Alfa 158 Alfetta - 1950

This is Renaissance Models 1/43 Alfa 158 Alfetta, painted to represent the car of Giuseppe Farina at the 1950 Italian GP:

a (6)

It's a nice little kit, with lots of photoetech:

001 (2)

Plus body in resin etc:

001 (5)

001 (3)

The engine cover is heavily louvred and Renaissance kindly include a former so that you can shape it into submission:

002 (1)

002 (1a)

And the grille is a PE delight/nightmare, depending on your mood and how much gets lost in the carpet:

Finished model:

a (3)

a (9)

b (2)

b (3)

b (8)

b (9)

b (15)

b (17)

Time for something a bit larger...

• Like 27

That is one very nice model you have built Chris. Especially in 1/43rd scale with that lovely paint job and the detailing.

The 158 is one of those old GP cars that can truly be described as  iconic in racing car design.

• Like 1

Lovely model, beautifully finished.

Renaissance kits are a bit too over-engineered for me but you have the requisite skills - well done.

Trevor

• Like 1

Another absolute jewel of a model, just gorgeous! 

No way on earth would I have the patience (or skill!) to put that grille together - if I built one it would have a tarp over the front to protect it while a 1/43 mechanic workrd on the engine!

Cracking job again!

Keith

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Michael Church said:

Great build! Your photos are the first high-resolution images I've seen of this kit, and I wonder if Renaissance has captured the car's look better than the Model Factory Hiro version?

OOh that's fightin' talk! I hadn't noticed, and I do loooooove MFH kits but I've noticed a few things like this recently: their 1/24 Jaguar XJR-12 seems to have a windscreen that's too curved in profile and the roof of their latest 1/12 McLaren F1 GTR looks too domed to me. So maybe. I'll still buy both, given the right subjects.

1 minute ago, Sabrejet said:

OOh that's fightin' talk! I hadn't noticed, and I do loooooove MFH kits but I've noticed a few things like this recently: their 1/24 Jaguar XJR-12 seems to have a windscreen that's too curved in profile and the roof of their latest 1/12 McLaren F1 GTR looks too domed to me. So maybe. I'll still buy both, given the right subjects.

Honestly, the reason I started building 1/43 kits is to work up the skill to handle their 1950s F1 cars, and I'm dying to get them one day. For the Alfa It may be as simple as the multiple panels and hidden fuel tanks in the MFH kit vs the uninterrupted sides of the Renaissance version. Could it be a tradeoff between overall impression and detail. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...