1/72 Airfix BAC TSR.2 Canopy Colour.

David Hadland

I'm currently building the 1/72 Airfix TSR.2 (its the kit where you can build either the BAC TSR.2 or the anime TSR.2MS but I digress) in the instructions is says that the canopies should be painted with clear orange (Humbrol 1322) but from photo's I've seen they look Gold Coloured.  If anyone could give me an answer, it would very helpful.

If it is gold I can use some Satin Varnish with a few drops of Humbrol Gold paint.

Edited by David Hadland
Grammar is my friend

Many moons ago (1977) when I was undergoing trade training at RAF Halton, there were some TSR2 parts in the workshops, including a canopy.  The heating elements made them look gold.

Trevor

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I did mine I used a very thin coating of Tamiya Transparent Orange. It ended up with quite a nice golden appearance. It matches this quite well. I initially tried using food colouring mixed with Klear but it didn't go on evenly.

I'd not use the Humbrol clear orange.

Its not a normal enamel paint and can etch into the plastic*

If it goes on wrong you might have a ruined canopy

I'd use Revell acrylic clear orange

* I've used Humbrol clear red and orange to colour clear light light lenses for my Austin 7. The paint etched into the plastic lenses.

On 4/7/2021 at 8:43 AM, klubman01 said:

Many moons ago (1977) when I was undergoing trade training at RAF Halton, there were some TSR2 parts in the workshops, including a canopy.  The heating elements made them look gold.

Trevor

I remember that in 85. Bet it got binned....

24 minutes ago, JagRigger said:

I remember that in 85. Bet it got binned....

Yes, probably all disposed of when workshops closed at Halton.  Might have been transferred to Cosford?

Trevor

• Sad 1

Somebody does or did a gold canopy tint, I had some but can't remember the manufacturer. It worked really well. Last time I used it, I sprayed a chrome RR radiator grill to make it look gold plated, it worked perfectly.