KL147 'BH' 5 otu boundary bay 1945

brewerjerry

Hi All.

Future project B-25D turretless KL147  'BH'  of 5 otu,  boundary bay, BC Canada 

There are some nice photos of it on the net and I have the Iliad decals for it 

But I have not painted a natural metal finish before 

So any suggestions on the paint to use, or is there another method ? 

Cheers 

Jerry 

Edited by brewerjerry
Typo

Depends on how deep into the rabbit hole you want to go? :P

Options:

1) BMF - bare metal foil. There are special NM foils out there that can be cut & glued to the model. Others use PVA & kitchen foil (YMMV)

2) Enamel silver paint from the jar like we did in ye olde days - hmm... maybe not?

3) Spray can Tamiya silver. Some even decant it from the spray can and airbrush it. 
4) 'traditional' black gloss basecoat, followed by either Alclad metalizer or AK Extreme Metals

someone will come along with more/alternate options, I presume :)

• Like 1

Most of the final result depends on the preparation - metallic paint is very unforgiving and will show every blemish underneath. So plenty of cleaning and polishing of the plastic really pays dividends.

Having said that, being an acrylics guy, I use the Vallejo Metal Color range - which I can definitely recommend. And use a gloss black primer as they suggest - not quite sure why that is so effective but it really works.

Good luck

Mark

• Like 1

I second the above. It is a bit more fragile than other acrylics but if left to harden for 24 hours or more I had no problems masking it and having paint lift or bleed under. Its not up to Alclad or other non acrylic types but gives a very close second

• Like 1

19 hours ago, The wooksta V2.0 said:

I'd recommend a can of Halfords aluminium but I know you're not in the UK.

Hi.  

Halfords one place that I do miss from the UK 

Cheers 

Jerry 

4 hours ago, brewerjerry said:

Hi.  

Halfords one place that I do miss from the UK 

Cheers 

Jerry 

Recalling my visits to family in Canada, is Canadian Tire not a similar operation to Halfords? You might be able to get metallic spray cans there. 

• Like 1

A nice easy way to do it is to use Tamiya AS12 spray, straight out of the rattle can.  It takes masking quite easily it's quite robust so if you like you can mask off panels and do it in alclad or whatever your favourite metallic paints are

Edited by Doolie
  • Thanks 1