Hello Everyone

81-er

I’m returning to modelmaking after a bit of a break, it’s been about a decade since I last bashed any plastic and more like 20 since I did any serious amount of model making/finished a model. I stumbled on here after finding a certain Mr Heath’s build of Attitude Adjuster in the process of hunting the interweb for info/builds of the Seavens Dalek, as I have a rather sorry looking one stashed away somewhere. I originally built that aged somewhere around 11 or 12, then somewhat disassembled in my late teens thinking I could refurbish it to a higher standard. That plan stalled due to the distractions that typically occupy the mind of a lad in his late teens but I kept it around as I always promised myself I’d get back to it one day. I’ve decided that having officially hit the age where I can have a midlife crisis, it really should be something I do soon. I just need to work out if it’s in my parents’ loft or the ex-wife’s…

While I can’t go loft diving yet, with the easing of the restrictions here I could at least ask my Dad nicely to grab a black sack of models I did know were in his loft, and easy to locate. One socially distanced visit to see them in their garden later, and I returned home with this haul:

45cOvz7.jpg

The Hercules and the Lightning are partially assembled, having been started in my teens in the mid- to late-90’s. The Blohm & Voss is yet to be started, but probably dates back to the same period. I’ve already read through & bookmarked Nigel’s build on that, which I’ll be using for reference when I come to build this.

The rest of the kits date from the last time I had a bash at modelling a decade-ish ago. The Morane Saulnier and the Mig-3 have had some assembly & painting done on them, fairly minor on the M.S. but a reasonable way through on the Mig. Not the best paint job on that, nor is the fit/level of detail fairly inspiring. I think that will become a test bed for (finally) having a crack at the dark art of weather rather than a model I build for display. The F-19 and Fw190 haven’t been started yet. There were also a couple of MPC Star Wars models in that bag, but I don’t fancy rectifying the half-built mess I made of them over 25 years ago. I think they’ll head to the world’s favourite auction site in case someone else fancies the challenge.

Inspired by some of the threads I’ve read through as a lurker, I ordered a load of Eduard and Aries resin and PE details for the Lightning, so naturally I’ve made a start on the choppers instead. There’s some sense behind this though, as although I’ll be pleased to produce a decent result, I’m not worried if I botch these up getting my hand back in. I’m also planning to try working with acrylics for the first time too, having grown up exclusively using enamels.

Long term I’ll mostly be sticking to 1/72 (purely as that gives me chance to fit more in to the display space available) WW2 aircraft, Luft ’46 stuff, maybe the odd jet from the early post-war period, plus a few Sci-Fi kits here and there. For now, I’m off to start a WIP thread for the choppers.

• Like 5

Welcome aboard!

You'll find a wealth of help, advice and experience on here, if you've got any questions there'll be members who can help.

Looking forward to seeing your builds!

Cheers,

Mark

:welcome:  If Carlsberg made modelling forums they would have done this one.  You've arrived into good company.  I have been on here quite a while now and a friendlier and more helpful bunch you couldn't meet.  Enjoy your time and ask any questions you want as there are no daft ones.  I know as Ive asked a few ones myself but always had helpful responses.  The section on FAQ's helps a lot and gives the mods a quieter time.  Its family friendly so no naughty words allowed and strictly no controversial topics likely to set off a bun fight so no politics etc !  You will have a great time here.  

That stash shows a range of subjects.  Whats your favourite aircraft from modern era or bikes?  The vehicle guys feel outnumbered so another bike modeller will be more than welcome !!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, JohnT said:

That stash shows a range of subjects.  Whats your favourite aircraft from modern era or bikes?  The vehicle guys feel outnumbered so another bike modeller will be more than welcome !!

Modern aircraft wise, I guess it depends on what you class as modern. I'd say something like the A-10 or B-2, but neither of those designs is particularly new. As for the bikes, I have to confess I'm not really much of a bike guy. I tend to like my performance machinery with 4 wheels, though I have a general appreciation of anything high performance. The choppers speak to me as I love hotrods and they're the 2 wheeled equivalents

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 81-er said:

Long term I’ll mostly be sticking to 1/72 (purely as that gives me chance to fit more in to the display space available) WW2 aircraft

Gidday 81-er, welcome aboard. I'm almost exclusively into model ships, but like you I mainly stick to one scale (1/600) for the same reason as you, plus it's easier to compare one item (your planes, my ships) with another. Regards, Jeff.

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Welcome aboard. What part of Essex are you from?

John.

Originally Grays, now residing in sunny Southend

1 hour ago, 81-er said:

Originally Grays, now residing in sunny Southend

Very similar. Born and bred in Southend (Eastwood), and then when I was married, after leaving the army in the early 70s, I lived in Stifford Clays for 12 years.

John.

Stifford Clays really is my neck of the woods. My parents live on Lodge Lane, my grandparents lived on Long Lane, and I went to Stifford Clays Primary and William Edwards

16 hours ago, 81-er said:

Stifford Clays really is my neck of the woods. My parents live on Lodge Lane, my grandparents lived on Long Lane, and I went to Stifford Clays Primary and William Edwards

PM on it's way.