off the beaten track from time to time. The York is also a decent kit with just the odd quirk or two. 

On 4/13/2021 at 10:15 PM, BritJet said:

72f589c3-ccce-4d1b-b46a-d4d252611b06.jpg

Steve

Coming along very nicely, Steve. I really like the tube spars, a great idea I'll try to remember for future builds where there isn't much contact area at the wing roots, and also good for alignment too :)

Mike 

Cheers.

On 20/04/2021 at 18:56, Mr T said:

With the M20 that is what I am hoping. I do enjoy something off the beaten track from time to time. The York is also a decent kit with just the odd quirk or two. 

I definitely like the less well known subjects and the odd quirk or two keep it interesting!

23 hours ago, Mike N said:

Coming along very nicely, Steve. I really like the tube spars, a great idea I'll try to remember for future builds where there isn't much contact area at the wing roots, and also good for alignment too :)

Mike 

I nearly always use the tubes on vacforms as everything just lines up exactly where you need it to be and it makes the joint nice and strong. Just a metal rod is enough on resin as it's solid around the hole to keep it in the right place.

How's the Liberty Belle doing......?

Steve

• Like 2

I've not had much time this week, but all the filler has been rubbed down and a a coat of primer. Also got the vacform mould made for the new canopy.

d75a7bfa-ad51-4f5f-94dd-61b50648c624.JPG

Hopefully I can get the canopy moulded and attached and then some colours on over the weekend.

Steve

• Like 8

Cheers Steve.

I've had too many other things to do to get the canopy vacformed but have got the colours on. The Aeroclub FB1 I've been working on at the same time in the background.

abeb0468-f805-404e-a92b-c44e6a0e03c5.JPG

Thanks for looking.

Steve

• Like 7

That's looking very nice. I always thought the Venom suited the post 1951 camouflage scheme. Might have to root out my Aeroclub ones