Special Hobby Sea Otter Mk.I

51161673929_a46bfef0f0_o.jpg

I glued on the struts for the floats. Basically one by one and dryfitted them as I went on. Plastic glue gave me some work-time. Was quite fiddly but I think they should be more or less straight now...

51161673869_da3cc22ca9_o.jpg

I just went on gluing the struts unprepared so I had to make something quickly :D Probably not so wise but I managed to get the engine struts glued on.

51161129698_c1fa484db4_o.jpg

After some primer to check the seams, there was still some minor imperfections around the clear parts so I filled them up with CA glue.

51160228932_81a4b31e63_o.jpg

And after sanding and cleaning.

There are lots of small parts here and there that need some attention but I've went bit all over this build, I would need to concentrate on one thing really and get it done, and then move onto the next one. Not to mention multiple builds at the moment that are fighting for my attention. I really should get the other struts down but they are bit scary - I will get onto it eventually :D 

• Like 5

• 8 months later...

y4me0AhfkUdKJEA3LcySrJPbv_9wJqsDdQWZN4Ts

Gluing down the wing struts. The upper wing is there to guide them into place.

y4mjNOSRwxISscoIlKRLVTIjWkfdvuNODHA-bSU7

Success. I think :P We will see once I try to glue the upper wing into place...

y4mVwKcnwKipSxoTeATSh2LvAQSQEwEEvfeK1Fu1

I still have this lot, amongst other things. It's strange how much energy and effort goes onto just thinking about gluing these things. I can glue a fuselage together in no time but smaller the detail, more time and thinking it takes.

y4meWrD7siS5kdTvXWYb2ZPDNSOv9YBU6gwVWmWc

I didn't like the photoetch handles so I made new ones out of brass rod.

y4maNO6kbUVqA9free03ZX4iloiQSuS_xPO2gwWF

Upper wing is done, I can move onto the lower wing and fuselage details.

• Like 7

Detailwork continues...

y4mcworUTTqinFih1jgQfLTQmAQjMH_XEsJrGknL

I added the rail connectors. They are not 100% evenly distributed but I'm just glad they are all there...  :D 

y4mkOKxoaCBhTNtxc7IoPWWe2lhOPKubDYic5oSe

Then the railing itself, I used 04mm lead wire. I drilled holes for it to connect securely to the fuselage.

y4mSvuQQTjV3IZ0WGYt1ACcrdqkQvTE6BC3k1HUR

Lead wire is really soft so it still looks quite out of shape.

y4mEW3Fu5QnVNOmOFSmG0eln4glvNuTZQhwdwGkv

After some fiddling it's better -  but not great. Lets just say that it's had few rough encounters with boats and docks :P The railings are not present on all Sea Otters but I wanted to add them anyways, I thought they were a cool detail. There should be ones on the back too but I left them out, mainly because my nerves couldn't handle more railings but also because I've lost too many rail connectors to the carpet monster :D

y4mug38vVqNWvRQtiS-YiUJVFOv3pq0HMGCoXLvR

Tail wheel done.

y4mQIII18ySZ1HWnIprU5KiGReO2J9-jincWeC1F

I also added the bomb racks - such a cool and nice detail that I couldn't resist.

y4m4W9OGk2safPOnEWGT9QTmsgTsqDoKsKjN3jAi

Landing gears.

y4mrRy01DzNJ1URzQW8U8S1-SNzvYPGF7zSm4ASb

This is starting to be such a cumbersome model to handle that I needed to make somekind of rig for it. Not pretty, not even that good, but maybe it will help me a bit to keep the model safe....

Next? Painting!

