Making a DC-7C from Heller's DC-6 (1:72 scale)

I've long wanted to convert Heller's classic 1:72nd DC-6 to a DC-7 so I recently took the plunge and ordered the Aircraft in Miniature conversion set from Hannants. A box soon arrived crammed full of nicely molded grey resin along with a comprehensive set of instructions. 

The conversion kit gives you fuselage plugs to extend the DC-6 fuse to the longer DC-7, a new wing centre section, a new taller and squarer fin, saddle tanks for the engines, new cowlings and cooling gills (open or closed) as well as white-metal 4-bladed props. All in all a very comprehensive set. 

51103347783_b8d83d0e67_b.jpg

Looking at the work ahead I have decided to tackle the wings and engines first as these look to be the most demanding parts of the conversion. My first job was to remove the DC-6 engine nacelle extensions that sit over the wing - the new saddle tanks will replace these in due course:

51103345773_70d8cd7c86_b.jpg

Next I prepared the upper wings for mating to the new, extended wing centre-section by removing the inner section of the wing to fuselage fairing:

51103209177_b1bd2c90cf_b.jpg

I then added a false roof to the main gear bays as the surgery required to add the saddle tanks will undoubtedly be ugly, and then I offered the lower wings to the new wingbox. The original DC-6 centre-section gives a useful comparison:

51103345728_78a30c4918_b.jpg

I've encountered a small issue in the fact the chord of the new resin wingbox is greater than that of the DC-6 wing, but a file should soon take care of that...

Wing Insert

More updates to follow as this project progresses - stay tuned!

All the best,

Tom

• Like 18

2 hours ago, sroubos said:

I've got this kit and the conversion in my stash as well. Thanks for being a guinea pig ;)

Always happy to take one for the team!:banghead:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Wow, Tom!  Another big plunge on your part, as if the DC-8 weren't enough!  Can't get enough of that Douglas heavy metal, eh?  BTW: I really enjoyed building the Heller DC-6B SOB and I can see that this conversion is going to be a bit of work on your part.   

That box art takes me back to 1985, in the innocent days before the Internet, when (almost) every new release was a surprise.  I stumbled upon the kit while browsing the gift shop at the Smithsonian's Air and Space Museum.  What a find, and I think it cost me $12.50.  Later, Koku Fan magazine broke the news that Heller would release the 707-320B in '86, and I broke hard for jets!   I was "all-in" for big aircraft at that point.

I'm sure you know that the rear fuselage curvature on the underside is a little too abrupt, and could probably use some help.  I'm trying to plot out how best to correct that shape before I start my third DC-6, as Air Atlantique's G-SIXC.

• Like 3

Love to see this being build by you Tom...the engine cowl flaps do miss their bulges they should have were the  superchargers are fitted and the props are not entirely correct in shape ...

I have the same conversion but my centersection for this build is totally deformed and is going to need a heck of a lot of work to get corrected as one side is thicker than the other and not being straight as well..

I think I wil be ending up building a new one 🤪

Nevertheless lookin forward to your build Tom as will make it look outstanding(no pressure though)....

cheers, Jan

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SallysDad said:

This looks really interesting. 

Really liked, and still liking your B-52, as well.

Your builds are a class in creativity.

You’re too kind. There’s nothing special about my builds - I just love a challenge and am willing to throw caution to the wind!

18 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Wow, Tom!  Another big plunge on your part, as if the DC-8 weren't enough!  Can't get enough of that Douglas heavy metal, eh?  BTW: I really enjoyed building the Heller DC-6B SOB and I can see that this conversion is going to be a bit of work on your part.   

That box art takes me back to 1985, in the innocent days before the Internet, when (almost) every new release was a surprise.  I stumbled upon the kit while browsing the gift shop at the Smithsonian's Air and Space Museum.  What a find, and I think it cost me $12.50.  Later, Koku Fan magazine broke the news that Heller would release the 707-320B in '86, and I broke hard for jets!   I was "all-in" for big aircraft at that point.

I'm sure you know that the rear fuselage curvature on the underside is a little too abrupt, and could probably use some help.  I'm trying to plot out how best to correct that shape before I start my third DC-6, as Air Atlantique's G-SIXC.

The DC-8 is patiently waiting for better weather so that painting can begin - too much wet and windy weather here at the mo. 

