Tornado GR.4 12 squadron "Leads the Field"

The build was filled with enthusiasm from the start. I have a big heart for the Tornado and so many great schemes to choose. 

Things started to feel heavy though before the paint was applied. Anyone who has built this kit knows the pitfalls. Because of the shape of the aircraft, fuselage in particular, knows the moulding limitations in manufacturing the kit. Pressing on, little things seemed to go wrong for me but I wanted to continue and not leave it for that shelf of you know where.

Vallejo Air paint and Eurodecals with India Ink accenting of the panel lines. A slight deviation in painting to show some panel changes as this aircraft morphed to a less pristine look but no less beautiful ride. Antennas to add but otherwise heading to the display case.

Thank you for having a look.

Craig

Zc0n9jy.jpg

TJMMcMt.jpg

XL8KlKA.jpg

se0nxQS.jpg

GL4B4KZ.jpg

LZLqAEc.jpg

3W3R6rT.jpg

q5cNF3P.jpg

• Like 41

Looks fantastic as well the chosen scheme.

I have two of them somewhere in my pile of doom. I have fixed a lot of the fit issues but they are waiting both for a better shaped nose.

• Like 1

That's a very smart example of the type: the Revell kit is still the best example of a Tornado available in 1/72nd scale but you're right it does need a little care and attention to bring it up to the standard of your kit.

When you are adding the antennas, remember to include the white GPS receiver on the spine. 

• Like 2

On 4/7/2021 at 8:36 PM, baldwin8 said:

Vallejo Air paint and Eurodecals with India Ink accenting of the panel lines.

Impressively beautiful build, Craig!

Could you explain how you use India Ink for the panel lines, please ?

Gene K

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gene K said:

Could you explain how you use India Ink for the panel lines, please ?

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments.

@Gene K the panel wash is something I've been doing for a number builds. I use a black or umber India Ink mix slightly watered down and applied with a 0 Round brush. The trick is in keeping the bristles wet with ink but not too much or too little and you can cover a large area fairly quickly and not too much excess to clean after. Your India Ink will be very permanent in seconds on a Matte finish, better to apply it over Gloss. You will get the right feel after a few minutes as to how much ink is on your brush for the right results. The common misconception of fine brush work is you need a brush with as few bristles as possibles. The fewer bristles, the smaller amount of ink or paint the brush will hold. Stay away from the 00 or 000 brush and stay with good quality 0 Round brush. My Winsor&Newton Sable was expensive but has paid for itself multiple times by holding a sharp point for years. Cleaning with proper brush cleaner will help keep it fresh. Synthetic brushes tend to have curled tips on the bristles very quickly.

There, that's my fireside chat on my India Ink washes.....................     :sleep_1:

J7VYzHM.jpg?1

boO2jeq.jpg?1

fDUtOBB.jpg?1

• Like 1

Lovely looking build & I personally think that Revell kit brings very good results. I remember having to relocate an underfuselage intake, & I had to scratch build the LRMTS & FLIR pods. Also re-instated the rivets that they omitted from the underside. Apart from that I think your finished article looks superb.

Martin

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

personally think that Revell kit brings very good results

Thank you and agreed Martin, but as you well know it doesn't fall together. In order to maintain that unique flat bottom fuselage trait, I had to resort to some heavy handed sanding to get the top of the fuselage to match contours, as noticed in the attached image. Some may know my aversion to using filler putty.

Z6LOLjr.jpg

• Like 1