Another Submarine Restoration,....RAAF, DAP Beaufreighter!! ***FINISHED***

Just found another pic of this Beaufort IX/ Beaufreighter,...... this time with engines running and supply containers (also known as storepedoes?) on bomb racks under the wings;

beaufort-A9-712-Japanese-characters-1.jp

• Like 4

Cheers Chris,..... yes definitely some overspray going on under those wings! Those `storepedoes' were also dropped by Wirraway`s I believe,..... I`d love to fit some to this model,..... might just add the bomb racks though,.... from a Blenheim kit.

Another update,.... I got the decals on,.... I used the Print Scale roundels, serial and code but with High Planes Japanese writing. The white code `R' should be the stencil style,..... as seen on the Print Scale decal sheet photo,..... but this isn`t provided in the decals so I simply cut the code up,.... leaving the requisite gap,... easy! Sadly the fin flashes are not handed,.... with the same cut out section in each one,..... so I had to remove the section from the top and add it to the bottom area on one of them,.... not hard,.... but for decals which cost over £10 it shouldn`t be needed really. 

Anyway,.... here i the model;

DSCF0369-NEW.jpg

DSCF0371.jpg

I`ve roughed up the edges of the white painted areas using Foliage Green to try to simulate overspray.

And here is the model with my two Airfix Beauforts which I painted today;

DSCF0384-NEW.jpg

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 10

Nice recovery Tony and never realised the Aussies managed to turn the Beaufort into such an ugly shape 😂

They obviously didn’t fly over that Japanese soldier who didn’t surrender till 1974 !

Mike

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, tonyot said:

Cheers Chris,..... yes definitely some overspray going on under those wings! Those `storepedoes' were also dropped by Wirraway`s I believe,..... I`d love to fit some to this model,..... might just add the bomb racks though,.... from a Blenheim kit.

Another update,.... I got the decals on,.... I used the Print Scale roundels, serial and code but with High Planes Japanese writing. The white code `R' should be the stencil style,..... as seen on the Print Scale decal sheet photo,..... but this isn`t provided in the decals so I simply cut the code up,.... leaving the requisite gap,... easy! Sadly the fin flashes are not handed,.... with the same cut out section in each one,..... so I had to remove the section from the top and add it to the bottom area on one of them,.... not hard,.... but for decals which cost over £10 it shouldn`t be needed really. 

Anyway,.... here i the model;

DSCF0369-NEW.jpg

DSCF0371.jpg

I`ve roughed up the edges of the white painted areas using Foliage Green to try to simulate overspray.

And here is the model with my two Airfix Beauforts which I painted today;

DSCF0384-NEW.jpg

Cheers

Tony 

Great family shot Tony - all coming along nicely!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mick b said:

Nice recovery Tony and never realised the Aussies managed to turn the Beaufort into such an ugly shape 😂

They obviously didn’t fly over that Japanese soldier who didn’t surrender till 1974 !

Mike

Thanks Mike,.... yeah it does look strange but it served a purpose,...... and LOL,..... yeah obviously not! 

6 hours ago, Dunny said:

Great family shot Tony - all coming along nicely!

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger,...... yeah got a bit more done today,..... 

6 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looking great Tony, I do like tge freighter version and think it makes for an unusual model.  The other two Airfix ones look great too.  

Cracking work fella.

Chris

Thanks Chris,.... yeah I just didn`t want to bin the Beaufreighter,...... just hope it turns out OK!

• Like 2

Another update,...... a coat of matt varnish,.... some weathering and the undercarriage and propellers re attached again!

DSCF0407-NEW.jpg

DSCF0408-NEW.jpg

DSCF0406-NEW.jpg

Almost there now!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 9

Another great rescue job mate. Good that BM'ers came to help, especially Adrian with the translation. That's what I like about this hobby and this site especially. I don't think I 've ever done a restoration job in all the years I've been modelling! So kudos to you.

Also, I don't believe, I've ever seen a Beaufighter without the rear turret, what a strange. odd looking read fuselage contour.

Anyway mate, glad you have been able to rescue it.

Colin

• Like 1

3 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Another great rescue job mate. Good that BM'ers came to help, especially Adrian with the translation. That's what I like about this hobby and this site especially. I don't think I 've ever done a restoration job in all the years I've been modelling! So kudos to you.

Also, I don't believe, I've ever seen a Beaufighter without the rear turret, what a strange. odd looking read fuselage contour.

Anyway mate, glad you have been able to rescue it.

