Ebay email on payments, scam or not?

One 48

Thought I would ask here as a lot of us use Ebay for our modelling passion, buying or selling.

Have an email here that asks me by URGENT REMINDER to update my details (that provides a hyperlink I've not clicked yet) by May 31, it basically says that payments will be going straight to my bank account and not Paypal as has been the case for many a year.

This is setting alarm bells off in my head, we're all told not to share bank details online, but that's what this email that looks legit from Ebay seems to be asking?

It says its an URGENT REMINDER (that also sets alarm bells going) but I don't recall any email on this new payment procedure in the first place? I use Gmail that is usually quite good catching spam, but this one went straight to my in-box.

If its legit and I missed original email on this upcoming change ... then I wonder what was wrong with original system of paying into my Paypal account for my sales ?

Legit or or not? if its legit, figured folk here would know. Some scams really are getting very elaborate and clever these days and harder to spot.

Thanks.

eBay are asking us to update our details  for direct payment but doesn’t mean the email is legit and indeed the urgent bit is a red flag, I’ve got what looks like the legit one in my inbox and it hasn’t got such strong language. Remember all don’t click email links and enter personal data, go to the applicable websites and apps direct

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 2

If they are asking you to update your details and link to a website, and also state about payments treat as a scam. Easy way to check, hover over the email address, of nota true eBay.com, eBay.co.uk then definitely scam. Either way, instead of clicking the link, open a browser and manually type eBay web address and log in to your account. Never log in through a link in an email.

• Like 3

A very good rule of thumb is that if requests use terms like URGENT or URGENT REMINDER they are scams. Don't click on anything. 

• Like 3

Just now, Pete F said:

A very good rule of thumb is that if requests use terms like URGENT or URGENT REMINDER they are scams. Don't click on anything. 

Yes, thats what made me smell a rat, that and not remembering an original change email from Ebay ... I think I'll call them

• Like 1

Check the email address it's come from.  Post it here.  That'll be the first give away.  But yeah, from your description of the email, defo a scam.

Also, remember to mark the email as phishing if you can.  Your email provider, if like me your using gMail or Hotmail, should then get a report about the email.

Edited by RobL
  • Like 1

It came from ...    [email protected]     legit or not?

EDIT: OK looking in my Ebay account and messages, seems it is legit, but wont be using that link just in case it is a phissing scam trying to cash in on a legit change, they can hide scams behind genuine looking emails now apparently?

Did not mean to fear monger or anything, was/is a genuine concern, since it says change details by 31st May on my actual Ebay account message center, will leave it until nearer then to let some dust settle, first I've heard of it though and I do use Ebay to buy and sell frequently ... shrugs?

I thought system we have just now was OK ... sensitive to change in my old age I guess :)

Edited by One 48

I've just done a little research and discovered that eBay is indeed changing its relationship with PayPal and that will affect sellers. In effect they are separating from PayPal. However this could still easily be a scam preying on this fact. I would do what others have suggested and log into your eBay account independently from this email and see if there are any messages.

• Like 1

From ebay community, first Google result putting that email address into the search bar -

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Archive-Trust-and-Safety/Hi-received-an-email-offer-from-the-following-email-address-is/td-p/6468899

Same email address, only that persons email was offering him a prize draw.

100% scam.

Edited by RobL
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pete F said:

I've just done a little research and discovered that eBay is indeed changing its relationship with PayPal and that will affect sellers. In effect they are separating from PayPal. However this could still easily be a scam preying on this fact. I would do what others have suggested and log into your eBay account independently from this email and see if there are any messages.

Thanks Pete, it dawned on me, check my actual Ebay for messages, so the upcoming change is legit, but the email I got, not sure about, wont use its link ... thanks all.

We need to be ever more vigilant, there are some clever scams out there, doesn't hurt to ask I suppose.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Yup, best advise as recommended here, if in doubt, never click email links where it concerns money or bank details, even if they look legit, look on actual account it concerns if you have one! or call them via regular numbers you know, not numbers provided in emails ... hate these scammers with a passion, really feel for the elderly and vulnerable they catch :(

Thanks all, your the best 👍

12 hours ago, One 48 said:

Thanks Pete, it dawned on me, check my actual Ebay for messages, so the upcoming change is legit, but the email I got, not sure about, wont use its link ... thanks all.

We need to be ever more vigilant, there are some clever scams out there, doesn't hurt to ask I suppose.

Cheers.

The email is a scam but like all of the more successful ones is based on truth. eBay are changing the way payments are being processed but it is a slow roll out and they will send you a bona fide message through their own system (and by email) asking you to go to your account to register. I had the email from them last week and have successfully changed over from PayPal to their new payments provider. (I'm still not sure I like the change but will give it a while to 'test drive' it).

As others have said, don't go clicking on any links unless you are 150% sure you know where it has come from, online shops sending you a link to your invoice for example (still check the email address it was sent from first though). In my example above you could always call the online shop and ask if they have sent you that email if you were still unsure, better safe than sorry.

Duncan B

• Like 1