Code Letters Needed

Bruce Archer

4 hours ago, Bruce Archer said:

I need red, outlined in white codes ( 7K) for a 1/48th scale Seafire. Does anyone know where I can get them?

Bruce, the FAA red/white outline codes are going to be hard to find- in any scale! I'm not nearly as familiar with Seafire decal sheets in 1/48 scale, so offhand I can't think of a sheet to look for. If you can list the codes you need for the model you plant to build, somebody might have spares to sell/trade/donate. Kursad, with Caracal Models decals has told me in the past that he has plans to do this style of FAA codes in 1/72 and 1/48 scales, but I haven't heard anything from him about a possible release date. He can be found in the vendors section, so you might send him a query to see when  he can get to them. I'm sure I'm not the only BM'er who would love to get a couple of sets!

Mike

You might also search for Wermacht armored  vehicle numeral/letter decals, as that style was commonly used- just need how tall the actual codes were, IIRC 24/30/36 inches were used on Spirfires/Seafires.

Failing that, you could place red '7' and 'K' decals on white decal stock and then use a brand-new X-acto blade to cut around each letter/numeral to leave a white border.

31 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Failing that, you could place red '7' and 'K' decals on white decal stock and then use a brand-new X-acto blade to cut around each letter/numeral to leave a white border.

You pretty much suggested everything I was going to except the last bit. I was thinking of using white codes but then using red decal stripes to make the infill, the '7' and the 'K' should be easy enough being mostly straight lines.

Mark.

There are generic Luftwaffe sheets with numbers and letters including outlines from Fantasy Printshop. You would need to figure out what size you need, they aren’t to any particular scale, you choose the appropriate size from what is available.
https://www.fantasyprintshop.co.uk/shop/?s=Luftwaffe+serials

There is an alternative method that I have used ... get a set of red codes and numbers of the appropriate size (Xtradecal, Aviaeology, Kitsworld etc make them)

measure carefully the width of the letter strokes, and add 1/16" per each side and, with good (Tamiya) masking tape on a piece of glass, with a fresh blade cut out the oversized letter.

Paint the fuselage white, and apply the tape letter. After all the camo is done and decaling starts , apply the red code letter on top. It works, and with applying a red decal, you can shift it around to get the borders even.  As you can see, you don't have to do the letter with one piece, I used straight sections, and small inside and outside curves for the corners. With "7K". it should be lot easier.

Image11 Image17

Image16

Image5

Colin

Edited by Tail-Dragon
  • Like 13

3 hours ago, 72modeler said:

@Tail-Dragon,

Slightly off-topic. but is that my favorite Mk XVIII Tse-tse Mossie, 'O' that you have built? beautiful! The 1/48 Tamiya or Airfix kit? Awesome!

Thanks,   It's the Airfix 1/48 ...

Tse Tse Mosquito build

Tse Tse Mosquito RFI

Edited by Tail-Dragon
  • Like 1

I've got that sheet! Thanks for reminding me, T-D! I got it just for the decals to do Seafire I, 7-T, MB183, which IIRC shot down an Fw-200 along with a squadron mate; both Seafires are on the cover of the old Squadron-Signal FAA Aircraft Colours and Markings reference book.

Mike

Your right, the codes should be the same size (at least for 7*T) ...

.spacer.png

Here's how you can do it with that sheet ..

seafire

Edited by Tail-Dragon
  • Like 1