USAF's F-15EX has an official name

Slater

The 'F-15EX This Will Screw Up the Social Media Analytics for LM's Launch of the Danish F-35 As People Tune in to This Instead as They Wonder What On Earth We're Going to Rename the Eagle' might have been just a bit too obvious...

Edited by XV107
  • Like 1

F-1 Sex???

Or 

F-15 ex...it is an ex-Eagle...it has ceased to be...[I'm sure you all can "parrot" the rest of the sketch!]

• Haha 6

• 2 weeks later...

It's incredible to think that 50 years on from the Wright brothers the F-4 Phantom was being developed. Step forward nearly 50 years from the development of the F-15 that replaced the F-4 and we have.....the F-15. Fancy new engines, electronics and weapons etc but to the air flowing around it its still an F-15!

Duncan B 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Duncan B said:

It's incredible to think that 50 years on from the Wright brothers the F-4 Phantom was being developed. Step forward nearly 50 years from the development of the F-15 that replaced the F-4 and we have.....the F-15. Fancy new engines, electronics and weapons etc but to the air flowing around it its still an F-15!

Duncan B 

actually the engines are not that fancy... for the EX it seems that it will be a GE derivative of the one used for many many years on the F-16, and since the F-15K (Korea) also on the F-15.  Of course they have been upgraded a bit since then ;)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

I never cared much for "Eagle" to begin with. And don't get me started on "Fighting Falcon."

Cheers,

Bill

so maybe you like the Eagle II then :D

will not turn into Tomcat II, that is for sure..... ;)

At least "Eagle" sounds a little better than B-2 "Spirit" or B-1 "Lancer". In the case of the USAF at least, naming aircraft seems to be a forgotten skill. In the past we had "Stratofortress", "Delta Dagger", "Starfighter", "Voodoo", "Thunderchief", and many others. At least the RAF scores points with "Typhoon" and "Tempest", although "Airseeker" results in a 5 point deduction :D  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Slater said:

In the case of the USAF at least, naming aircraft seems to be a forgotten skill.

We could always bring back the name Peashooter :P

/runs

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, exdraken said:

so maybe you like the Eagle II then :D

will not turn into Tomcat II, that is for sure..... ;)

I'm not a big fan of anything with a "II" after it. Reminds me of movie sequels. For me, Eagle is used for so many things here in the US that it loses its appeal and uniqueness. Fighting Falcon reminds me of trying to get an old junk Ford Falcon to start on a winter's day. I suspect that's why most crew members call it the Viper. It sounds more sinister.

The image a name conjures up is a big part of the overall impression you get about the aircraft. That's why Warthog is better than Thunderbolt II. These are just my opinions, of course, and mean nothing in the grand scheme of things. I'm sure some marketing focus group was paid big bucks to come up with Eagle II.     :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 2

I’m failing to understand why it’s not still called simply ‘Eagle’ because that’s what it is. Surely it should be an F-15F or G whatever Eagle?

• Like 2