Which kit would give these front wheel arches for a military Mercedes Benz 320 ?

Merlin

Hi,

I am planning on modelling the Mercedes Benz 320 WK in 1/35

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/germany/wehrmacht_trucks/mercedes-benz/kubelwagen-320-wk-bergen-norway-1940/

I am using the 1/35 Masterbox Sd. Kfz 1 but the front mudguards wheel arches are not suitable. What kit is there that would give me the wheel arches and note the front shape ?

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/master-box-mb3530-sdkfz1-type-170-vk--165378

Cheers

Merlin

Don't know if it would be an exact fit, or if the wheel well size match, but the Adler Kfz.13 look  near the shape.  You'd have to trim the front to get the more open shape.:

133028-10244-pristine.jpg

Wheels - maybe  the rear wheels on the Steyr has a similar style of the Mercedes Benz 320??

regards,

Jack

Hi,

That looks promising, many thanks. A good basis and as you say a bit of fettling to flare them a bit more.

I wonder if the rear arches might be of use.

I had forgotten about the rear arches, the kit I have just bought, and oh boy they are extinct ! (got the one with passengers as its the same) are too shallow, but taking them outwards means altering the wheelbase, broader, so impacting on the front, starting to worry now ! Should I be narrowing the body , hells bells .

I need to get some basic dims of the 320 to work to. Dont know where though. There is someone restoring one and another seen at an event so more digging about.

I see the ICM 1/35 le.gl.Einheits-Pkw Kfz.1 WWII German Light Personnel Car # 35581 also has similar rear arches.

Which Steyr were you thinking of for the rear arches ? googled Steyr and see a variety.

I am very new to german vehicles .

Cheers

Merlin.

I think the rear arches from the Kfz.13 look very similar, so as a donar kit, use both front and back?

The Steyr Type 1500A would be only for the tire/wheels:

Kubelwagen_320_WK_Bergen__Norway_1940.jp

Not sure if one aftermarket set is enough, depends if the ones in front that are concave just need to be flipped around to match the rear?  Center hubs and number of nuts also a bit different than required, and the tires themselves might be a bit larger than the required size of 6.50-20

229974-12290-32-pristine.jpg

regards,

Jack

Hi Jack,

that tyre set looks good, I wouldnt have spotted that, very grateful for your help, this is all starting to come together, forums, what did we do before forums !

I need to look into a photo host as photobucket has gone from us unless we pay. What do you use ?

I also see that the Kfz1 I have on the way has not got the curving bodywork extent of the 320 between windscreen and bonnet gap, whilst this kit has that. :-

https://web.ipmsusa3.org/content/mittlerer-einheits-personenkraftwagen-mepkw-k-fz-12-early-version

see image 8 of 12 in the scrolly thing.

In fact the more I look at thus one, maybe it should be the main kit and use parts from the KfZ1 !

and the Adler Kfz13 for the front arches. However the Adler Kfz13 front arches dont descend vertically as much as the 320.

Also apart from the tyre between the two doors this Kfz12 kit has the wider rear wheel arch and the half moon footrests below the doors.

Its almost as if,.....if I remove the tyre and shorten the wheelbase at that point, I then get the 320 ! Front rad would need the Kfz1 thats on its way.

I will bear that suggestion in mind for the wheels.

So its three kits it seems now , unless is there a kit giving that windscreen to bonnet area AND the front and rear wheel arches.

I am not quite there on the front arches though unless some heat and bending would sort out that aft curve.

Cheers

Merlin.

Edited by Merlin

I use Imgur for free picture hosting, but if wanting to link an image already on the net, just right click and 'copy image location' and paste into here.

Actually don't see a better curve on the Kfz.12 hood, but more corrective surgery - remove slats on top, and angle the grille at the front.  I'd stick with the Mercedes 170 for the main body, as it more likely has the nuances of a Mercedes-Benz product.  It is civilian built and procured by the military, while the Kfz.12 was specially designed and built for the Wehrmacht.

