Savoia Marchetti SM.79, Italeri 1/72

WOW that is spectacular,.... and I love that scheme too,.... I`ve never seen that one before,.... and it looks so right for flying low over the Med too.

Is that the bog standard `Metropolitan' Green and Grey scheme with additional mottling added?

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Even if you’d just displayed that beautifully painted Torpedo, that would be classified as a great work of art... combining it with a superb S.M 79, just makes this one of the best RFI models on show here. Excellent stuff all round.

Cheers and very well modelled.. Dave 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My jaw just dropped.  How did you do this?? Please instruct us on how you achieved the dark green patches in multiple “shadows” of verified swirls.  Absolutely stunning. 

• Thanks 1

Very nice representation of a S79 Aerosilurante with Fiat 128 engines. I did exactly the same one in 48th years ago for Scale Model magazine. Normally the wooden tail of the Whitehead torpedo is white. Epharisto poli!

• Thanks 1

Not "only" impressive - really spectacular job!

Painting, details, weathering, plane - I like all.

Gratulations!4

PS. Were you modified / improved exaggerated fuselage's fabric surface?

Best regards,

Michał

Edited by socjo1
  • Thanks 1

Bellisimo! Without a doubt the best Sm.79 I have seen- in any scale!  Beautiful detail work and painting, and that torpedo is a work of art- how did you get that finish? Looks like real metal on the torpecker! What the others have said goes double for me! (You might want to tweak the RH tire a bit, looks like Guido ground-looped this Sparviero a mite!) :giggle:

Mike

(The judges would have been justified in giving this one Best in Show!)

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, tonyot said:

WOW that is spectacular,.... and I love that scheme too,.... I`ve never seen that one before,.... and it looks so right for flying low over the Med too.

Is that the bog standard `Metropolitan' Green and Grey scheme with additional mottling added?

Cheers

Tony

Thank you! Yes Tony, it is Verde Oliva scuro with grigio azzuro chiaro(?) mottling

• Like 2

16 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Now that's a real beauty!

You have to tell us how you did the torpedo. That's probably the best I ever seen.

Chris

Thank you! Torpedo was easy! Acrylic black gloss, then Alclad aluminium. After that I sprayed acrylic matte Black for the "stripes". Finally I rubbed the black "stripes" with Uschi Van der Rosten Steel powder and Voila!! The trick is in the variation of the stripes.

15 hours ago, 28ZComeback said:

My jaw just dropped.  How did you do this?? Please instruct us on how you achieved the dark green patches in multiple “shadows” of verified swirls.  Absolutely stunning. 

Thank you! Actually it is grey mottles over green, just like the real thing. With a Badger Renegade Velocity, patience and practice. Trial and error. And good reference.

11 hours ago, VG 33 said:

Fantastic. I have the same Italeri box and this scheme is tantalizing. You mastered the airbrush. Grey over green ?

Patrick 

Thank you! Yes Patrick, Grigio azzuro chiaro over Verde oliva scuro.

7 hours ago, socjo1 said:

Not "only" impressive - really spectacular job!

Painting, details, weathering, plane - I like all.

Gratulations!4

PS. Were you modified / improved exaggerated fuselage's fabric surface?

Best regards,

Michał

Thank you! Yes I have used surfacer 500 and then sanded down the fuselage. The stabilisers were totally wrong. I erased all the detail and masked and sprayed stripes with Gunze surfacer 500 again. But under all this camo, it is barely visible!

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

Bellisimo! Without a doubt the best Sm.79 I have seen- in any scale!  Beautiful detail work and painting, and that torpedo is a work of art- how did you get that finish? Looks like real metal on the torpecker! What the others have said goes double for me! (You might want to tweak the RH tire a bit, looks like Guido ground-looped this Sparviero a mite!) :giggle:

Mike

(The judges would have been justified in giving this one Best in Show!)

Thank you! Torpedo was easy! Acrylic black gloss, then Alclad aluminium. After that I sprayed acrylic matte Black for the "stripes". Finally I rubbed the black "stripes" with Uschi Van der Rosten Steel powder and Voila!! The trick is in the variation of the stripes.

Edited by Alan Gelo
  • Thanks 1