Colin

Thanks Colin,.... I totally agree about the modelling community,..... I try to help whenever I can and despite the odd pratt or egotist the majority of people are exactly the same,..... lots of BM`ers have come to my rescue over the years, both materially and with sorely needed info. 

I`ve not recued it yet mate,..... we`ll see what the canopy looks like when I remove the protective tape,..... it might be covered in dust from the inside or paint may have leeched under the tape!

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oooooo nearly complete and looking grand fella.  I gotta say the shape of it is great it's almost like a coupe or a Fastback  shape.  

Great job.

Chris

Thanks Chris,..... yeah I like the Beaufreighter shape,.... it reminds me of a Scimitar sports car!

• Like 2

Well I thought that I had finished this one today,..... but after viewing the pics I`ve noticed that the canopy frame lines are not the best ever,....... so I`ll try to tidy them up and sort them out! I know it looks a bit dirty and bashed about,.... but the real one was too!

DSCF0435-NEW.jpg

DSCF0437-NEW.jpg

DSCF0442-NEW.jpg

DSCF0445-NEW.jpg

DSCF0450-NEW.jpg

The real aircraft had a fuel dump pipe in Sky Blue from another aircraft,..... in case you were wondering!!

DSCF0459-NEW.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Michael louey said:

Looks great Tony! Must be quite a lot of work restoring planes - having the cleanup and then rebuild/repaint - hope the interior didn't get messed up in the damp.

Cheers

Michael

Thanks Michael,..... the interior wasn`t too bad in this case,...... I cleaned it up with a brush inside and used a can of high pressure air too. It is quite satisfying to restore a model that would otherwise have been binned,..... especially a rarer kit. 

28 minutes ago, Team Aer Lingus said:

Another outstanding job Tony a very interesting aircraft in it's own right & a brilliant restoration very well done

thanks for sharing 

Eamonn

Thanks Eamonn,..... to be fair I should really have used a spare canopy,..... I was just being lazy! There were some silver ones,.... I bet they look interesting in model form!

• Like 3

Hiya Folks,...... right I`m calling this one done,... wobbly radio mast and all I knocked it photographing the undersides,...again!)! Thanks ever so much for your encouragement along the way;

DSCF0470-NEW.jpg

DSCF0472-NEW.jpg

DSCF0473-NEW.jpg

DSCF0474-NEW.jpg

DSCF0476-NEW.jpg

DSCF0477-NEW.jpg

DSCF0484-NEW.jpg

Cheers

Tony

• Like 13

• tonyot changed the title to Another Submarine Restoration,....RAAF, DAP Beaufreighter!! ***FINISHED***

Love it Tony - a most unusual subject and a beautifully weathered result!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger. Cheers for the encouragement along the way mate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dunny said:

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks mate,.... glad you like it. 

Hi Tony,

Just caught up with this thread (although I saw the pic over on the Airfix Beaufort build, of course) - an epic restoration, I'd say!

The back story is fascinating, and adds a complete extra dimension to a great model of a very interesting prototype.

Incidentally

14 hours ago, tonyot said:

fuel dump pipe

Thank you!

I built several Airfix Blenheims as a youngster, as dutifully stuck on those "weird banana things" without having the slightest clue as to what they were!!! :D

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looks fantastic Tony, I love the scheme, finish and weathering. Great work and another one saved.

Chris

Thanks Chris,..... yep glad I used the Beaufighter as a dry run first though!! Still working up to that Aeroclub Varsity,.... but that won`t be overall green LOL!

2 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

Fine restoration on the Beaufreighter Tony! Looks fantastic!

Thank you very much,.... glad you like it.

2 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hi Tony,

Just caught up with this thread (although I saw the pic over on the Airfix Beaufort build, of course) - an epic restoration, I'd say!

The back story is fascinating, and adds a complete extra dimension to a great model of a very interesting prototype.

Incidentally

Thank you!

I built several Airfix Blenheims as a youngster, as dutifully stuck on those "weird banana things" without having the slightest clue as to what they were!!! :D

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks very much Mark,.... glad you found it interesting and glad to have been of use too,..... I`m always finding out things like that too!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Thanks Chris,..... yep glad I used the Beaufighter as a dry run first though!! Still working up to that Aeroclub Varsity,.... but that won`t be overall green LOL!

It is great to see these restorations,  on your way to the Varsity , what is next for the restoration treatment?

Chris

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

It is great to see these restorations,  on your way to the Varsity , what is next for the restoration treatment?

Chris

Dunno yet mate,..... I`ve got quite a few to go at yet. 

• Like 1