SAAF Spitfire Vc - Wrap around colour on wing leading edge

Olmec Head

16 hours ago, Hardcastle said:

He suggested not to look too far off the norm

[...]

He said it is unlikely to be any color than yellow leading edges and a dark red around the guns, similar to other Spitfires. 

Except for the part where the leading edges are off norm, being full span instead of what was used on the DFS identification markings (which were intended for ETO). 

• Like 1

Also the aircraft are not painted in DFS, nor carry any other of the Fighter Command markings such as Sky bands or Sky spinners, and the yellow leading edges were not usually carried on aircraft in this theatre.  So they could be just a continued version of the yellow outboard markings, but without the other instructions this would be even odder than the suggested alternatives.  I entirely agree that if in doubt look to the standards in preference to something odd, but these markings are not standard.

• Like 2

On the second page of this topic https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235032793-spitfire-vc-codes-serials/ there are some pictures of a crashed 2 SAAF Spitfire that looks to have been repainted in day fighter scheme. The photo quality is not as good but the first one looks like it still has a leading edge strip.  I think from the ORB that the desert colour photos were from immediately after the return from Malta for the fitting of the cannon so I wonder if they were mid repainting when the photographer arrived.

19 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

If Spitfires were always consistent in their painting of this.  Which they were not.

Not always but almost always...

If they were in DFS, they would all have their colours transposed, which seems unlikely.

Edited by Super Aereo

On 06/04/2021 at 22:05, tonyot said:

Just matching up the known colours,...... red spinner= theatre marking,...... red tail tips= squadron marking,...... and the cannon covers are a very close tonal match,......., and I never said that they were definitely red,......  I did say "but that is just my opinion,.... I have no proof. ",..... but hey!

The third Spitfire looks to be an ex Malta aircraft,..... and it too has the light coloured leading edges.

Cheers

Tony

Tony, red is a good probable alternative as you detail above, but I was thinking more of possible responses of Britmodeller 'paint - police' to such boldness. 

That said the cannon covers do appear significantly darker than the adjacent DE so perhaps they are not a just newer darker shade of DE on replacement covers.  So red could be an option, or some FAA colour or a 'Malta Blue' if repainted or refitted on Malta.  Interestingly, a 1/48 build on the web had DG covers.  It is spiralling!  So DE to be safe, but Red, Blue or Green as alternatives or FAA DSG or EDSG.  - !!

• Haha 1

On 08/04/2021 at 06:40, Hardcastle said:

Hi all

Found some pics and a potentially useful book - maybe helpful? @Olmec Head: PM me and I will share - cannot seem to post pictures into the text-post and I do not have Flickr or similar.

Tim

Thanks Tim, I will try to work out how to PM you.

Spitfire_Mk_VC_DB-R_of_No_2_Squadron_SAA

Am I mistaken if I say the fuselage underside is different than the underside of the nose and wings?? Looks darker if you compare them to the Sides. And the R is on a darker, 'newer' DE colour.

On 12/04/2021 at 09:27, Stefaan said:

Am I mistaken if I say the fuselage underside is different than the underside of the nose and wings?? Looks darker if you compare them to the Sides. And the R is on a darker, 'newer' DE colour.

Thanks Stefan, having looked at the picture, the respray underneath the 'R' adds another aspect to the aircraft.  It would seem that the respray should be Dark Earth as it follows the line of the camouflage pattern.  But it's a bit strange that the DE is significantly lighter, it should be the near enough the same or darker as newer paint.  Equally, it doesn't seem to be mid stone as again it doesn't seem to be the right hue.  

• 10 months later...
On 4/13/2021 at 8:29 PM, Olmec Head said:

Thanks Stefan, having looked at the picture, the respray underneath the 'R' adds another aspect to the aircraft.  It would seem that the respray should be Dark Earth as it follows the line of the camouflage pattern.  But it's a bit strange that the DE is significantly lighter, it should be the near enough the same or darker as newer paint.  Equally, it doesn't seem to be mid stone as again it doesn't seem to be the right hue.  

Hi. 

Lewis and Berger who supplied the SAAF had no idea what colour Midstone was till end 1942. Worked off the memory of an Officer who was up North. Looks like their version was Light earth as it is on their inventory. That lighter brown would most likely be Light Earth. If any touch ups were done it would have been different than issued colours directly from the UK. (hard at work on a book on SAAF colours. No guesses, working off issued orders and paint orders)

• Like 2

Hi Derek.

Correct, they were supplied with eqquipment by the RAF logistic system, but our paints came from South Africa, and South African Lewis & Berger also supplied some of the RAF aircraft.

Also supplied East Africa and even the Indian Campaign according to the gen I have from Lewis & Berger.

I posted that document years ago somewhere here on the Forum, think under insignia red or blue topics.

Stefaan

• Like 1

Am I mistaken if I say the fuselage underside is different than the underside of the nose and wings?? Looks darker if you compare them to the Sides.

may just be dirt or oil.  Merlins are noted for leaking a lot, which then blows back down the centreline.

3518016657_99cbc03bf9_b.jpgSpitfire Mk.Vc by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

And the R is on a darker, 'newer' DE colour.

Do you mean lighter newer  colour

is the serial of JK??? known?  Code is DB-R ? 

On 13/04/2021 at 19:29, Olmec Head said:

the respray underneath the 'R' adds another aspect to the aircraft.

on the larger image (click it  it will enlarge) you can just see the same paint under the sq code as well.  This maybe just fresh Middlestone

Note the fresh Middlestone behind this N on this

14780326836_be4424d2a4_b.jpgRCAF Spitfire V,  1943. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

as for the leading edge wrap colour

2527331399_92e2a7697a_b.jpgSpitfire Vb...............SAAF by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

15074951115_dbd4361253_b.jpgRCAF Spitfire V     1943. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

4674411354_2790711cd1_b.jpgSpitfire boneyard. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

maybe touch up due to paint wear,  or yellow....

On 09/03/2022 at 11:47, Stefaan said:

hard at work on a book on SAAF colours. No guesses, working off issued orders and paint orders)

this sounds promising....

• Like 2