HMS York 1941

Making a spot for the start of this build HMS York heavy cruiser got the kit for a bargain at the last show Bolton I managed to get to before everything fell apart.  😷

Since then I have acquired a few extras ( The BIG BOY'S came around honest :boxing:) to go with it mostly for her sister ship Exeter but sure I can make them fit

and very inspired by @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies and @robgizlu builds I will be attempting the same camouflage as the box art a bit like Rob's HMS Berwick build light grey and dark grey 507C and 507B I think I have that right.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And there should be another parcel on it's way soon to help add a bit more.

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 23

Great stuff! You're on the right track with the camouflage - 507A and 507C though :)

Are you building it in the water or will the bottom be on show?

It looks like HMS York was launched with a black underwater hull

12022426_450_450_80876_736_fit_0_c90e7a5ryct0ha4ppr51.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

When wrecked it's not obvious that there's a contrasting lighter tone on show where the starboard bow is showing a bit more. It could still be a deep boot topping, but...?? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

That is a great help Jamie I will be putting it into a base but with most of my builds I do like to have a bit of the lower hull showing( Note trying to be sensible and not mention bottom ):whistle:

Do you think below the boot top would have been repainted during the camouflage application.

At this stage of the game I am trying to get as much info as possible and have ordered some books @robgizlu recommended in his build log of Kent and Berwick any other suggestion welcome I also have Cornwall and Exeter to build I really must retire soon

Stay Safe 

beefy

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

Do you think below the boot top would have been repainted during the camouflage application.

It would typically be scraped clean and repainted every dry-docking. Usually ships would have two docking plans to support the ship on its keel which they'd alternate between dockings so that the bits not accessible to repaint one docking would be done the next. Unless there was a specific reason to change though, generally they seem to have kept the brand and colour from that brand the same to ensure no weird chemical reactions between incompatible paints. They could change the brand, but the instructions required them to scrape it all off back to bare metal and start from scratch if they did so it doesn't seem to have happened without a good reason. Examples of good reasons I am certain about include things like transferring British-built ships to Australian service and due to the impractical logistics of getting the British-made protective and anti-fouling paints in Australia they drydocked upon arrival and changed to a brand made in Australia. Other examples include switching from relatively expensive Admiralty-quality anti-fouling paint to relatively cheap merchantile quality anti-fouling paint, but this was only just being experimented on with smaller, less strategically important ships around the timeframe that HMS York was lost.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gidday Beefy, this looks an interesting build. I did this ship about three years ago, about the time I joined Britmodeller but before I became active on the site. Mine is a hybrid Airfix/scratched build in 1/600 scale. I also chose this colour scheme (the grey shades guesstimated in my case) and although I have photos of the launching the black underwater hull escaped my notice. I look forward to seeing your build come to life, so to speak. Regards, Jeff.

5 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Beefy, this looks an interesting build. I did this ship about three years ago, about the time I joined Britmodeller but before I became active on the site. Mine is a hybrid Airfix/scratched build in 1/600 scale. I also chose this colour scheme (the grey shades guesstimated in my case) and although I have photos of the launching the black underwater hull escaped my notice. I look forward to seeing your build come to life, so to speak. Regards, Jeff.

Hi Jeff yes I was looking at your build the other day very nice but way to small for me 600 scale.  :hypnotised:

Thanks for joining in fellas well not one but two packages arrived today were not supposed to be here until the end of the month only 2 weeks from ordering well pleased

More bits of PE not just for this build but also my WTF Zeppelin and some very nice bits from Micro Master just waiting on my books now.

Thanks to the BIG lad @robgizlu for putting me onto these

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Not all for this build before someone picks up on the quad torpedo launchers.

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 14

Well - judging by the Waterfall of likes this is going to be a very popular build!

And BTW less of the "BIG" boy - I've struggled hard with the cals in lockdown and now that both my rowing machine and Stepper are U.S. what more can you expect of a young Welsh lad (ex hooker:nodding:)

Great to see the portholes. doors and MM goodies (Addictive aren't they :whistle:)

Rob

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

Well - judging by the Waterfall of likes this is going to be a very popular build!

And BTW less of the "BIG" boy - I've struggled hard with the cals in lockdown and now that both my rowing machine and Stepper are U.S. what more can you expect of a young Welsh lad (ex hooker:nodding:)

Great to see the portholes. doors and MM goodies (Addictive aren't they :whistle:)

Rob

So have you put a lot of wait on then if you have broken 2 machines what about your bike.  🚲

Or are those Lycra shorts on FB just for show.  :coolio:

And the bits and pieces are addictive so much quality in them. 👍

Stay Slim and Safe

beefy

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...

Well made a start on this now and first of my mistakes was not checking about the difference of B turret deck as you can see I was thinking of using this from a set for Exeter DOH not the same size or shape will have to try and patch or copy @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies and attempt to make one from thin card and scribe I have spent more time removing details so far rather than building. Also the same issue with the funnels as @Marco1965 the bands around them are barely visible so will have to add some thin wire to make them stand out more. Also need to order more of the eyelets from Bob's Buckles

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 18

Belatedly pulling up a chair on this one Beefy. I have one of these in the stash, driven by my desire to become a proper big boy! I know I will learn much from your build.

Shame about the B deck overlay, but I reckon you will sort it!

Terry

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Small up date started work on the funnels replaced the moulded lines with wire and caps and siren platforms fitted.

spacer.png

looks a bit wonky but actually it is the funnel that is not vertical and could not resist a look at the micro master main turret

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 11

Precise work Beefy!

I struggle with those funnel tops 🤪 just a touch knocks them out of shape then it’s almost impossible to get them back to how they should look.

Guy

• Like 1