1/43rd scale Dennis F8 Pump Tender

Hello folks! I don’t often have cause to venture in here, beyond looking at the lovely models you all build. The currently ongoing Anything But Injection group build has given me the chance to complete some vehicle models that have been lingering on or around the Shelf of Doom for too long. I am particularly pleased with how this cutie turned out, so I present it for you here.

1/43rd Dennis F8 Pump Tender

51093642249_6718e1ca20_b.jpg

51094371605_d03e636bcf_b.jpg

51094104128_9550666d2a_b.jpg

51093642564_8aae14228e_b.jpg

51093657677_d1031b0ca8_b.jpg

The Dennis Brothers set up the UK's first car factory in Guildford, Surrey, towards the end of the 19th Century. The company eventually became renowned for building service vehicles of all kinds. You can still see the Dennis name on buses and refuse lorries (I still call the latter "dustcarts", because I am old), though the company as such no longer exists. 

One of a long line of fire appliances, built to meet British Home Office specifications as well as the specific requirements of various fire services, the Dennis F8 was introduced in 1952. It was a big hit, being a relatively small vehicle which meant it was able to work in narrow streets that larger appliances couldn't necessarily fit into. The pump tender, essentially what most fire appliances are to this day, could be referred to as a "first responder". It carried water in a tank, hoses and rescue equipment in the various lockers along the sides, a 35ft extendable ladder, and a powerful pump, as well as up to five or six firefighters, and was powered by a 4.2 litre 6-cylinder Rolls-Royce diesel engine.

The kit was made in the early 2000s. It has a one-piece resin body and cab interior, cast whitemetal chassis and running gear, cast brass detail parts, and PE brass brightwork and ladder. I have made a generic model of an F8, based on various preserved vehicles. I added some extra details to the cabin, as well as scratch building some parts like the windscreen wipers, spot lamp and the door mirrors. I'm really happy how this model turned out, though there are parts I could have done better. The fire station branding is completely fictitious, as is the number plate, but you might like to know Stoughton is the district in Guildford where the Dennis factory was situated.

The WIP thread is here:

• Like 21

That's a real beauty Heather, really cracking model! Love the paintjob and all the metal details in the back! 

2 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

I still call the latter "dustcarts", because I am old

Haha - me too - and the guys who now throw black bags rather than empty metal bins in them are still dustmen! 

Anyway, great build, top job! 👍

Keith

I like it very much Heather,I followed the build and I was very impressed with the kit itself- and your excellent building of it course! Now wondering if I could ever find one of these kits for myself? Chris.