Luminous paint on typhoon?

DocJonno

Decal sheets with these type lights have been made for USAF/USN/USMC have been published. I have a set for F-15, F-16, F-18, etc. I think that I got mine from the IPMS/USA some years ago. They were/are available to modelers in general. I don't know if they are still available. Mine were in 1/72nd scale but other scales were made. @Dana Bell, @72modeler, and others may know better than I. HTH

Joe

6 hours ago, JPuente54 said:

They were/are available to modelers in general. I don't know if they are still available. Mine were in 1/72nd scale but other scales were made.

Yep, I think it's the same IPMS Special sheet that was produced by Monogram Pro Modeler, sheet 88100800-200, for F-4, F-14, F-15, and F-18. Wish I had picked up a couple, as very few kit decal sheets that came with the 'tape lights' got the color right.

Mike

@JPuente54

Detail in Scale also did tape light decals, the sheet was 72-0372. I have two of them. Neither the Pro-Modeler or Detail in Scale tape light decals will help DocJonno, as the US tape lights were yellow or had a slight greenish tint, and the ones on the Typhoon were green. I would think, for an aircraft at rest, a green that was a close match to the ones in the photo he posted would work, as the lights only had that luminescent appearance when lit.

Edited by 72modeler
added text
  • Like 1

If memory serves, these formation lights glow only when there's current passing through them - in other words, when the aircraft has its engines running and all its formation and navigation lights on.  With power off they're a dull yellow, sort of primrose.  So if you wanted them to glow, you might also need to make sure all your other lights were too.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, IME "slime lights" don't actually show in daylight even with navigation and ACB on. (based on being a willing recipient of flypasts at 250 feet over terrain where they were (honest guv' 😉 )).