TA-4J Skyhawk ******GONE!!!*********

Jabba

Started to apply the main decals beginning with the tail ones. They are not too bad a little on the thick side, but they are brittle as can be seen in the close up photo. I am not looking forward to applying the decal around the refueling pipe.

resized_3f02b596-ec7a-48f1-b010-0b145214

resized_ba4d4f92-7059-4b8e-a267-632cfd93

• Like 5

22 hours ago, modelling minion said:

You might have a few cracks and little missing bits to deal with but I think that you will be able to hide them with some paint touch ups.

Hopefully with the correct shade of paint. I have ordered/got the two colours and I hope that they are true as I am no good at mixing up colours to match.

• Like 1

More decals added. As I mentioned earlier, the decal that goes by the refueling pipe did not fit. So it is definitely paint in that area. More decals to add tonight, I am going to cut out the Star and Bar from the other option to lace under the wing as I am not going to fit the outer pylons and the kit only offers two halves of that decal to fit around them.

resized_e3e9b9f9-c869-46e1-b745-0587029e

resized_afea3071-e7a7-4c14-bab8-abbed5b8

resized_6188569c-eb5c-403d-ad0d-3a721830

• Like 6

• Jabba changed the title to TA-4J Skyhawk ******GONE!!!*********

Unfortunately this one is no more. After having another night of these decals, where again things either did not fit or the decal stuck to the backing paper like a limpet enough was enough. When I applied one of the "Navy" decals to the side of the fuselage the "Y" protruded way to far into the red portion on the fuselage and my patience (which is at best as a French waiter said is wafer thin) went. The length that of this protrusion was much to long to even shorten the "Y" as it was about 3-4 mm longer than it should have been. The "Y" should not have got close to the red portion. So the model was flung to the floor through frustration at a great rate of knots followed by a swift stomp of the right foot so it cannot even be retrieved. This is the first time that I have lost a model in this way in about 10 years, but these decals just got to me in the end. I wish all that are still partaking in this GB the best of luck with their builds.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 6

Oh No!

I am really sorry to hear that your Skyhawk is no more, and completely irretrievable by the sounds of it too. I do know how much "fun" Hasegawa decals can be even when the kit is new rather than one that has been in a stash for a while.

I hope that this doesn't have an effect on your excellent modelling.

Thanks for having taken part in the GB and for all your effort to try and get the decals to fit.

I can testify here that indeed the patience of the Parisian waiters is clearly akin to the frenzied rage that can seize an English bulldog deprived of its daily outing for two years. Having said that, it should be noted that most of them are either cursed writers or unemployed actors.
The few real waiters are of a rare and remarkable professionalism and will, for example, generously let you sip your coffee for 2 minutes and 39 seconds before showing understandable signs of annoyance.

Anyway, I'm absolutely sorry for the sad fate of your TA-4 and hope it didn't damage the wall you threw it against.

Hope your next buid will be easier

Fabrice

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Oh No!

I am really sorry to hear that your Skyhawk is no more, and completely irretrievable by the sounds of it too.

Thank you all for your kind words. For those of you with a weakened disposition look away now.

As you say Craig it is completely irretrievable as the biggest lumps are below. I do have some projects on the go at the moment and in fact I am actually enjoying building a target namely a Tamiya Abrams. I will also have to find something easy and simple from the stash before the next GB comes around.

resized_fe22bc0e-133e-4d1a-a35c-7db9f2a8

resized_ab778b26-5b4b-43e5-969a-3a87eda2

• Sad 1