My first tank (Dragon 6301), a question about build order

Bleek

Hello everyone,

I probably picked the worst kit for a beginner, but I couldn't resist all the details.

I just started the Panzer IV and I'm working my way through the suspension.

Question, should I follow the instructions to the letter? The reason I ask is that - to me - it seems like I should build the suspension to the lower hull. Which isn't what the instructions are saying. Otherwise, I have to build them in free air which is proving... a problem. 😅

If it were me, I'd add the suspension units to the hull, but leave off the wheels.  That way you'll be able to paint and weather them all in one without the wheels getting in the way.  The same with the final drive covers, track tensioners - everything that doesn't go round and round, really.

Instructions are often a bit peculiar when it comes to build order, and Dragon's have an added layer of inaccuracy that drives some people dotty.  The way I always approach them is to poke through in advance to spot sections that really do have to be built in the specified order, or something won't fit, and then treat the rest as identifying the parts (with luck) so that I can create my own sub-assemblies.  Following the way the real thing was constructed is often a help too, at least with armour.