Tamiya 1/72 F4D-1 Skyray

Need something to mess around with whilst waiting for a GB to start, pulled this classic off the shelf. 

20210410_132618

Not sure what to add. It's Tamiya so that should cover the moulding questions. 

20210410_132727

Two grey and one clear sprue is all there is. 

20210410_132649

However got this somewhere, a really old Microscale decal sheet (for the Airfix kit...). Still looks good. Not sure which version I want, VF-74 with the red rudder bar or VF-213 with the Blue & White checkered tail. Will see what strikes me when I get to decals. 

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, reini said:

Great kit :) Just finished mine. Have fun! 

My second one. Hoping the Microscale engine inlet warning decals aren't made of rubber like the Tamiya ones 🤣

Edited by Evil_Toast_RSA
Spellingz

1 hour ago, Evil_Toast_RSA said:

My second one. Hoping the Microscale engine inlet warning decals aren't made of rubber like the Tamiya ones 🤣

Oh yeah, those were crappy and the size was off too. Needed lot of correction with paint. 

• Like 1

Cockpit painted (XF-85 for tub, VMA 71.055 RLM 66 for seat), drybrushed and glossed. Going to try Tamiyas Light Grey Panel Wash on blqck/dark cockpits. Youtube seems to show good results. Here's hoping. And I need a camera to take better pics...

20210411_154654

• Like 1

Cockpit done. Need to put some PE belts on seat but for all intents, done. The light grey wash seems to work. Weight added to prevent a droopy Batwing....

20210413_133705

Gear bays done, ready to be closed up. 

20210413_133722

• Like 1

Check out the book - TOP GUN: An American Story by Pedersen.    Great book, and he talks about loitering off the California coast in his "FORD" in a gathering spot where Navy and USAF pilots could "Mix It Up" without the Brass Hats finding out.....The author LOVED the Skyray!

• Like 2

Where I am right now. 

I did have a senior moment assembling the fuselage halves unfortunately by not aligning them 100%. So a bit of work was/is needed around the intakes and leading edges to remove the step. But mostly assembled and primed with Mr Surfacer 1500 White to look for more defects I need to sort out. This is taking a back seat, starting a Canberra PR.9 tomorrow and really looking forward to building it. So updates to here will probably be a bit sporadic. 

20210416_201613

• Like 1