HMS York 1941

Well masking tape off and no issues with the porthole rings pulling away.

A few touch ups needed but quite happy with the result

spacer.png

And the decking dry fitted for now

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 20

Well it looks a bit like a patch work quilt on the B decking but will have a go at getting it blended in with a few washes next up some deck fittings BOLLARDS this might slow the build up a bit.  :doh:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 16

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Courageous said:

What are those 'wedge-shaped' things?

Gidday, as they're above the boiler rooms I took them to be air intakes, to create a positive air pressure in the boiler rooms. But I could be wrong. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/12/2022 at 18:41, beefy66 said:

Well at last some time to myself few bits for the deck being blinged up.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

These vents look very cool!

Nice progress, Keith!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Happy New Year to you ALL.  🥳

Tree down house tidy and some time to myself means painting of the funnels and some of the main deck structures working on the searchlight platform and the bridge been looking for reference as to the open bridge area would the flooring be a steel deck grey or would it have the none slip cortices type floor any help with this would be appreciated.

Also planning on the placement of the BOB's Buckles ready for the funnel stays.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe and Best Wishes

beefyspacer.png

Stay Safe and Best Wishes

beefy

• Like 9

Looking tidy M8

54 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

open bridge area would the flooring be

You know I dont know anything about BIG ships but could it have been wood gratings?

Happy new year to you and yours

Stay safe and warm

Kev

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Faraway said:

I’m with @longshanks logic would say that the floor would be slatted wood duck boards.

Correct, and scrubbed every morning watch by the Bosuns Mate, Bridge Lookouts from the watch on deck and the on watch Signal man. My dad told me he used to do it, when I dripped at him that my first ship had wooden gratings and wooden upper deck in some areas that were scrubbed every morning/forenoon

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, beefy66 said:

... been looking for reference as to the open bridge area would the flooring be a steel deck grey or would it have the none slip cortices type floor ...

4 hours ago, longshanks said:

... could it have been wood gratings? ...

Hi beefy.  Happy New Year to you & your's.

I don't know the answer to your deck question, but I offer the following (food-for-thought) photos of RN cruiser open bridges, for your consideration.  The first looks like grey steel decking, while the second (HMS Sirius) has the teak lattice grating.  I don't think you could go wrong either way.

52603314454_b7a6ac1af2_z.jpg

52603484740_149cf0d93f_c.jpg

John

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, longshanks said:

Looking tidy M8

You know I dont know anything about BIG ships but could it have been wood gratings?

Happy new year to you and yours

Stay safe and warm

Kev

20 hours ago, Faraway said:

I’m with @longshanks logic would say that the floor would be slatted wood duck boards.

15 hours ago, chuckb1 said:

Correct, and scrubbed every morning watch by the Bosuns Mate, Bridge Lookouts from the watch on deck and the on watch Signal man. My dad told me he used to do it, when I dripped at him that my first ship had wooden gratings and wooden upper deck in some areas that were scrubbed every morning/forenoon

15 hours ago, JohnWS said:

Hi beefy.  Happy New Year to you & your's.

I don't know the answer to your deck question, but I offer the following (food-for-thought) photos of RN cruiser open bridges, for your consideration.  The first looks like grey steel decking, while the second (HMS Sirius) has the teak lattice grating.  I don't think you could go wrong either way.

52603314454_b7a6ac1af2_z.jpg

John

14 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Hi Beefy - had the same deliberation with my Eyebright bridge - I'm going for deck grey - I suspect bare wood and painted would have been seen, so I'm with John

Rob

Gent's thanks for your feedback on this In both the Eduard and WEM sets I have, they provide PE wood grating so I have used some from the Eduard set to make do and mend for this so will paint dark grey and touch in with some wood colour for the grates.

Some nice little additions for the bridge controls have been used also.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 8

19 hours ago, JohnWS said:

the second (HMS Sirius) has the teak lattice grating.

John

@JohnWS,

great photos and inspiration for building.

Yoy wrote" he second (HMS Sirius) has the teak lattice grating". I would say more - we see not only grating but lot of wooden platforms with planking around and above grating too. I would love to recreate such structure on modell.

And of course many, many details more like table, binoculars, and machine-guns...

Very busy outdoor office!

And last but not least. In the photo you showed us we see a ship's bow too. Look, the Sirius had a small mast in front of bridge:

HMS_Sirius_1942_IWM_FL_5263.jpg

So in the photo John showed us we are looking from rear side toward front. We have two side "grating holes" - left and right and in the middle is "planked bridge" with compass, pelorus and so on on it.

@beefy66 very nice progress, it will be beautifull ship.

Best regards,

Michal

Edited by socjo1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/3/2023 at 1:57 PM, robgizlu said:

Neat work on the windscreen - I always find them terrifying

Rob

Really Rob your work is always so neat.  :worthy:

On 1/3/2023 at 4:10 PM, socjo1 said:

@JohnWS,

great photos and inspiration for building.

Yoy wrote" he second (HMS Sirius) has the teak lattice grating". I would say more - we see not only grating but lot of wooden platforms with planking around and above grating too. I would love to recreate such structure on modell.

And of course many, many details more like table, binoculars, and machine-guns...

Very busy outdoor office!

And last but not least. In the photo you showed us we see a ship's bow too. Look, the Sirius had a small mast in front of bridge:

HMS_Sirius_1942_IWM_FL_5263.jpg

So in the photo John showed us we are looking from rear side toward front. We have two side "grating holes" - left and right and in the middle is "planked bridge" with compass, pelorus and so on on it.

@beefy66 very nice progress, it will be beautifull ship.

Best regards,

Michal

Thanks for the photos Michal great reference.  👍

Well managed to get the base coat on the main bits and the amidships gun shields fitted.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 8

Note the Lewis (Vickers GO) m.g. mounted on the fwd. port corner in the Sirius pic.

I've not measured or anything but I think the Trumpeter bridge screens (front and sides) in their RN cruiser kits are too low. If you compare Beefy's detail shot from Jan 3rd to the  Dido class pics JohnWS posted you'll see what I mean. Bridge crew had to stand on platforms to see over them!

Tom

Edit

Just had a measure on my Cornwall kit.

Fwd. stbd. corner deck to top of plastic 'wall' is 3.69mm x 350 = 1.29m about 4' 3"

does this sound about right?

Edited by Modelholic