HMS York 1941

3 hours ago, beefy66 said:

I could just get cracking on all the other scuttles I need to fit. 

Scuttles definitely, to hell with lines.

Didn't mean to make you feel guilty either. :(

I'd also be keen to see an R come together too, I've long liked the look of them, no pressure mind. :D 

Steve.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, robgizlu said:

don't you even think about doing HMS Meteor, I've reserved it :winkgrin::lol::nerd::whistle:

Not to worry Rob it will be built as HMS Martin or HMS Marne in keeping with my theme of building ships born on the river Tyne 

On 8/18/2021 at 10:45 PM, stevehnz said:

Didn't mean to make you feel guilty either. :(

No worries Steve I do need a good KUTA sometimes more often the better.  :poke:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 1

Small update from a very wet North East England part of my penance for even thinking about having a break from this build.  :poke:

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 15

Put a coat of primer on the hull to see where it needs any clean up and added more rails and ladders to the aft structure I think this is the wardroom area.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 13

Been looking at the instructions for the aircraft catapult do any of you fine gentlemen know if these would be a standard fit for all  RN cruisers or would they be different for each ship.  :book:

Stay Safe

beefy

45 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

Been looking at the instructions for the aircraft catapult do any of you fine gentlemen know if these would be a standard fit for all  RN cruisers or would they be different for each ship.  :book:

Stay Safe

beefy

I'm assuming they were the same depending on the aircraft carried, but I really don't know for sure.  beefy, here's a link to a nice video fo keep you entertained while you wait for the answer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dmNyts7f1w

John

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Stay Safe

beefy

I wondered the same thing Beefy wheni built Kent.  I searched for any etch offerings but could find none.

I like the covered railings.  all looking very fine indeed

Rob

• Thanks 1

In response to Beefy's query about the catapults fitted on cruisers, there were several types.  In particular, York completed without one, and was then fitted with an EIIH catapult (where "E" stood for "Extending", and "H" for "heavy" (ie the weight of aircraft it could launch)).  This was replaced later by an SIH ("S" for "Sliding").  Exeter carried two SIH catapults in later life.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Our Ned said:

In response to Beefy's query about the catapults fitted on cruisers, there were several types.  In particular, York completed without one, and was then fitted with an EIIH catapult (where "E" stood for "Extending", and "H" for "heavy" (ie the weight of aircraft it could launch)).  This was replaced later by an SIH ("S" for "Sliding").  Exeter carried two SIH catapults in later life.

Thanks for that info Ned that is what I was hoping for as an answer the reason being that I am using the Exeter PE sets which look a lot better than the kit offering so the PE one will be built up tomorrow night. 👍

Stay Safe

beefy

So after some little fiddly stuff got stuck together we end up with these the kit offering and the WEM PE it has the extendable sections.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Also made a start on the hull paint black under coat which gives me the boot line and the lower hull to show some weathering i have used desert yellow and Israeli sand from Vallejo must of which will not be seen.  

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 17

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
1 hour ago, SallysDad said:

Beefy, I hope you are well and safe. 

Are you getting back to this build?

Hi and yes all well I am just about to complete the BYMS my first commission build but that to has been slow going as real life family matters has taken up a lot of my time the past few month hope to get back to this build when I have finished my Gorleston build which is not far off being completed as well so maybe in August I will re-start York.

Thanks for the KUTA on this one.  :poke:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

Hi and yes all well I am just about to complete the BYMS my first commission build but that to has been slow going as real life family matters has taken up a lot of my time the past few month hope to get back to this build when I have finished my Gorleston build which is not far off being completed as well so maybe in August I will re-start York.

Thanks for the KUTA on this one.  :poke:

Stay Safe

beefy

Thanks for the note.

Very glad you are safe and well.

R

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Well Gorleston is nearly done just waiting for the base layers to dry out so thought I had better blow the dust and cobwebs from this lady.

After figuring out where I was in the build I settled on the hull painting and masking for the camo 507A first then the masking.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 13