REVELL Germany to stop model production? [Unsubstantitated Rumour Warning]

spruecutter96

1 hour ago, Ed Russell said:

I wish I had a dollar for every unsubstantiated rumour I have heard in a model shop - I would be pretty rich!

The confines of a model shop are not the internet. Putting stuff out on the net is potentially far more damaging than "model shop" or "pub" talk.

People don't seem to understand this.

Edited by Eric Mc
  • Like 7

8 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Haven’t commented but the idea any sane businessman would take such a decision is beyond absurd, look at the revenue Revell generated from kits precovid and demand went up 90% so this years figure will dwarf it when released. 

Just to make sure I understand - covid gave 90% growth to the plastic models sales (2020 against 2019)?

1 hour ago, Eric Mc said:

model shop are not the internet. Putting stuff out on the net is potentially far more damaging than "model shop" or "pub" talk.

You think anyone here believes stuff on the internet? Surely we are too cynical for that?

I find it utterly amazing that about 50% of users believe all the tosh spouted on the internet

https://www.marketingcharts.com/industries/government-and-politics-76894

• Like 1

Revell GmbH - Sales development 2020

'According to its own figures, Revell GmbH was able to achieve an increase in total sales of 8 percent to 52.8 million euros in 2020, with the core business of model making including accessories (paints, glues, brushes, etc.) accounting for 63 percent. The main sales driver here was accessories.......

"One senses, as evidenced by the figures in this segment, that many people are taking up a new hobby or rediscovering an old one during the period of contact restrictions," Stefan Krings states. The accessories such as paints, brushes have also flowed into the target group of creative people and hobbyists, he says........

Remote-controlled models under the Revell Control brand accounted for 31 percent of sales and were another sales driver in 2020 with 8.5 percent........

In the export business, Revell was able to grow particularly in Great Britain, Spain, Italy and the USA. The establishment of the first joint sales offices, such as Carrera Revell UK Ltd. or the close cooperation of the sales teams in France, Italy or Spain have already had a positive effect on the business performance of the Carrera Revell Group.

Source:

Spielwarenmesse.de

Edited by Sanjuro
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Dennis_C said:

Just to make sure I understand - covid gave 90% growth to the plastic models sales (2020 against 2019)?

The 90% seems to be a short peak for March 2020 according to this article: https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/ct-coronavirus-illinois-plastic-model-kit-revell-20200504-dlehia2b5bfbnbfws4kszy5jvy-story.html

Still, this newer article mentions an increase of up to 50% in demand in some countries: https://www.topgear.com.ph/news/industry-news/scale-model-kits-covid-19-a962-20210208

Cheers

Markus

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

You think anyone here believes stuff on the internet? Surely we are too cynical for that?

I find it utterly amazing that about 50% of users believe all the tosh spouted on the internet

https://www.marketingcharts.com/industries/government-and-politics-76894

Whether you can or cannot believe such statistics is neither here nor there. Businesses are very sensitive to false news being spread about them - whether through the internet or any other outlet. Posting up stuff like this on a public forum is, to me, frankly not very clever.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Sanjuro said:

'According to its own figures, Revell GmbH was able to achieve an increase in total sales of 8 percent to 52.8 million euros in 2020, with the core business of model making including accessories (paints, glues, brushes, etc.) accounting for 63 percent. The main sales driver here was accessories.......

And there we have the answer - no business stops product development in a sector responsible for 63% of their turnover at a time when the business as a whole is growing at a rate of 8%.

• Like 1

Ref the Revell Classics I agree there were a lot of remaindered boxes floating about but perhaps that was due to some of the rather odd choices.. box scale Seamaster  for example..?

of the links above the interesting snippet I thought was that 70% of Revells sales were from bricks and mortar outlets..

TT

Well I was in Hobbycraft today (finally able to buy some paint!) and noticed that they have completely discontinued Airfix kits (btw any remainders are at clearance prices) and replaced them with a greatly increased range of Revell kits. Doesn't seem likely that such a big retailer would do this if Revell were planning to stop production.

Cheers

Colin

• Like 3

Revell did have a good laugh about it at first but were not realy amused as the impact on their reputation of a steady company could be disastrous. So be assured, Revell will continue in the modelkit business for the foreseeable future. Their planning for new kits run deep into 2024/25.  Indeed the old moulds were sold to Atlantis for several reasons. First of all they are old and not scale consistent.  Reissuing them could harm Revell's reputation of making modern kits, well fitting detailed kits with the unwary customers.

Besides, they would probably only appeal to a limited public and productionruns would not be very profitable.

Remember that many of these kits were produced in the 50's and 60's when the subjects were hot news but are now all but forgotten.  And those that are still 'in the picture' are mostly superseded by newer, more modern kits attracting the sales if one wants a certain subject..  Any takers for that 1/72 Albatross?....  

Furthermore the costs of having all those moulds transported to the production facilities many of which would never be used anymore was just too high. 

I had a talk with the Revell represesentative about this some time ago.  Hope that Atlantis can make it profitable for them though so please support them where you can and know that Revell will concentrate on more modern state of the art kits with the odd reissues of some older models (but not that old) in between for the coming years. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 4/11/2021 at 2:55 PM, The Tomohawk Kid said:

They are aimed at the likes of me.

However, Revell have not had a bespoke 'classic' range for some years now. When they were last around I was able to buy dealer packs of quite a few of them at knock down prices where kits were working out at a couple of quid each - I still must have at least 15 Rotodynes, with multiples of the B-47 Jupiter C,  the V2 and others from the range.

They are aimed at the likes of me, but its clear the market is limited or else the range would be still going strong.

Tommo.

Most of the real classic Revell/Monogram molds were sold to Atlantis Models 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hub Plott said:

Most of the real classic Revell/Monogram molds were sold to Atlantis Models 

Yes, I know, hence my comments up thread.

A company with much lower overheads and a better reach into the 'classic' kit market than Revell.

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
  • Like 1

On 4/13/2021 at 7:53 AM, ckw said:

and noticed that they have completely discontinued Airfix kits (btw any remainders are at clearance prices)

Someone will be along to tell you it is absolutely dangerous to put a post like this on an authoritative  source like Rumourmonger.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

If someone else mentioned this I apologize but Chicken Little said, "the sky is falling!"  In the next few years there will be a fundamental change in everything so follow Alfred E's philosophy - "What?  Me worry!"  Cheers!!!:surprised:

On 4/9/2021 at 5:19 PM, Eric Mc said:

I truly hate posts like this. They are just idle gossip and bring nothing of value to any discussion. 

If someone has definitive news and evidence to back it up, fair enough. But just throwing a dangerous rumour out into the void is downright irresponsible, in my opinion.

How is it dangerous? 

On 4/9/2021 at 8:22 PM, spruecutter96 said:

Looks like I might have stirred up a small hornet's nest, here....

Chris. 

It prompted discussion on a discussion board so I fail to see what the issue is Chris .

3 hours ago, Calum said:

How is it dangerous? 

It prompted discussion on a discussion board so I fail to see what the issue is Chris .

Because if spreading false rumours about a company has an effect on iits business (say reducing the value of its shares) then that business may take action against the source(s) of those rumours. And they won’t come after individual posters, they’ll come after the much more easily identified site owners. So ill informed speculation is dangerous for Mike and BM, not just for the speculators...

best,

M.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Calum said:

How is it dangerous? 

It's a good thing that model kits aren't like crypto-currencies.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

I heard a rumour that Revell and Airfix were going to insist on payment in bitcoin for all kits!

Undoubtedly called Kitcoin.

ba_dum_tss_pirates_band_of_misfits.gif

• Haha 7