Fieseler FI.156 Storch 1/72 Academy

fmichelsen

I am going to build this kit OOB, maybe with some small details scratchbuilded. It does actually look pretty good, and the very few panellines are recessed. The plane will be build as the one from the boxart, which flew in north africa in 1941. I guess I'll be building the kubelwagen from the kit as well, but there will not be a diorama for the two of them. My biggest worries right now is the camouflage pattern, lots and lots of small stribes, my airbrush skills will be put to the test there I guess🤔. Anyway, here are some photos of the box, and its content. I hope to get started on it during this weekend🤠

y4mykiaLMjSaxik55_xIKDMGg6JtZGQOWEJyX0sk

y4m6k1ReJz4Gn2eAuHhaH-EKAaDSKc3wiw3DlHkY

y4mpt-riPiMAaeVpTiPuSIHy2f1fNXdnYZyKRoeRy4mbie8tmv3GExhEvg5dXjZ8wFXP-zFXTlWmJEgl

• Like 5

I've been off to a flying start. The cockpit has been glued together and painted. But it has to be the must simple cockpit I have build yet. It consisted of 4 part (Floor, Joystick, seat, stool, instrumentpanel and the two body parts). So maybe this will be a very fast build :) To live it up a bit, I tried to make some seatbelts of tape. Better than nothing I guess :P For paint I used AK real colours RLM 02 for most of the cockpit, then detailed out things with a variety of brush paints. All was then given a wash, and highligted at little again afterwards. 
 y4mIyoJkrMvT-U_Tk_UvQprtxzTSIEVZj4Wie4mQy4mdyRtt8qegfepMtGesWizsN9gsdUBW2veRdJUG

• Like 4

On 4/10/2021 at 10:32 AM, Col. said:

Nice start. The cockpit may be a simple affair but your work has certainly brought it to life.

Thank you. I was thinking of making the inner cage of streched sprue, but I gave up on it, I was to big a challenge. Think It turned out alright :)

I have assembled the fuselage and masked the canopy. If I ever build a Storch in 1/72 scale again, I'll for sure see if I can buy some precut masks 🙃  When I glued on the engine, there was a gap between the fuselage and engine. I filled it with Mr. Surfacer 500. Here are some pictures of the process so far:
y4miqBpWq-g-iCIs71EKMwHsl8u-SLGFsrmNreGUy4mWuDBHGFAd13Ybh6uaA4ZaT-bzzFRqbwNjtzjiy4mUlT-TZnzGlX2rOPeU0fYTV_DBH-hLe5A8mW3C

• Like 4

I managed to make some proces the last couple of days. I got the plane primed, and the I painted the most of the plane in AK real colour rlm 79 (1941). But this colour looked way to yellow to me, anybody tried this paint, and have the same experience. I think it was pretty close to look like RLM04. Anyways, I had AK's rlm 79 (1942), which I think look very good.
I then tried to do the camouflage pattern on top of wings and fuselage. I couldn't get it as fine as I hoped, guess my airbrush have to big needle and nozzle, and my skills lacked ;) I do think it turned out allright. 
y4metZqVhmlhU4eGb8Uc0N6FlE7ITY7uQQX7GUTYy4m1F8LIxDiY3YnS4wKM3jfEja0jX1OUSZcB7c0m

As you can see, I have assembled the entire landing gear. This turned out to be a bit troublesome when I had to mask of for the underside color. But after A-LOT of tamiya tape, and some cursing, it was ready for RLM 78. It looks allright, and I've just coated it with clear gloss, and when it's dried, I'll apply decals.
y4mInTtHuTFIY3La4zn7K6ENnAFzGXJAuJ4GH6eRy4metZqVhmlhU4eGb8Uc0N6FlE7ITY7uQQX7GUTY

• Like 7

Argh, rookie mistake from. I was sure I had some spare swastikas in 1/72nd scale in my stash. I was clearly for 1/48th scale. Damn... Well the decals are now in places, but it did go on without a fight. I tried all my decal softeners, but its not perfect. Maybe it has something to do with them being old decals, I don't normally have so much trouble with decals, but my last two kits (the other was a 33 year old Italeri skyhawk), have really turned my hair grey🙃 Pictures to follow when I get hold of the missing decals 😅

• fmichelsen changed the title to Fieseler FI.156 Storch 1/72 Academy
On 4/20/2021 at 9:22 AM, John_W said:

Very nice. Didn't know Academy did a Storch. Is it their own plastic or a rebox? ( I notice  it has parts for a criquet as well in the box)

Thank you. I must confess I dont know if it is a rebox. But yes, I is a strange box I think, I have nearly completed the build of the Kubelwagon, but I'll not post it here, I'm spending my time on some other models :)