1:48 Tamiya Beaufighter MkVIF "Slippery Ship II"

Hi All,

My latest completion is Tamiya's lovely Beaufighter. I've completed it as V8447 "Slippery Ship II" of 89 Sqn RAF, based in Bu Amud, Egypt in 1943. This aircraft was flown by Doug Oxby and Mervyn Shiphard, who was an Australian. Theirs is an interesting story - see below:

http://aircrewremembered.com/oxby-douglas.html?__cf_chl_jschl_tk__=cda5297b5ab3af7af0d69308a3c67c97bebfb20f-1611987096-0-ARvEz6Md5xLIxPz6u1uJ2_4R8x98Gg5YeVwOipdIgK025YlUZYNOZQe2oAfGbMlB6CdyasaNK71HO9Ci98F1HRgmrdqq9ZJ8HIZ3wnT6ea6emOzN_ekFRagONuo8c7wwTw3kRWmEhyiKo_Fcwir01CDEZnGFhK24JmjCnRLCXpm5HXlWDL9Y0cSl1vTLza5sONCyA5gAu5fkgsUnJUchRT1WJvkRiFWbuMUATbHPY74BIgM_WxqrcFSC9m7fY_eLSSU0Fw-8avP_7qBuhj26ypZfudqT7SFRzR7fr8h7JkOWjodWfuKyA8ihrM3-5jI2YO-FTc-e40nY3zOowIfloiNWQYLEAq0JGX2vDdkSpC36xDEpGWK7i2THq2OxrDWLDyCffQzVOmndt3zuRCoJ3tw

Here's a photo of Oxby and Shiphard in front of "Slippery Ship II":

doug-oxby-with-mervyn-shipard-w800.jpg

Here's a couple more images of the men in front of 'Slippery Ship II", very kindly supplied by @AndyL:

Lwic49x.jpg

One taken with Nevil Reeves

T2umCfQ.jpg

And finally another Beau from 89 Sqn with Reeves at the controls:

8K77uT8.jpg

The build was mostly OOB, with the exception of a set of Montex masks for the insignia. Here's the WIP if anyone is interested:

I made a few minor alterations to the kit, including:

- Filling of the forward set of machine gun ejector ports under the wings

- Removal of the incorrect raised panels on the upper wings

- Moving the elevator balance actuators to the undersurfaces of the tail

- Added a set of resin exhausts

- Rivetted the whole airframe

I had intended to complete this in the desert scheme of Mid-Stone and Dark Earth over Night. However @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies threw a curved ball just before I started painting, suggesting that the scheme might actually have been Dark Slate Grey and Extra Dark Sea Grey over Night. This very quickly became an irresistible draw, and in the end I completed the build in this scheme. Anyway, on with the pictures!

20210410-125959.jpg

20210410-130011.jpg

20210410-130023.jpg

20210410-130032.jpg

20210410-130049.jpg

20210410-130104.jpg

20210410-130124.jpg

20210410_130142.jpg

20210410_130201.jpg

20210410_130224.jpg

Finally, I couldn't resist a couple of shots with another of Bristol's finest:

20210410_130426.jpg

20210410_130430.jpg

I've really enjoyed this build and think that this alternative to the desert scheme makes a common subject a little more interesting. Thanks to all who have supported the build along the way, and thanks for looking!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 38
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, fubar57 said:

I really like that scheme

Cheers Fubar - it is a little different!

3 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

The Beaufighter is a cracking looking,  brutish machine and looks fantastic in this scheme. You have done a cracking job on this Roger and has been a joy to follow,  glad you stuck with it fella.

Chris 

Thanks for the kind words mate - it's just nice to get one over the line!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gazza l said:

Very nice Beau. Weathered to perfection.

gazza l

Thanks Gazza - much appreciated!

31 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Lovely work, Dunny, and yes I agree the desert scheme makes it all the more interesting.

20 minutes ago, BerndM said:

Not only one but two fine looking Bristol twins.👍

Thanks for the kind words - much appreciated!

• Like 1

Nice work on the Beaufighter. Both camouflage schemes are interesting. I can see TSS top over Malta, though in Egypt dark earth and mid-stone seem more appropriate, yet it's a night fighter so who knows?

Cheers,

Wlad

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Dunny said:

Here's a couple more images of the meAnd finally another Beau from 89 Sqn with Reeves at the controls:

8K77uT8.jpg

I don't think I've seen a Beau with spinners, it looks rather cool!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wlad said:

Nice work on the Beaufighter. Both camouflage schemes are interesting. I can see TSS top over Malta, though in Egypt dark earth and mid-stone seem more appropriate, yet it's a night fighter so who knows?

Cheers,

Wlad

3 hours ago, RMCS said:

Awsome 

9 hours ago, Jeff G said:

As always, a work of art. A pleasure to view, Roger!

Thanks for the kind words - much appreciated!

Looks brilliant Roger,... as does the Blenheim...... two of Bristol`s finest and you`ve done an excellent job on both,..... I do like that scheme on the Beau too,

Cheers

Tony  

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Gary Brantley said:

Very nice for sure!   A beautiful Beau!  :clap2:

Thanks Gary - much appreciated

3 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Looks brilliant Roger,... as does the Blenheim...... two of Bristol`s finest and you`ve done an excellent job on both,..... I do like that scheme on the Beau too,

Cheers

Tony  

Thanks Tony - I think between 'Slippery Ship II' and your lovely 'Hun Hunter' we've covered the tribute to Messrs Oxby & Shiphard,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Thanks Gary - much appreciated

Thanks Tony - I think between 'Slippery Ship II' and your lovely 'Hun Hunter' we've covered the tribute to Messrs Oxby & Shiphard,

Cheers,

Roger

I broke `Hun Hunter' up yesterday,.... all that are left are its engines, tail and undercarriage in the spares box! It was beyond saving,..... at least I still have photos!

Cheers

Tony

EDIT,..... I tell a lie,.... I saved the nose too!

DSCF0415.jpg

Edited by tonyot
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, tonyot said:

I broke `Hun Hunter' up yesterday,.... all that are left are its engines, tail and undercarriage in the spares box! It was beyond saving,..... at least I still have photos!

Cheers

Tony

Tony,

Oh no - that's a crying shame! But being a glass half full kind of guy this is an ideal opportunity to redo her in TSS over Night 😉

Cheers,

Roger

• Haha 1

Just now, Dunny said:

Tony,

Oh no - that's a crying shame! But being a glass half full kind of guy this is an ideal opportunity to redo her in TSS over Night 😉

Cheers,

Roger

LOL.... I was thinking the same,..... in case you didn`t see it above,..... I did save the nose too!

DSCF0415.jpg

• Haha 1