Not sure I’ll correct the rear fuselage - I’ll have enough on my plate just getting this together!

17 hours ago, janneman36 said:

Love to see this being build by you Tom...the engine cowl flaps do miss their bulges they should have were the  superchargers are fitted and the props are not entirely correct in shape ...

I have the same conversion but my centersection for this build is totally deformed and is going to need a heck of a lot of work to get corrected as one side is thicker than the other and not being straight as well..

I think I wil be ending up building a new one 🤪

Nevertheless lookin forward to your build Tom as will make it look outstanding(no pressure though)....

cheers, Jan

I’ve checked my new centre section and the right wing is thinner than the left.  I’m not going to worry too much about that to be honest as it’s only noticeable from certain angles! I won’t tell if you don’t...

16 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

I want to see how this goes. I also have this conversion. Eventually will be a stablemate with a Super Connie, might be an unstable friendship.

I have done a Super Connie myself and this will certainly look the part along side it. I’m hoping one day Mr Gaunt will take on a Starliner conversion - that’ll get me spending more money!

Edited by tomprobert
Autocorrect gone mad
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, tomprobert said:

You’re too kind. There’s nothing special about my builds - I just love a challenge and am willing to throw caution to the wind!

The DC-8 is patiently waiting for better weather so that painting can begin - too much wet and windy weather here at the mo. 

Not sure I’ll correct the rear fuselage - I’ll have enough on my plate just getting this together!

I’ve checked my new centre section and the right wing is thinner than the left.  I’m not going to worry too much about that to be honest as it’s only noticeable from certain angles! I won’t tell if you don’t...

I have done a Super Connie myself and this will certainly look the part along side it. I’m hoping one day Mr Gaunt will take on a Starliner conversion - that’ll get me spending more money!

Would be nice to have a Starliner. I was lucky to get the German conversion, but still haven't made it yet. My opinion, THE prettiest of the Connie family.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Would be nice to have a Starliner. I was lucky to get the German conversion, but still haven't made it yet. My opinion, THE prettiest of the Connie family.

This sounds interesting - I wasn’t aware of a conversion being available and would love to see some pics if possible. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tomprobert said:

This sounds interesting - I wasn’t aware of a conversion being available and would love to see some pics if possible. 

It’s a conversion kit by https://www.scalemates.com/brands/kappners-fliegerhorst--7436 new wings, engines, metal props. It came out quite some time ago. If I forgot (have to look for it to) just search 1/72 starliner and you should find a nice one built on a dio on an apron. I was going to try cast the wings but never made anything this large and parts I have made don’t always come out nice. I think I was going to replace it’s engines with ones from Ha-Hen and tweak the exhaust or Plus Model and the props have round tips, I prefer the more common square tipped ones, both are correct.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

It’s a conversion kit by https://www.scalemates.com/brands/kappners-fliegerhorst--7436 new wings, engines, metal props. It came out quite some time ago. If I forgot (have to look for it to) just search 1/72 starliner and you should find a nice one built on a dio on an apron. I was going to try cast the wings but never made anything this large and parts I have made don’t always come out nice. I think I was going to replace it’s engines with ones from Ha-Hen and tweak the exhaust or Plus Model and the props have round tips, I prefer the more common square tipped ones, both are correct.

Well... you learn something new every day. I had no idea this conversion existed - thank you for sharing. It appears that they are like hen's teeth, however, so come on AIM!

In other news...

The lower wing halves were added to the new resin centre section, after the leading edges were filed and reshaped to match the Heller DC-6 wing. As you can see there are some substantial tabs that insert into the the DC-6 wing and these, coupled with five-minute epoxy have resulted in a very solid join:

51106607271_781c896db8_b.jpg

With some initial sanding, the lower join isn't too bad at all:

51106507198_d61120292c_b.jpg

The upper wings were braced with a sprue spar as they were weakened from the removal of the DC-6 nacelles, and then added to the lower sections. Here the join wasn't so great but I think this is solely down to the fact I didn't measure thrice and cut once - some plastic shims filled the gaps and then Milliput has done the rest. The wings are now in the process of having their panel lines restored:

51106507208_cb41e9e8b2_b.jpg

So far, so good...

Until next time,

Tom

• Like 8

Work has continued on the wings of late, and specifically the engines.

