Prince Philip has died.

bentwaters81tfw

An extraordinary man who led an extraordinary life. An exceptional example of loyal duty and public service who embodied a generation that we will never see again. 

RIP  :poppy:

Edited by RichG
  • Like 13

A good innings as my dad says.  He had a nice life, and it's a shame he didn't reach the big 100.  RIP :poppy:

Hopefully, Her Maj will cope ok.

• Like 6

Husband. Father. Grandfather. Great Grandfather. War Hero. 

He was many things, but above all he was always the support for Her Majesty. 

I met him once, many years ago. I don't think it'll qualify me for an invite to the funeral though.

• Like 6

Prince Philip served in the Mediterranean and later in the Pacific on HMS Whelp as First Officer. My father-in-law also served on the Malta convoys and later, as a stoker, on the Whelp; this included being in Tokyo Bay at the signing of the surrender.

In 1992 HM The Queen and Prince Philip led the ceremony to inaugurate the Siege Bell at the entrance to Valetta Harbour; my parents-in-law also attended. About 6 months before I wrote to Buckingham Palace that they would be there and received a reply that they should make themselves known. At the parade as the Royal party walked by, Jack called out "Old shipmate Sir",
The AdC came over checked Jack's name and then brought the Prince over to shake hands. A special moment.

If you are interested in that part of the war look out for "The Forgotten British Pacific Fleet: A Stoker's Log" by Victoria Short, written from her grandfather's memoirs - he was also a stoker on the Whelp.

• Like 15

My heart goes out to Her Majesty. No matter what age, this is about the worst thing that can happen to anyone. Thank you Sir for all you have done for your country. :poppy:

Martian 👽

• Like 9

A life well lived, a duty well served and a person we shall never see the likes of again. 

Thank you for your loyal service to this country and to Her Majesty the Queen. 

My heart goes out to her. 

RIP Sir and God bless you. 

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, cngaero said:

A life well lived, a duty well served and a person we shall never see the likes of again. 

Thank you for your loyal service to this country and to Her Majesty the Queen. 

I could not have put that sentiment better.

Thank you Sir for your tireless work and duty to this country and the Queen, God rest your soul in peace and honour.  :poppy:

• Like 5