FROG Tupolev SB-2 Katyuska

Here’s the venerable (1969) FROG Tupolev SB-2. I was building this as a side project with the ICM SB-2, but somehow it ran ahead:

304805-D3-1326-40-A6-B8-D7-92-A391-F2-E9

20-DD5620-933-E-49-FA-A5-EA-F3-CB2-E3-F1

294-D9727-0-DA2-4052-87-D6-94389-FD00008

2-F353-EA9-0-EFB-4951-B22-A-DD271-B6-BC4

3-B80-A594-6440-4881-A44-C-589-CCB91-FBF

If ever I saw a kit obsoleted by a new release, this is it. It’s actually not too inaccurate, especially for a 1960s western kit of a Soviet WWII aeroplane, but it is clunky and crude in the extreme. I thinned down the fuselage in plan view, detailed the cockpits and wheel wells, sanded down all the flying and control surfaces to something nearer a realistic section, vac formed new canopies, and scribed flaps, bomb bay and major hatches. I suggested panel lines with a pencil after painting. WIP is here if you want to see the contrast between this and a modern kit!

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Adrian, very nice result indeed! Since i was observing your build I know how much of your scratching and invention is in this Frog nominally model....

Is it yours first from SCW, or you have some of them on shelves?

Regards

J-W

• Thanks 1

Lookin' good, Adrian!

I tried to build one of these, way back in the late 70's. It ended up being flung out my bedroom door and down the stairs. 

As a natural-born farm boy, I know a piece of :poop: when I see one, and my attempt at this kit was a fresh, warm one.

Your's, on the other hand, is most excellent!

Chris

• Haha 1

Thanks all for the kind comments!

12 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

I love the old Frog  kits

8 hours ago, dogsbody said:

As a natural-born farm boy

I am, as you can tell, a bit of a fan myself, although some I love more than others! Generally I approach them with trepidation that turns out to be unjustified, but some of them are undoubtedly stinkers, This one I remember buying at SMW 2018 and thinking "It's terrible, but it's FROG and it's under a tenner".

11 hours ago, JWM said:

first from SCW

It is indeed my first SCW model. The ICM one will be from the Nomonhan incident just before the GPW. So, examples from two pre-WWII conflicts.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

It is indeed my first SCW model.

This was also my case many years ago - I mean during my school days! Very good intro to build SCW subjects :)

52 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Nomonhan incident just before the GPW

BTW - in Nomohan incident  the R-6 were used, in WW2 almost (or at all) not., 

s-l300.jpg

http://img.wp.scn.ru/camms/ar/662/pics/1_1.jpg

So far unfortunately only vacu forme is available

https://www.scalemates.com/pl/kits/kajuk-15-tupolev-r-6-ant-7--1301461

And in this case I am not fan of vacu due to corrugated skin of it. So I am waiting for an injected kit - the Mars morels are working already on it:

gmgdnndokdv.jpeg

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

Adrian,

Lovely work! I missed the WIP, and your number painting technique would/could be very restorative for my recently stalled Swordfish build!

Cheers,

Roger 

• Thanks 1