Hera are some screenshots to compare dimensions if you desire to start sawing the body apart;

https://mercedes-benz-publicarchive.com/marsClassic/en/instance/ko/320-WK.xhtml?oid=4311

70aT4qC.png

1P1iBha.png

Checking the dimensions of the early Kfz.12 on wiki, it's actually shorter than the 170 and 320, but taller than both:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einheits-PKW_der_Wehrmacht

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG

Hi,

spacer.png

is the Mercedes 170 you say to follow.

See the area just fwd of windscreen, then look at the 320 in your post above, its two shovel heads wide and doesnt taper so much, the Bronco Kfz 12 provides that wider area,.

6060_35209!02.jpg

I have now coming, after yet again finding they are almost extinct, I found the only Bronco Adler Kfz 13 in the UK.

and the Bronco Kfz 12 early version, several GBP cheaper than the one towing a gun, and again mega rare.,

I reckon I will be using that Kfz12 as the basis now, the Kfz 1 will supply the front rad along with the doors area, keeping the footplates from the Kfz12. and the rear shelf beyond the rear, we shall have to see once I get a good feeling for whats there and what I have.

Pity there are no kits as such of the 170.

Now top try and get the wheel set.

Merlin

Hi, the vehicle this is all about has fascinated me for years.

Messerschmitt-Bf-109E4-9.JG26-Yellow-1-G

Amazed there was never a model of such types over decades, these 'military cars' seem to be overlooked, loads of Kubels, etc.

I had bought a Skoda type 952 kubelwagen by Attack Hobby Kits as it seemed to be that vehicle but was told drop the idea its not it, its the 320, however what do you think, it has a lot in common I think. front and rear arches, side of vehicle not far off, needs the longer area between bonnet and windscreen. Has the twin spare tyres

pod_103_1.JPG

pod_103_2.JPG

rear shelf needs creating, shortening the body there, not bad though is it, just the front rad is different and perhaps interior steering wheel dashboard etc. At the time I thought not a bad start. The kit was 1/72 that I bought and I see this one is 1/35 and 101 euros, ouch ! I could still use it with some surgery.

Just where can I get those wheels from you showed me without breaking the bank, ?

Merlin

Edited by Merlin
spelling

That Skoda does look very similar, but these were Czech built, though heavily influenced by the Mercedes-Benz.   There's some corrections you mentioned that I would not have realized, but one to add to the list is the distance between the front and back door.  Note at the top the area between them comes to a point - can easily see this in one of the photos posted with the doors removed.   The Skoda seems to have them set apart more like the 170 VK.

Comparing some basic measurements provided by wiki, the Skoda is 245mm longer, 50mm less in width, and only 5mm less in height. 

Not sure which scale you are working in, but for wheels in 1/72 a complete kit of the Steyr might be the only option.  

Again, though they look similar design, I've no dimensions to compare with, these from Panzer Art show a measurement of 7.5-20, so they are an inch wider than the required 6.5-20?

spacer.png

On the other hand, if the large width is ok at 1/35 scale (0.725mm), then certain Opel Blitz wheels might work, thought they have to be the six hole style, but difficult to find a decent match tread pattern.    Royal Model product no. 599:

opel-blitz-wheels-135.jpg

Nevertheless, they all need correction on the hubs and number of nuts.

regards,

Jack

Hi,

The scale of the three kits arriving in  post, 2 come , one has become we dont have it (yet they show stock) and are getting it in from the Ukraine. is 1/35

That wheel hub, I have a feeling I might have to try for designing it and getting it 3D printed, an avenue I am exploring even to getting a printer (where layering lines dont show) for a host of things I need and could also sell.

That way I can get a perfect match to tread, the holes, the central boss and nuts etc, and size and impart a bulge !

Interesting to see (and thanks) the contenders but as you say none are same but similar.

The door area and that point is something I clearly need to establish, I can see myself working out the 'surgery' in CAD having set up the wheel base and basic dimensions and set each model to it.

Cheers

Merlin