The resin replacement saddle tanks needed a bit of hot water treatment to get them to conform to the shape of the wing a little better, before they were epoxied firmly in place. A quick lick of Milliput sorted the joints without any major issues:

51117001526_fb15347fa0_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

51117001556_c18b61e400_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Next up was adding the rearmost sections on the engines themselves which include the exhaust stystem and various intakes. These sat slightly lower at the top if the large intake and therefore needed to be built up with some filler, but once sanded everything is nice and level and blended in:

51117001531_08896bfbdf_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

51117798820_56771bfd17_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

I think I've gone as far as I need to with the wing and engines now, so will likely turn my attention to the fuselage...

Until next time,

Tom

• Like 11

That is looking great. I really enjoy seeing your work unfolding.

Just a thought on the Stratocruiser (I think), I believe there is a complete kit of this made my Academy, though I can't remember for certain. 

Hi Tom.  Hope that you are keeping well, I somehow managed to miss the latest opus, but it looks to be up to your usual excellent standards.  I remember the SAS Seven Seas at Heathrow when I was 'spotting' there in the late 1950s and early 60s.   Robin.  

4 hours ago, SallysDad said:

That is looking great. I really enjoy seeing your work unfolding.

Just a thought on the Stratocruiser (I think), I believe there is a complete kit of this made my Academy, though I can't remember for certain. 

Hey b'ye, an islander. There was a 1/72 Stratocruiser made by Minicraft Academy, whichever. I should've bought one when they were affordable. There was even a P.E. set for it I saw.

• 8 months later...

Lots of progress to report on this build since the last update, but unfortunately I've since changed phones and lots of photos were lost when I transferred everything over. However, I had the decent camera out today so snapped some of the model in its current state. 

The wings have been finished off and the fuselage extended with new windows added to replicate the longer DC-7. The fuselage plugs fitted well but the new resin insert wing centre-section took a bit of fettling to get it to mate with the Heller fuselage but I got there in the end. The engines are just attached for the photos and are yet to be finished and painted. The new tail has also been added and fared into the trimmed down DC-6 fin:

DSC_0059

DSC_0057

DSC_0062

DSC_0054

DSC_0055

I need to finish the flightdeck and cockpit next and then I can give her a shot of primer to see how the new parts have blended in.

Tom

Edited by tomprobert
  • Like 11

Wow, Tom P!  This is pretty hard-core work on your part!  All that cutting and splicing with highly imperfect resin really makes me ashamed to ask the next question: will you be reshaping the aft part of the lower fuselage to correct Heller's contour goof?  It looks good the way it is, but if you're going all out, you might consider going all the way...!  Also, have you decided on an airline?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Wow, Tom P!  This is pretty hard-core work on your part!  All that cutting and splicing with highly imperfect resin really makes me ashamed to ask the next question: will you be reshaping the aft part of the lower fuselage to correct Heller's contour goof?  It looks good the way it is, but if you're going all out, you might consider going all the way...!  Also, have you decided on an airline?

Where's the contour screw up? Does it apply to the DC-6 as well?

Looks almost ready for the paint shop. I like it.

• Like 1

Hi, Tom.

A'm always happy to see a 7C in the works. Good progress

Unfortunatelly Heller made a mistake in the istruction sheet (and in the moulds) indicating to glue the air conditioner inlett on the left side of the fuselage.

It seems to me from your third pic of your post that you did that way.

At this stage, you still are on time to put it on the right side. Lots of images on the web

Check also in this thread, there are some interesting drawings.

Keeep up the good work.

Best regards

Eugenio

Edited by 72linerlover
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

I was aware that the lower fuse was a bit off, but no I've not done anything to correct it. Airline will the KLM - I've got Dutch family so have always been fond of that airline.

35 minutes ago, 72linerlover said:

Hi, Tom.

A'm always happy to see a 7C in the works. Good progress

Unfortunatelly Heller made a mistake in the istruction sheet (and in the moulds) indicating to glue the air conditioner inlett on the left side of the fuselage.

It seems to me from your third pic of your post that you did that way.

At this stage, you still are on time to put it on the right side. Lots of images on the web

Check also in this thread, there are some interesting drawings.

Keeep up the good work.

Best regards

Eugenio

Many thanks for this, Eugenio - I'll fix that this very evening!

Tom

• Like 1