Softening old Milliput

John B (Sc)

Hello.

I have a couple of old batches of Milliput, the components of which have gone quite hard.  With much working they do soften slightly.  I am reluctant to simply throw them away.

Does anyone know of a suitable chemical to help soften them further, whether beforehand or when mixing together?  I am tempted to try some easily available options like enamel thinners, turpentine, cellulose thinners, iso-propyl alcohol or acetone.   I suspect the latter two will  be rather too drastic! 

I do know that water is useful when trying to smooth and blend newly mixed Milliput into position; I don't think it acts as a thinner for it though ! 

John B

40 minutes ago, John B (Sc) said:

I have a couple of old batches of Milliput, the components of which have gone quite hard.  With much working they do soften slightly.  I am reluctant to simply throw them away.

it's the grey part that forms a hard outer crust,   try 10 seconds in the microwave,  I did this to some I  used to fill a window sill.   Warning, it can be pretty hot when you do this and start trying to mix.  For anything you want a fine fisnih on, you  might want to cut the outer crust off, as that does not mix in so well.

Thanks Troy, nheather, I will try that. I will cut away the crust too, Tory.

Mike - true, but I am getting a tad fed up of doing that & it ain't cheap. I only use it rarely.

lasermonkey - tried that before, did nowt. add an item

Cheers,

John B

Edited by John B (Sc)
add an item

15 minutes ago, John B (Sc) said:

Mike - true, but I am getting a tad fed up of doing that & it ain't cheap. I only use it rarely.

Has it gone up a lot lately? :hmmm: The last box I got was about £4.25.  Just found one for £3 delivered on Amazon here.  That help? ;)

Thanks Mike, yes that is helpful.

Ok, not really that expensive when considered compared to some of the other things we use, but hey, I am a Scot fae Aberdeen and we have a reputation to uphold...

(And it's the P&P charges often made for delivery up here which really rankle ! )

John B

Edited by John B (Sc)
  • Haha 1