Italeri 1/24th Dump Truck

One I have wanted for a while

spacer.png

Don’t care for the rear of tipper.so hoping to modify it. A start was made & I have completed the engine.Added wiring & other plumbing.

Progressing to chassis construction Which seems pretty normal for Italeri trucksspacer.png

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Old John said:

Why does this happen?, In preview had 2 engine photo's & text above each one Now after submitting I get this 

I usually find the best way is to hit enter twice between text and photos (i.e. leave a space between paragraphs). That makes sure that the forum software won't try to run the photo and text into the same sentance.

• Like 1

Hi Spiny Thank you for info. I did get it all fine in preview but on pressing post it all went  wrong.I will keep trying A little more progress on the truck

spacer.png

• Like 3

A little progress on the chassis

spacer.pngspacer.pngThe white bed additions are decorated with a bolt & rivet set I got from Meng Models. These work well  i think.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Hope to get the rest of chassis completed in the next couple of days

• Like 7

spacer.pngMore work on chassis

The tread boards on tank & step had fine mesh added,partly spacer.pngspacer.pngto save having to drill out all the holes

I visualize this as a working truck that makes regular visits to a quarry & so is quite dirty. After primer & dark chassis colour ,I applied a lighter dirt coat sprayed at a longer distance so the paint was semi dry when it hit model,giving the rough finish I was after. spacer.png

spacer.png

I will now move on & see what I can do about the rear of truck bed which I want to alter.Don't care for it & have been unable to find any photo's of truck with this shape

spacer.png

• Like 8

On 15/04/2021 at 18:34, Old John said:

I will now move on & see what I can do about the rear of truck bed which I want to alter.Don't care for it & have been unable to find any photo's of truck with this shape

spacer.png

It's more of an off road quarry/mining dump body... seems a bit at odds with a Freightliner chassis on air bags. Here are a couple of similar ones.

c8c44107196cc7c6c07f5ee6d3fce495.jpg

624005.jpg

• Like 3

Thank you for the info/photo's I had not seen those ones.My thoughts are still on a road truck that visits a quarry for materials. Still good to know they do exist in the box art form.

• Haha 1

spacer.pngProgress on the truck body The 1st step to check base to see if my idea  will still be able to tip

This seems to be Ok so will start to cut up side bars

spacer.png

Now I came to the interesting bit,the construction of a box for the body.My trusty mini table saw a boon again ( I can't cut a slice of bred straight freehand) I also decided to add 2 round strip rods  on side as I quite like the look.spacer.pngspacer.png

A little denting To represent damage & I think it is ready for a primer coatspacer.png

• Like 7

@Old John, this is looking great! nice work on the bed.  Funny enough, I thought about this build the other day, while reading a news article about the coal industry that featured a photo of truck very similar to the box art of your kit (though looked like an Autocar or Western Star) - but more importantly, with the same bed.  The text noted the truck was hauling ash out of the plant.  I can only speculate about why the bed would require those big ribs when hauling ash?? - who knows - yours is looking good -

Cheers

Nick 

Thank you Nick. I just did not care too much for rear of bed, Think it looks Ok the way I have done it, more like a road truck in my opinion

• Like 1

Thank you Jeroen. I get on with them pretty quick,being on my own now, & in the covid situation I can spend as much time as I wish modelling.Got to admit I have not got the  patience to wait weeks for paint to dry, or other time intensive procedures I like to move them along. I also only do one model at a time.I have tried two before but it just does not work for me.   

• Like 1