P-38 J Lightning Revell 1:32

Hello,

This is old school kit from 1976, with raised panel lines. I like this classic kits as they were good engineered (not too complicated to have more fun and less work and some fit problems are mostly easy to fix). Airbrushed with Revell and Humrol enamels. Only wheels were changed and interior detais added.

Martin

IMG_20210103_153833

IMG_20210103_153538

IMG_20210103_153304

IMG_20210103_153237

• Like 37
  • Thanks 1

If I remember correctly, that kit had a lot of raised rivets. You've done a magnificent job building and finishing this model. You can be very proud of your work.

• Like 1

Just now, SAT69 said:

If I remember correctly, that kit had a lot of raised rivets. You've done a magnificent job building and finishing this model. You can be very proud of your work.

Thanks a lot, yes it had a lot if big raised rivets like on Titanic, some of them were sanded down but some raised rivets and details looks very good so I left them on the model as I am not good in rescribing.

• Like 1

You've done an excellent job there!

I especially love the multi-hued panel finishes - very realistic for a bare metal aircraft. :thumbsup:

I also agree with you about old-school kits; I have less reluctance to chop, fill and hack into the plastic when it isn't an up-to-date, super-finely moulded production.

• Like 1

This is wonderful nostalgia for me. I got this kit as an Easter gift in 1970 (51 years ago!), when it was first released. The box art killed me!

Your modell of this veteran is incredibly good - very well done!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Toryu said:

This is wonderful nostalgia for me. I got this kit as an Easter gift in 1970 (51 years ago!), when it was first released. The box art killed me!

Your modell of this veteran is incredibly good - very well done!

Thank you, for me was this build nostalgia too as I build rebox of this kit 30 years ago. Still good kit :) and I am suprised how were people able to produce such a kit without computers and special 3d software.

24 minutes ago, MartinSK said:

Thank you, for me was this build nostalgia too as I build rebox of this kit 30 years ago. Still good kit :) and I am surprised how were people able to produce such a kit without computers and special 3d software.

Martin, that's a very nice build of an older kit.  Lovely finish on her.  You make a very good point about how Revell were able to make very good models for their time with no or little computer assistance, hardly any internet references and so on.  I remember those kits coming out and wondering what would come next as they seemed quite special at the time.  It should put some modern manufacturers to shame really.

Anyway you have done a great job there and thats one to be proud of

Bravo

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Martin, that's a very nice build of an older kit.  Lovely finish on her.  You make a very good point about how Revell were able to make very good models for their time with no or little computer assistance, hardly any internet references and so on.  I remember those kits coming out and wondering what would come next as they seemed quite special at the time.  It should put some modern manufacturers to shame really.

Anyway you have done a great job there and thats one to be proud of

Bravo

Thanks a lot again, I have still some classic kits from this great 1:32 Revell era in my stash. For example in my opinion thier old tool Spitfire mkII or P-40 has excelkent surface and rivet details (maybe better than modern kits with holes instead rivets)

Lovely to see this old classic so beautifully built. What a superb job you have done! I have very fond memories of my dad building this one half a century ago. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RichieW said:

Lovely to see this old classic so beautifully built. What a superb job you have done! I have very fond memories of my dad building this one half a century ago. 

Thank you, yes it is hard to believe that this kits is over 50 years old. And still possible to build into nice model of P-38. This scheme is from first release in 1970 (Richard Ira Bong's "Marge")

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bigbadbadge said:

This looks wonderful, you have done a cracking job on the metal finish.

Chris

Thanks Chris the surface was polished with sandpaper 6000 under water and then with dry old cotton t-shirt.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Spitfire31 said:

Magnificent piece of modelling - she looks authentic.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thank you Joachim, that is what I was trying to achieve...authentic look.

Martin

8 minutes ago, Alan P said:

That's superb. Very convincing finish and beautifully built, not a seam in sight!

Alan

Thanks Alan, for all gaps was used only super glue ( for bigger gel version of the superglue with small pieces of plastic in the gap) it is hard to sand, but no cracks, extremely strong connection...for this big and quite heavy model was superglue as filler the best option.

Martin

Thats a superb result and a proof that old tool kits can be made look great.

👍👍👍

Also an inspiration because i have the "Droop Snoot" bomber kit in  my stash.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BerndM said:

Thats a superb result and a proof that old tool kits can be made look great.

👍👍👍

Also an inspiration because i have the "Droop Snoot" bomber kit in  my stash.

Thank you, yes give a go to your "Droop Snoot" (quite rare kit)

• Like 1