Looking for info on kits of 1950’s types.

Hello everyone Im not normally an airliner builder. However out of curiosity while searching for something else I came across two types. The first is this, the airspeed ambassador. Anyone do one of these say in 1/144 or smaller ? 

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Airspeed_Ambassador_2_'G-ALZO'_(24379228403).jpg#mw-jump-to-license

and the second is the ATL-98. I know there is a resin ? Or poorly moulded plastic version. Ive asked before. I think it was 1/144 if memory serves. 

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Air-to-air_with_a_Falcon_Airways_Aviation_Traders_ATL-98_Carvair.jpg#mw-jump-to-license

Dennis

• Like 1

Welsh Models for the Ambassador. It's a hybrid vacform/resin kit in 1/144. 

Roden for the Carvair. Reasonable quality 1/144 injection moulded kit which can produce an excellent model as demonstrated by John Viking's superb BUA build.

There are several aftermarket decals available for the Carvair, mainly from Classic Airlines and TwoSix. I don't know of any decals for the Ambassador apart from what is in the Welsh Models kit.

If you are interested in 1950s propliners Minicraft's 1/144 DC-4 is an absolute gem and one of my favourite airliner kits.

Hope that helps

Dave G

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The 1950s airliner scene is actually quite well served by kit manufacturers these days, especially in 1/144.

In 1/144 - 

Minicraft has a nice range of American propliners (DC-4/DC-6/Super Constellation/Stratocruiser)

Roden has added a few vintage airliners to their listings (ATL98 Carvair/DC-7/DC-3/C-47)

F-RSIN does kits in both resin and plastic (Comet 1/Deux Ponts/Bristol Freighter - long and short nose/ 049/749 Constellation)

Welsh Models produces vacform kits but these days they tend to come with resin wings and engines. They have a very good range of older airliners

Eastern Express does a Super DC-3/C-117

Revell does a very nice 1/144 Super Constellation

Obviously, some of the above require a bit more work than a straightforward mainstream injection moulded kit. This applies particularly to F-RSIN and Welsh Models 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

The 1950s airliner scene is actually quite well served by kit manufacturers these days, especially in 1/144.

In 1/144 - 

Minicraft has a nice range of American propliners (DC-4/DC-6/Super Constellation/Stratocruiser)

Roden has added a few vintage airliners to their listings (ATL98 Carvair/DC-7/DC-3/C-47)

F-RSIN does kits in both resin and plastic (Comet 1/Deux Ponts/Bristol Freighter - long and short nose/ 049/749 Constellation)

Welsh Models produces vacform kits but these days they tend to come with resin wings and engines. They have a very good range of older airliners

Eastern Express does a Super DC-3/C-117

Revell does a very nice 1/144 Super Constellation

Obviously, some of the above require a bit more work than a straightforward mainstream injection moulded kit. This applies particularly to F-RSIN and Welsh Models 

Welsh Models are a good entry level kits for those who have not tackled resin or vac before.

Tommo.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...