Mosquito PR.XVI as MM312 of No.140 Squadron on 7th June, 1944

Hello all;

Here's my recently finished Mossie.  The WIP explains a few of the decision points such as how I painted the D-Day stripes around the S/N, and the weathering choices I made along the way;

I'm not going to claim this is my best work, it isn't.  The pics aren't my best either - I just could not get the White Balance just right.  But nonetheless here's the finished article.  I built the kit more or less straight out of the box, the only real exception being the addition of seatbelts made from Tamiya Tape and foil. The paints I used were Tamiya for the D-Day stripes and Hataka (Red Line) for the PRU Blue; the decals were from the kit.  I found this an interesting kit as it was a mix of old and new tooled parts, while t's not nearly up to modern standards it builds up into a reasonably nice finished piece.  It definitely looks like a Mosquito to me.

My subject aircraft, MM312 was only a month or so old at the moment I've modelled it, which was early hours of the morning of 7th June, 1944.  It had just completed back to back sorties over France, the second of which was a night-time sortie.  The composite pic below includes one of the actual photos (which I found on the UK's National Collection of Aerial Photography site) taken on that sortie by MM312 over Lisieux, in Lower Normandy.  MM312 went on to have a very busy time though June to August but was lost in September, 1944 when one of its Flashbombs exploded prematurely; its pilot that night, F/O H. Flight demonstrated excellent airmanship in being able to bring it back to base.  There's more details in the piece on my site.

Anyway, without further waffle, here's the pics...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers;

Mark.

• Like 52
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kapam said:

An excellent Mozzie!  You've done an awesome job!

Moreover, your love for the subject (and its history) really shines through.

Thanks mate, the history is the driver for me to the point where I find it hard to get into a project without a backstory.

Hi Mark,

I think you have produced an excellent Mosquito from the Airfix kit. I built this one sometime ago and was disappointed with the end result. The "new" tool parts were somewhat iffy in detail and fit. Not that you would know that from your model. 

well done 👍

• Thanks 1

Wow! Lovely job of one of my favourite WW2 aircraft. I had this kit but moved it on when I decided to stick to 1/72nd scale, the 1/72 one still builds into a nice model and so, it seems, does it's bigger brother.  Great paint and weathering.

:goodjob:

Davey.

• Thanks 1

Super job Mark - really does look the part and love the history side of it too. I'm the same - I get hung up on finding out about the subject - buy books and hunt for hours for information and eventually - build fewer models!

Cheers

Malcolm

• Thanks 1

Mark that Mossie looks flippin gorgeous fella.  The Airfix kit builds up very nicely and am very impressed with the cockpit details too. 

You have done a cracking job and created a wonderful model, the weathering looks fantastic and it's great to see you got some staining on the Tailplanes.

Excellent work 

Chris

• Thanks 1

It's really well done, the exhaust staining is spot on and really adds to the overall look. Like how you carried it on to the stabilisers as well, excellent attention to detail 👍

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Baldy said:

Super job Mark - really does look the part and love the history side of it too. I'm the same - I get hung up on finding out about the subject - buy books and hunt for hours for information and eventually - build fewer models

Got that tee-shirt.  Currently struggling with finding the necessary inspiration for the next project.  

15 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

I built this one sometime ago and was disappointed with the end result. The "new" tool parts were somewhat iffy in detail and fit. Not that you would know that from your model. 

Thank you Greg.  The kit was a bit of a disappointment and the resulting finished article a little compromised.  The fit was challenging in places and the overall result soft.  But the finished article still looks very much like a Mosquito and I’m happy it’s on the shelf now.

Thanks to everyone for the likes and comments, all much appreciated.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...