Wee Friends 1/72 Covenanter

With some time off for easter I've been tackling the 'Work In Progress' shelf which is almost full, I need space for more builds although I am trying to get better at starting a build and finishing it without being distracted by something new and shiny.

I have an ongoing ambition to build every British WW2 tank and tracked AFV in 1/72.  The Covenanter is an issue as no injection kit exists that I am aware of. The Wee Friends kit is aimed at wargaming but I thought I'd give it a go and break my duck on a relatively cheap resin model before I butcher the Hauler A30 Challenger I bought.

Being resin it was a different kind of build removing the moulding gates wasnt quite as bad as I thought it might be. It only comes in about 6 parts. I needed to rebuild the tool rack on the engine deck using some plasticard from an ice cream box. I added a shovel  to the tool rack from the bits box before I realised the turret bustle already had one moulded on, can never have too many shovels. The barrel that came with mine was cast white metal so I swapped that out for a Master turned barrel for the 2 pounder and also added a Besa barrel from the same pack. 

Decals were from Black Lion Decal's 'Training in Britain 1941-43' set and are for 9th Armoured Division.

20210408_205848.jpg

20210408_205827.jpg

20210408_205814.jpg

20210408_205924.jpg

20210408_205910.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Cheers

Edited by sardaukar
  • Like 26

3 hours ago, APA said:

Very nice little build. Well done 👍👌

An infamous subject as well. Brave choice 😂

Andrew 

Thanks

Well the plan was to build every British WW2 tank, even the bad ones...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IanC said:

Neat model, although I think they may have got the turret a bit oversized?

Thanks, not sure, I was worried about it being 1/76 rather than 1/72, however the hull dimensions check out for 72. The turret is looks about right compared with the 72nd plans I have. I also compared it with my two built crusaders (s-models and hasegawa) and the turret looks comparable, even interchangeable, and actually has some nicer detail.

1 hour ago, sardaukar said:

Thanks, not sure, I was worried about it being 1/76 rather than 1/72, however the hull dimensions check out for 72. The turret is looks about right compared with the 72nd plans I have. I also compared it with my two built crusaders (s-models and hasegawa) and the turret looks comparable, even interchangeable, and actually has some nicer detail.

Fair enough. It was just that I was looking at photos of them the other day, including shots of the one at Bovington, and the turret seemed smaller but that just may be down to camera angle.  Wish there was a 1/35 injected kit of it, but that's extremely unlikely to happen.

7 minutes ago, IanC said:

Fair enough. It was just that I was looking at photos of them the other day, including shots of the one at Bovington, and the turret seemed smaller but that just may be down to camera angle.  Wish there was a 1/35 injected kit of it, but that's extremely unlikely to happen.

Actually I see what you mean, I think the shape of the turret sides makes it difficult to judge with the eye. But the turret overhang in how far it comes out over the side storage boxes does seem to match the Bovington pics pretty much. The flimsy (I assume) cans do bulk out the turret a bit.

37 minutes ago, gamevender said:

Wee Friends does some beautiful casting. I've done several of their kits and they are excellent. 

I had them in mind for a MK.VII Churchill with the round side hatches. Now if only they did an Archer and a Matilda I in 1/72.

• 2 weeks later...