Prince Philip has died.

bentwaters81tfw

My Condolences to The Royal Family and my U.K. Friends here on BM and elsewhere. Prince Phillip did his Duty to his Queen, His family and his Nation to the very end. Rest In Peace.

• Like 4

One member has been banned for highly inappropriate comments on this thread.

We will not see anymore.

Prince Phillip served this country in peace and war most of his life. I for one thank him for the Duke of Edinburgh's Award scheme which I took part in.

• Like 11

19 minutes ago, Julien said:

Prince Phillip served this country in peace and war most of his life. I for one thank him for the Duke of Edinburgh's Award scheme which I took part in.

I joined the DofE scheme shortly before my 15th birthday back in 1985, and it was one of the best things I did. It was a brilliant scheme for Teenagers and young people. I then joined the ATC, which made the expeditions a lot easier. If I remember correctly cost me all of £6.50 to join the scheme and this was for all three stages. I still have my record book somewhere

I was unable to complete my Gold DofE due to joining the RAF (but because I had started it, I could have continued and completed it whilst serving). I still regret to this day not having completed my Gold, but managed to achieve the Bronze and Silver awards.

RIP sir

:poppy: 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Julien said:

One member has been banned for highly inappropriate comments on this thread.

We will not see anymore.

I don't like to see permanent bans but, having seen the comments, in this case I hope it is one rather than just a suspension.

Martian 👽

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Another one of a great generation gone, it's sad but he had a really full life and contributed to the country and the wider world in no small measure.

Dennis

• Like 2

Great respect for the majority of the Royal's especially Prince Philip, sad loss to the country and another one of that wartime generation fading

away from us fast.

• Like 3

Very moving service, indeed. Including a little chuckle at the Land Rover. 

Followed it via YT channel of the Royal Family here. 

Perhaps a fitting addition: The 1995 interview he gave on his WW2 service.

Fair seas, sir. 

:poppy:

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

Just watched the service,what a lovely job and hearing the National Anthem sung by a choir with no music was fantastic...

Yes, I did too. Fair do's to Aunty Beeb. I think that on this occasion, they got it just about spot on. Nice to see Harry and Will walking and talking together after the service.

John.

• Like 3

A magnificent performance by our Armed Forces to honour The Prince.

(and yes, I did smile at the Guards trying to march in their tall boots)

The choir were superb, hard to believe it was only four people.

But wasn't it heart-breaking to see HMQ sitting alone in the church? 

Lot of Hayfever around yesterday.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

A magnificent performance by our Armed Forces to honour The Prince.

(and yes, I did smile at the Guards trying to march in their tall boots)

The choir were superb, hard to believe it was only four people.

But wasn't it heart-breaking to see HMQ sitting alone in the church? 

Lot of Hayfever around yesterday.

Wot 'e sed!

I agree completely with all Big Dave's comments.

The funeral demonstrated once again that No-one does Pomp and Circumstance better than us Brits, even sad pomp and circumstance.

I'm currently reading "Do You Still Throw Spears At Each Other?", which could be summed up as "Thw Wit and Wisdom of Prince Philip"

The book is a celebration of his political incorrectness, and lack of a filter! It has cheered me up no end in these strange times . . .

• Like 3

Excellent service yesterday and everyone participating did His Highness proud.

I liked the presence of his ponies and carriage. The box with sugar lumps for the ponies was a lovely touch.

Trevor

• Like 3

Watched it through. Found it quite moving and couldn't help feeling proud in the three services being there in all their glory.  Glorious blue skies too.  A fitting send off.

• Like 4

Probably just me being an oddball, but found it quite profound that as he was loaded onto the landrover as a ww2 veteran that a Lufthansa flight was audible overhead as it came in to land at Heathrow, a German plane coming in peace as he made his final journey. Overall found the whole service very moving and really send of such a Titan of a figure. 

• Like 2

I have to agree with all the post funeral comments - gentlemen - you have summed it very well - very moving & a credit to the country & commonwealth.

• Like 2