1/72 F-14A Tomcat VF-111

Hello all.

Another one completed this weekend, the Hobbyboss 1/72 F-14A Tomcat.

A pretty straightforward build OOB. It may be a little oversimplified in places compared to say Hasegawa or GWH but simple suits me fine as it means i can crack on with the next model! 😁

Painted with Xtracrylix and then W&N Galleria Matt varnish to finish.

Had a disaster at the final hurdle with the canopy as it cracked right down the centre while trying to clean some paint off, so i replaced it with a Pavla vacform one (i hate cutting vac canopies and can never seem to cut it correctly.....its either too much or not enough) Because this canopy is designed for the Hasegawa kit it then didn't fit if closed up so i had to leave open. It's not quite correct as the rear coaming that it fixed to the inside of the canopy was already fixed down in place and wouldn't budge loose.

The cockpit of the HB kit is really very simple so i had to add some tape belts and ejection handles to make it look a little less sparse, plus a little bonus helmet (actually a decapitated Matchbox Hunter pilot! 😁😁)

Anyway thanks for looking, comments as always much appreciated.

Cheers!

IMG_20210410_180307

IMG_20210410_180112

IMG_20210410_180147

IMG_20210410_180339

IMG_20210410_180038

IMG_20210410_180232

IMG_20210410_180416

Edited by binbrook87
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Very nice build and yeah simple works for me too especially if it means a nicely finished model like you have here. You have to love a fully loaded Tomcat especially finished in the Sundowners scheme  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, F-32 said:

Looks like a good kit, shape looks right to my eye

Thanks. Yes it's a pretty good kit, i don't think it's classed as one of their 'easy assembly' range but pretty straightforward to build, and the 4 decal options supplied are superb, worth half the value of the kit on its own.

You've done a mighty fine job of that, for sure.

I tend to agree that simpler kits can be a treat, as they don't tend to bog you down as much in details.

Anyway, this looks as good to me as any Hasegawa or GWH build I've seen (and, in saying that, I have a Hasegawa F-14 in my stash).

:clap2::clap2:

• Thanks 1