Wrens working on MTBs

Arjan

Thanks Arjan - I had not seen all of these previously.  It's amazing what you come across in the IWM collection when you browse

There's a BPB design in there with a rear turret - I'd have to look up to check eaxactly which number, that I'd never seen before - Interesting!

Rob

And the wheelhouse of an ASRLaunch (or it could be the wheelhouse of the BPB gunboat Rob mentioned if the WREN's are first pictured on the foredeck of the dark grey MTB )

Tom

Good evening gentlemen.  Indeed Rob,  I keep finding "new" pics in the IWM collection even when I thought I had pretty much seen them all by now (that is to say those I find interesting). The first Wren pics I came across last year was when I was looking for LCT pics. I was amazed by the type of jobs these women were doing :

POxsxC8.jpg

ZajSq4X.jpg

Often it's indeed not so much the Wrens themselves which are interesting, some very good shots of  Oerlikon guns here :

FcixUEY.jpg

F1QD26d.jpg

xcvu748.jpg

WVvZN0T.jpg

4TO3ML1.jpg

Nice pic :

JImnZys.jpg

Apparently these ladies also had some target practice :

RzVy5uT.jpg

Regards,

Arjan

• Like 5

20mm Oerlikon was my action station on Glamorgan and on Minerva.  the breech blocks had the Pussers arrow stamped on them and dated on Glamorgans Stbd twin mounting guns were dated 1943, apparently they were off an MTB and Minerva was dated 1942. in picture 2 the WRENS have the cocking wire attached, makes me think they are checking the mechanism.

3 hours ago, chuckb1 said:

20mm Oerlikon was my action station on Glamorgan and on Minerva.  the breech blocks had the Pussers arrow stamped on them and dated on Glamorgans Stbd twin mounting guns were dated 1943, apparently they were off an MTB and Minerva was dated 1942. in picture 2 the WRENS have the cocking wire attached, makes me think they are checking the mechanism.

That's interesting ! I know the gun had to be cocked before it could be fired but did this mean it had to be cocked again when an empty magazine was replaced ?

Regards,

Arjan

5 hours ago, Arjan said:

That's interesting ! I know the gun had to be cocked before it could be fired but did this mean it had to be cocked again when an empty magazine was replaced ?

Regards,

Arjan

No when the drum hit the last round into the breech the breech block would be left in the rear position. From memory when I closed up, Stbd 20mm on two ships was my off watch action station on Sirius Stbd GPMG and 20mm BMARC GAMBO1 on Chatham.

Strap in to the gun, ear duffs on nose bag on the anti flash up.

GDP "Stbd 20mm closed up cleared away bore clear no ammunition provided"

GDR/GDP " ALARM AIRCRAFT! AIRCRAFT BEARING (Range and Angle of Sight)  "With a Magazine of 20mm HE /HEIT LOAD LOAD LOAD! Safety Catch to safe, Loader would remove the breech cover, slap on the Magazine give it a good rock to make sure the latches had engaged, then Apply the wire,  I would depress the aft of the mounting barrel went up cocking the weapon. Chamber a round, safety catch still to safe.

GDP would call ranges and bearings If it was one of the EW aircraft from FRADU Yeovilton no ammunition provided just magazine and drill rounds for an ADEX

You would listen to AAWC from the opsroom calling the threat

Radio operators would pass to the force EN34-1A (air threat warning red) Flag Bravos close up if it was a live shoot.

ALARM AIR CRAFT (Angle of sight and bearing)

Captain Sir.. PWO

Captain

Permission to Engage sir?

Yes please 

Captain "Command Approved carry on with the practice"

GDP GDR

GDP

GDR GDP engage!

Stbd Battery Engage!

Off safety catch and commence to blat away at the Rushton Target or Drogue, or out the gulf a Bog hammer boat (RN/RM Slang) for a small craft full of raging Somali Pirate types.

Once the rounds were expended after your 3 to 5 round bursts depending how John Wayne you were feeling and not wearing a barrel out without getting caught 🙂

Drill was "ROUNDS OUT working parts to the rear, safety catch to safe loader would off magazine fresh magazine, GDP/GDR would call with a magazine of 20mm rounds LOAD! 

Working parts would be to the rear, once the magazine was fitted release the catch working parts forward then off safety catch and ready for the next shoot / serial

Amazing what you remember from 30 odd years ago, probably because you did it so many times

Insight into RN Gunnery drills from the 80s and 90s

Any gunnery ratings please correct me its been a long time and I was a communicator by trade. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 14/04/2021 at 12:40, chuckb1 said:

breech blocks had the Pussers arrow stamped on them

Amongst us "dry feet", this is more commonly an "MoD arrow", because it's applied to all sorts of MoD kit, not just that issued from naval quartermaster's stores.