Dido class light cruiser.

Faraway

I've found these photos.

He is in the group shot, which would appear to be HMS Hermione and family tradition has it, that only his sister Mo could find him.

NEATE, ARTHUR JOHN (18), Telegraphist (no. D/JX 163670), HMS Hermione, Royal Navy, †16/06/1942, Son of Mr. and Mrs. W. J. Neate, of Wraxall, Bristol.

p?i=6ee5fa8de6c81879f39efb00c358dc2d

p?i=9a9db2123f8e937b12a7b38787d87f57

p?i=7fa3e962e47f4bbbd84d79786e4a4982

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, GrantGoodale said:

Interesting that he has the ship name on his cap tally in 1941 but does not in 1940.

I’m wondering, if the dates are wrong. HMS Ganges, on his cap in the photo captioned 1941, is actually a training shore base. But in the photo captioned 1940 he has no ship on his cap, but has a telegraphers arm badge, so to me in the 1940 photo he has passed out from training as a telegrapher, but has yet to be assigned a ship, hence the blank cap ribbon. So, whoever captioned the photos got them the wrong way round. Unfortunately, there is no one alive to ask. Do you understand what I’m trying to explain ?

And as I see the photos, he looks a bit more ‘mature’ as he leans out of the railway carriage. Also, his uniform is a different colour (?) in this photo, we need someone who knows about uniform changes, from trainee to able seaman.

Jon

• Like 1

The Ganges photo has a sort of 'Passing Out' (more a posed ceremonial/official/finished the course) vibe to me.

I'm wondering if the ship's name on the cap was discontinued during the war as a security measure?

Tom

4 minutes ago, Modelholic said:

The Ganges photo has a sort of 'Passing Out' (more a posed ceremonial/official/finished the course) vibe to me.

I'm wondering if the ship's name on the cap was discontinued during the war as a security measure?

Tom

For ships at sea, it definitely was. They simply read "HMS" during wartime.

33 minutes ago, Modelholic said:

It does have that ‘feel‘

Jon

30 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

For ships at sea, it definitely was. They simply read "HMS" during wartime.

So possibly, no ship name or HMS if he was yet to be assigned to a ship ?

Jon