USAF's F-15EX has an official name

Slater

10 hours ago, Slater said:

At least "Eagle" sounds a little better than B-2 "Spirit" or B-1 "Lancer". In the case of the USAF at least, naming aircraft seems to be a forgotten skill. In the past we had "Stratofortress", "Delta Dagger", "Starfighter", "Voodoo", "Thunderchief", and many others. At least the RAF scores points with "Typhoon" and "Tempest", although "Airseeker" results in a 5 point deduction :D  

I agree there been some bad names chosen over the years. I’ll take Lancer all day over Bone it drives me nuts when I hear that. Spirit isn't to good either. Eagle was ok but would’ve preferred Viper for the 16 myself

16 hours ago, Slater said:

At least "Eagle" sounds a little better than B-2 "Spirit" or B-1 "Lancer". In the case of the USAF at least, naming aircraft seems to be a forgotten skill. In the past we had "Stratofortress", "Delta Dagger", "Starfighter", "Voodoo", "Thunderchief", and many others. At least the RAF scores points with "Typhoon" and "Tempest", although "Airseeker" results in a 5 point deduction :D  

Airseeker is program, with Rivet Joint being the aircraft name, no? Of course, Rivet Joint *is* terrible, but it’s on the USAF. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/04/2021 at 07:09, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Eagle was ok but would’ve preferred Viper for the 16 myself

I think the problem was that ‘Battlestar Galactica’ got there first. 😀

10 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Hows about Raptor Beater as they may retire F22 early in drive to have only four fighter types in service.

Now that would be a story if it runs it's coarse.

You mean the Eagle replacing its alleged replacement :devil:

• Like 1

On 5/15/2021 at 1:54 AM, Bandsaw Steve said:

I think the problem was that ‘Battlestar Galactica’ got there first. 😀

From what I’ve read, pilots started calling the F-16 “Viper” because BSG was on TV at the time the jet came into service. Viper is definitely a better name than “Fighting Falcon.” What a mouthful! I like how the Japanese call their F-2A the Viper Zero. The USAF definitely lacks imagination when it comes to naming airplanes.

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Slater said:

Well, we have the new B-21 Raider. So the Cylons get their counter to the F-16 Viper :D

Hmmmm...

Hadn’t thought of that. A worrying choice given the Ceylon Raider’s less-than-stellar combat record. 

On 4/7/2021 at 3:42 PM, Alan P said:

They missed a trick not calling it Iron Eagle 😂

Well if they're calling it Eagle II maybe they can get Lou Gossett,Jr to do the voice overs for the military ads, or better yet the cockpit voice to alert the pilot instead of the namby-pamby computer voice it has now.

• Haha 2

On 22/04/2021 at 21:36, Navy Bird said:

I'm not a big fan of anything with a "II" after it. Reminds me of movie sequels.

I'm with you on that Bill. Are we now to expect Eagle III, The Story Continues, Eagle IV, The Eagle Strikes Back or even Eagle V, The Prequel? 

Martian 👽

• Haha 2

On 17/05/2021 at 11:19, LorenSharp said:

Well if they're calling it Eagle II maybe they can get Lou Gossett,Jr to do the voice overs for the military ads, or better yet the cockpit voice to alert the pilot instead of the namby-pamby computer voice it has now.

Do you mean that irritating woman who has made a fortune out of doing voice overs on just about every sort of tech there ever was? I wouldn't exactly say she gets on my proverbials but if I ever run into her, I shall do the Galaxy a service by turning around and running into/over her again just to be sure. I knew things had gone too far when I last asked Marvin the Paranoid Android how the was feeling and he replied that he was feeling very depressed in the same female voice!

Martian von Unexpected Item In Bagging Area 👽

• Haha 3