• Like 11

Thanks @Hook & @bigbadbadge Thanks! :) This has been quite intensive build but I'm happy to continue on it. The double wing might still get me - we will see. Oh, and the rigging 😐 But I'm trying to stay optimistic! :thumbsup:

y4mrS37JGGziAXl0ZLl2twTEmjoc8CiAiRZhuW2K

Painting has started. Sky for the undersides, looks bit greener on this photo than it actually is... I did some pre-shading.

y4mCbZdYxUg5ZfCH1JYFTIq_HuTY3JsIierDFJnU

y4mc_1jeKwBPJ2rNUhcekXwKFbDhLoh_7hQu6oHC

I did the four color uppersides in one go which was NOT a good idea. It was quite challenging and I had some paint problems in addition to that. Masking felt like too much work to get around all the struts and details so I did it all freehand. I did not get as nice edges for the camos as I have wanted so I should have probably bite the bullet and mask it anyway. I am planning to add some definition and weathering with oil paints though so we will see how it goes...

y4m0EluP4JV9Q36jvDivBtxAUbwKqRo4D1YGNlCw

I did a magic trick to myself. Twice! 🧙‍♂️These used to have red line decals on them but as I started to lay them down the decal just vanished in front of my eyes!  I tried to look everywhere, on my clothes, on the tweezers, on my hands - everywhere. And what's funny about it is that I did that twice - and on the second time I tried to be extra vigilant so it wouldn't happen again - but it did! :o So I looked all the places again and I had to give up, nowhere to be seen. Until...

y4mMCqip0V2a8crZQt3SjEZ827fxpm2AJb0_E6AO

They were both on my thumb, upside down so they were nice pinkish colour instead of bright red and didn't really stood out too much. Boy I felt stupid! :D But good trick! Fooled myself - twice.

y4mTXNKpEFR7QT8NBvUDf4MCDuPb6qN7A3a0TIYP

Despite my magical trickery I managed to put all the decals down. Maybe tomorrow I can start the weathering process :)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

y4m3e2M-phczomYmVjgblLK-pKsVpj1BL4mtg-5d

Weathering has started, I laid down Flory Models Grime wash, I usually go with Dark Dirt but I went with little more subtle colour this time. I think I will continue with some oilpaints once I got the main assembly done.

y4m8SoARPOx0DFQ5qj61nke1_S3qBJ6gdUPGsWsk

I started rigging but my plan to use lead wire didn't really work. Despite being 0.2mm thick as the instruction manual suggested, it still seems bit thick. And also even if I put it down tight, it will bend out of shape instantly even with the slightest force. So it will look all wonky in the end. I have another plan...

• Like 5

Okay, I had to look around the house to get suitable rigging material.

Then I came  across this,,,

y4mWhZ6qExJHHOHQw0BrL1r6tp7hBkM2xn8R951I

It had lots of loose elastic fibers sticking about that I salvaged for rigging!

Any guesses what's my source of material? :D

y4mm-7n07i7jNi37r_JK24E3WoGHesF36psbL6Z6

Anyway, then I did this.

y4mLHl0dPoSsfOTSApRyftiuKhWU90mK96izJ0sa

And then this! Yes, the upper wing is glued :) I think I'm winning this build - only total fumble, like dropping this thing off the table, can slow me down now *knocks on wood*

• Like 10

On 25/01/2022 at 15:08, reini said:

Any guesses what's my source of material? :D

Aw shame, I thought you looked rather good in that dress, and now it's on your aircraft!

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Aw shame, I thought you looked rather good in that dress, and now it's on your aircraft!

Hah :D Pretty close, lets just say that I'm not held responsible if you're caught sneaking in your wife's lingerie drawer looking for rubber wire...

-----------------------------------------

It is done!

y4mV23Ugjqt3TO0OQ3UHsEs5nGCzM_lrlaVMN8PI

Phew! It was quite a project - I'm extremely happy it's done :) Honestly, the only really tough part was the wing attachment - but other than that the model is quite filled with quite a lot of all kinds of small and fiddly bits, which takes a lot of time. I might build something fast and easy after this....:D

More photos here:

Thanks all for checking out and supporting this build, it took bit longer than I expected :) And even if not officially part of the ongoing KUTA, it is definitely in there with the spirit of things, my third unfinished kit that I've managed to push over the finish line in a short period of time.

You can check out my KUTA builds here:

• Like 4