What to do with part built and "retired" models?

RobL

Hey all

I've kind of given up on scale models for the moment, due to cost (it's no less expensive than buying most models for my tabletop gaming now), lack of enthusiasm, health issues etc.

As a result I have a few kits that are sitting around part built.  One for a few years, one for even longer than that.  I also have a few models that I've "retired" for one reason or another (usually because I built/painted them poorly), mostly hiding in drawers.

The part built models I have are -

An Academy 1/72 Blue Angels F-18.  It's built to the point I would finish filling/sanding off the nose modification Academy have you do and put paint down on it.  Canopy isn't attached though and a couple of small parts were lost to the carpet monster - one of the little tail fin brackets and a bracket from underneath the wing.

A Meng 1/35 Mk V Male tank.  I bought it for the 100th commemorations.  I've built and painted the interior and was about ready to start building the track units and attaching the interior/hull floor to them, although I'm missing a few road wheels now, not that they'd be noticeable once the tracks are on.

An Eduard 1/72 FW-190A.  I reached the paint stage on that and managed to get to a panel fading stage.  It's in the North Africa scheme.  I tried putting photoetch engine grills and flaps on, think that was a bit of a failure.  I also bought and used Eduard's Big Ed set for it.  Not sure what state it's in as it's hidden away in a drawer.

And a 1/350 AMT/Ertl Klingon Bird of Prey.  It's painted in the overall green colour and I had started to do some of the panel detail colours on the wings.  Condition as yet undetermined as it's been sitting since 2015 in it's box which is down alongside the end of my bed.

The models I've "retired" are a couple of 1/72 Sea Kings (Revell and Fujimi kits, painted in USN and 22sqn RAF Rescue colours ), and an Academy 1/35 USCG H-13 (modified a bit to act as a housing for an RC micro helicopter, I think it might have flown on one occasion).  I also have a 1/35 Academy UH-1C hanging on my ceiling I'd like to retire as it wasn't very well built/painted and has been damaged by SWMBO moving stuff around in the room, meaning it's missing it's rotors assembly, think that's all the damage to it.

With the part built kits I just can't be bothered picking the kits up and getting the balls rolling again.  And I don't feel I have space to store/display them even if they do get completed.

If I'm honest with myself I feel the same way about most of my stash of a dozen or so kits.

But I also can't be bothered putting them on eBay or other sales sites because I probably won't get much money for them, and postage will probably outweigh or significantly eat into what I do get for them., and they're liable to have bits fall off them during their transit journey anyway.

Part of me also doesn't want to let them go in case I run out of model buying money and need something to do but I also don't want them just sitting around my room - it's a 8x6 box room that I spend my waking and sleeping time in (when I'm not sat at the dining room table doing models) and my room needs a clear out!

So, dilemma?!

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Edited by RobL

• RobL changed the title to What to do with part built and "retired" models?
14 minutes ago, RobL said:

Part of me also doesn't want to let them go in case I run out of model buying money and need something to do!

I think you've answered your own question - you can always come back to the hobby

Enjoy your tabletop gaming in the meantime

Respectfully 

• Like 2

I gave up modelling some 25 - 30 years ago, and pretty well left everything in the corner of the loft as it was - unmade, part made etc.

Then a 3 years ago I decided (can't remember why) to start up again. I hadn't really seen my stash for many years and it was great fun getting reacquainted and finishing a few of the old kits. It was also nice that I had most of the modelling tools and a surprising number of viable paints which meant restarting didn't mean an enormous outlay on tools and materials ... at least until I was sure I was well and truly hooked again.

Cheers

Colin

• Like 3

I rationalised my stash, built and partially built models last year. As I was not worried about the cash value i donated them to a local aircraft museum, this was through a BM member I knew volunteered there. This was at the start of the covid pandemic and as a result I have not been able to visit said museum since my donation.

As long as you let them know the condition many charity shops used to accept models in such states.

A few years ago it fell on me to dispose of one of my club's late members unfinished kits. There was about 30 to 35 kits.

I sorted them and put them into zip-lock plastic bags or their original boxes.

Labelled what was what with them then put them out at model shows in a bigger box labelled 'free to a new home'

Eventually what was left went into the IPMS 'kitswop' free section that year

You could offer them to BMers for a small price plus postage or for free plus postage

• Like 1

Depends how old my part builds are, had a de clutter recently and threw a good few in the bin ... of course the next day after bins were emptied and regretted chucking a half built Hasegawa 1/48 two seater ... still not that bad an F-16 kit and rare as hens teeth now apparently!

• Sad 1

My wife once threw out my entire collection of built up 1/72 USAF/USN models while I was away on a business trip. They had been packed away for a house move and hadn't been unpacked again once we moved into the new place so after a couple of years she figured they were surplus to requirements! They were from my first adult attempts at modelling and weren't brilliant if I'm honest to myself but even so I was a bit miffed as many of the parts could have been salvaged (Hasegawa weapons sets etc) or some of the kits restored. So now I throw nothing away without having made sure I will not have a need form them in the future.

I have a small box of bits that are either unused options from kits or bits that have been removed from scrap kits, mostly wheels, undercarriage legs, weapons and canopies etc. It's amazing how many times I've dipped into that box for something. I have a couple of redundant models that I use as 'paint mules' to test paint mixes or to try out techniques on before committing to the latest build. Neither of these suggestions are much use to you if you intend giving up the hobby though. If you really are giving up and can't be bothered selling them on eBay or the likes then a charity shop might be the best option or else it's the bin.

Duncan B

• Sad 1

If Telford is on this year, and if it's something that you attend, you could always donate them to the "Give a model a new home". They are then sold off and the monies generated are donated to charity.

John.

• Like 2

On 07/04/2021 at 20:55, Richard E said:

I think you've answered your own question - you can always come back to the hobby

Enjoy your tabletop gaming in the meantime

Respectfully 

Yeah probably, thanks.  But I feel the need to clear my room out, I currently don't want these kits lying around doing nothing just gathering dust.  I don't have anywhere to store them though.  I don't go to model shows either.

But thanks guys.  I'll work something out.  I think I'm just having one of those "down" periods and I'm possibly feeling a bit "closed in" where I've been suffering with insomnia and have been stuck in my room at night, door closed, due to other members of the household being asleep.

• 3 weeks later...

I usually keep them around until I get motivated to carry on with them. For retired projects though I either just straight up bin them or salvage any parts I could use in future builds. 

I know airplane models rarely get sold as parts lots on evilbay but are very useful as parts. Car models are very common as parts junkyards. I made a couple of planes i have into pedestal models. I used to buy parts lots of truck models and build them up, that was before reissues and they were a fortune, still are. Some gluebomb cars I have are either made into junkyard derelicts or meet their fate under one of my many heels. A couple have become paint mules for paint testing.