The arrival of 'General Winter'

Here's my finished scene depicting a Soviet counter attack around Mozhaisk in October after the first snows have fallen and so called General Winter comes to the aid Russian defenders, helped by the 1/48 KV-IE of course! 

I really enjoyed building this and plenty of new things tried. The shed and the fence was made from good old coffee stirrers, with the thatch being made from toy fur brushed through with pva. Ground work was done with airdrying clay which was then textured with dried soil mixed with pva.

First time making a tree and again pretty pleased with, well pleased enough to want to try it again on a future build! Wire twisted together and then covered in airdrying clay before a final bit of sculpting/texturing (meant to be a beech, so not too much texture). The fine branches were made from a piece of lichen which i carefully teased apart and glued onto the end of the wire branches. All painted and then scatted real leaves ground up in the coffee grinder fixed with hairspray. I'm not sure how this natural material will last over time before it starts to crumble and discolour. I guess I made it hard for myself trying to depict a tree in Oct, looking pretty bare. 

Everything with given a good spray of hairspray and then a dusting of bicarbonate soda for the first snow of winter- hence no winter snow suits on the figures yet! 

Figures from Tamiya's 1/48 infantry set which was another new experience. I've struggled to paint 1/35 figures in the past so 1/48 was pretty tortuous (I'm only happy with one of the faces) and will have to go back to the youtube tutorials for the next attempt! 

Anyway onto some pictures:

2a

3a

1a

Left you with my favourite picture from the bunch. Thanks for stopping by!

• Like 23

This is beautiful work. I live the idea of using the coffee stirrers for the fence and will be nicking that idea ...I mean taking inspiration from. Same with the thatch....that looks very realistic. The baking soda looks well to. I wants sure how baking soda works as snow but looks convincing as didnt over do it ...which is my biggest trouble...consider that er borrowed! Too 

2 minutes ago, Muchmirth said:

..consider that er borrowed! Too 

ha no worries, borrow away, just like I did! No original ideas here! Glad it served up some inspiration for you

Damn you’ve just reminded me that I’ve missed that, I’d painted a bit of wire for it already-need to go and find it now! Well spotted 

10 hours ago, Cadman said:

Nice, well presented diorama. 

I really like the restrained weathering on the KV1.

Thanks, I tried my best to hold

back but always hard with tanks! Especially a snowy, muddy one!

4 hours ago, Homer said:

Congratulations on a fine piece of modelling well done. 

Thanks Homer! Looking forward to the next build already- T-34 helping to secure a foothold over the Dnieper

3 hours ago, Model Mate said:

really nice job - this would easily pass for 1/35, so you've done great at the smaller scale. I'm a great fan of coffee stirrers too and get through loads of them!

thanks! First stab at 1/48, decided to convert from 1/35 after realising how much space I’d need to make dioramas for them all! Only thing is the lack of good 1/48 figures.