1/48 F4U-7 Corsair -Hasegawa

On 6/10/2021 at 4:33 PM, 72modeler said:

My favorite postwar Corsair variant in my favorite markings! There used to be one of these in the same scheme that was very active on the airshow circuit back in the 70-80's, and I was able to get a lot of detail photos. Outstanding modeling, correct loadout, and you even displaced the servo tabs to match the elevator deflection- a little touch that is missed by many; I am impressed. Now you need an F4U-5NL to go with this one on your shelf! Wish we had a decent late Corsair in 1/72 scale, but happy for you 1/48 builders! I totally agree with the comments on your weathering and cockpit.

Mike

One can hope that somebody like ARMA or Clear Prop could give us a decent F4U-4, -5, AU-1 and -7 in 72nd scale. We sorely need them, and Hasegawa is asleep at the switch. However, you gotta produce whats gonna sell.

-d-

I really like how you modulated and weathered the Gloss Sea Blue paint scheme. Not everybody can pull this off realistically.

-d-

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Very nice build, I see you eliminated the nose plug seam, most builders of this kit don’t even bother. I’ve built a few and always eliminate the seam and replace the lost detail. Not simple but not impossible. I feel it is a must do as the seam looks horrible.

Beautiful build!

• Like 1

What a wonderful build of this Corsair.  The paint finish and weathering is just top notch.  You make it sound so easy to do, but it also means all of weathering done to reveal the silver finish was by one speck of paint removed at a time.  That must have taken a bit of patience to do.  But, your efforts resulted in just an exquisite finished model.  Thanks for sharing.

On 12/25/2023 at 11:14 PM, Scooby said:

Very nice build, I see you eliminated the nose plug seam, most builders of this kit don’t even bother. I’ve built a few and always eliminate the seam and replace the lost detail. Not simple but not impossible. I feel it is a must do as the seam looks horrible.

Beautiful build!

Thanks!

Yes that mold seam needs some work.

Sanding, puttying, sanding, scribing.🙂

14 hours ago, georgeusa said:

What a wonderful build of this Corsair.  The paint finish and weathering is just top notch.  You make it sound so easy to do, but it also means all of weathering done to reveal the silver finish was by one speck of paint removed at a time.  That must have taken a bit of patience to do.  But, your efforts resulted in just an exquisite finished model.  Thanks for sharing.

Thank you!

And yes, the chipping is done by scratching the blue paint with a blade or sharp toothpick. It gives the most realistic chip to my opinion.

On 12/27/2023 at 2:19 AM, rom1 said:

Thanks!

Yes that mold seam needs some work.

Sanding, puttying, sanding, scribing.🙂

I’m not sure if you are aware, Hasegawa Tri-Tool make an excellent punch that replaces the donuts on the mold seam. They released this tool soon after the Corsair was released, I always thought it was designed specifically to replace that lost detail on the Corsair mold seam.

On 12/29/2023 at 5:14 AM, Scooby said:

I’m not sure if you are aware, Hasegawa Tri-Tool make an excellent punch that replaces the donuts on the mold seam. They released this tool soon after the Corsair was released, I always thought it was designed specifically to replace that lost detail on the Corsair mold seam.

I used this tool to scribe the circular rivets:

https://www.cookson-clal.com/materiel-bijouterie/Jeu-de-12-perloirs-de-1-à-12,--avec-manche-universel-prcode-999-AIR1?p=gs&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAnL-sBhBnEiwAJRGigvRxTqBNA7xna7HQuws84fB7KKGCFD8NSrs2vdwTsxMW3L3sLcBA9hoC_SoQAvD_BwE

Called "perloir" in french

• Like 1

On 12/27/2023 at 5:04 PM, Mycapt65 said:

Very nice job. I have a Hasegawa -7 I was going to build as a AU1. After looking at yours I might reconsider. Do you know who has aftermarket decals that are correct for the Suez like yours? 

Thanks!

I used this decal sheet from adeco

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=http://www.kitreview.com/reviews/frenchcorsairdecalreviewbg_5.htm&ved=2ahUKEwi_5qPTuriDAxVscaQEHRl7COoQFnoECCsQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3d_9PmEUv7eiUDGJXp1-CQ

But maybe you can look in the Berna range?

• Like 1

Absolutely fantastic! One of the best late Corsair models I have ever seen!
I hope mine will end up at least half as good as yours!

Defiantly "Save as" material....

• Like 1