IDF M51 Dagem Gimmel.

I finished this a few weeks ago, but never got around to posting it on here. For those unfamiliar with Israeli tanks, this version of the M51 was a conversion, based on the M4A3 (76mm) Sherman. If you’re interested, the build can be found here;

11baf37e-dba1-4af6-8008-52d01a904ac7.JPG

3e6eef7a-388a-4fde-ba5b-52c580e13169.JPG

71eb12b7-91ff-4a20-a34e-0096cf221964.JPG

e701adc1-7018-467b-a3a3-70ef620249d4.JPG

31a6d2bb-d8ba-46de-b3f7-f2c989e15abb.JPG

c0219258-d960-4f04-a67c-6f77c81428e4.JPG

948dfa53-4d8f-4de4-b7fa-949a5db5a96a.JPG

71c9db17-4f6f-4f96-a499-3bb79b79850a.JPG

b44d060e-2dad-49c3-9980-5645914553be.JPG

068627f8-fbbc-48ed-95fa-0d25bc48caf7.JPG

And finally, because a little while ago someone said that I should post some photos of all of my M51s, here they are. They are from left to right;

Dagem Beth (Second Batch, or Type B).

Dagem Gimmel (Third Batch, or Type C).

Dagem Daleth (Fourth Batch, or Type D)).

b91eaac8-282e-4e0a-8f01-276ac1f8325b.JPG

54551daf-859b-43cb-8df1-3232b078fe7f.JPG

ebc9be51-cd54-4ed6-aa81-6039e9463a1c.JPG

37e9f0e8-7b28-43bd-9f42-99b1237f1a11.JPG

1cf84d32-938d-4e9c-adf4-9d095191dad1.JPG

By my reckoning, I’ve got two more to build. Dagem Alef (First batch, or Type A), and a Dagem Gimmel based on a cast hull.

Thanks for looking and any comments.

John.

• Like 42

Hi John,

It is an excellent representation of the model, as always very well detailed on your part, with all the small points that the kit does not have.
Very nice the expo with the three vehicles, these Israelite Shermans, have a very interesting aspect, of how such an old model can become something much more deadly and "useful" in a "modern" battlefield.

Chees and TC
Francis.👍

• Thanks 1

Like i need to say this John but as always your take on Israeli armour is inspiring....... and the group photo is a great shot of the different variants ......stunning work all round, makes me want to bust out the Israeli paint set and crack on with one of these old beasts meself :goodjob:

• Thanks 1

An amazing collection you've got there John, from a distance as well as the closeups. I've said it before but those little chains look amazing, it's these things that add up. Very well done and following the process was a tutorial.

Cheers,

Ernst.

• Thanks 1

Good evening John. I hope you are keeping well. As I might have expected, your efforts have resulted in a truly superb Gimmel. As always, your attention to the details and overall finish are absolutely stunning. And a great collection too. Very well done. :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix  

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi John,

It is an excellent representation of the model, as always very well detailed on your part, with all the small points that the kit does not have.
Very nice the expo with the three vehicles, these Israelite Shermans, have a very interesting aspect, of how such an old model can become something much more deadly and "useful" in a "modern" battlefield.

Chees and TC
Francis.👍

Thanks Francis. Yes, there weren't many tanks that were still in service, 50 years after first being built.

John.

20 hours ago, Stef N. said:

The collection looks brilliant John. Really great modelling.👏👍

Many thanks Stef.

John.

20 hours ago, fatfingers said:

Aye up John,

Enjoyed following the WIP and the end result is great. Looks grand with the others 👍

Regards,

Steve

Aye up Steve. Thanks for your comments, and I'm glad that you like it.

John.

20 hours ago, Farmerboy said:

Well John, you have now really convinced me that my next foray into armour will be a Sherman, inspirational stuff, they all look fantastic!

Many thanks, and I'm glad that you've been converted. But be aware. It's addictive.

John.

17 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Like i need to say this John but as always your take on Israeli armour is inspiring....... and the group photo is a great shot of the different variants ......stunning work all round, makes me want to bust out the Israeli paint set and crack on with one of these old beasts meself :goodjob:

Thanks Steve. Yes, go on. You know that you want to.

John.

17 hours ago, Ernst said:

An amazing collection you've got there John, from a distance as well as the closeups. I've said it before but those little chains look amazing, it's these things that add up. Very well done and following the process was a tutorial.

Cheers,

Ernst.

I appreciate your comments Ernst. Actually, the chains are just a tiny bit overscale, but it's all I had at the time.

John.

14 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Good evening John. I hope you are keeping well. As I might have expected, your efforts have resulted in a truly superb Gimmel. As always, your attention to the details and overall finish are absolutely stunning. And a great collection too. Very well done. :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix  

'Morning Stix. Thanks for asking, yes I'm well, as I hope you and the good lady Stix are too. Thank you for your comments.

John.

13 hours ago, Carius said:

Another fantastic job my friend

Cheers :cheers:

Many thanks Cesar, as always.

John.

12 hours ago, Nenad Ilijic said:

Superb model John. Details are really impressive!

Cheers,

Nenad

Thanks for the comments Nenad.

John.

• Like 2

On 06/04/2021 at 09:36, Dads203 said:

Once again John I would say that you nailed it mate :thumbsup:

some lovely little touches that really stand out and really add to the finished Build. 

On 06/04/2021 at 10:49, Phil1960 said:

Great John,  standing ovation!

Ciao

F

13 hours ago, vytautas said:

Completely agree with the others,  I can only echo previous comments - with so many details and great painting, the tank looks better than real. Top job, John!

Vytautas

11 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Same here, agree with all the others, a top job.

Matt

Dan, Filipo, Vytautus and Matt, thank you all very much for your kind comments. They are much appreciated.

John.

• Like 1

Really beautiful work here John, lots of little details to look at and enjoy, I've looked at this a few times and then gone back for another look and still finding something different to look at. That to me makes it a really excellent build , well done...👍

Ed

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi John, I just found this thread on your M51 Sherman's after doing a lot of research to do exactly what you are doing building one of each type of IDF M51, please do not think I am trying to put a downer on your work its just the research I have done shows five engine deck and lower hull rear variations, two stowage variation, two muzzle brake types and one secondary armament change and I hope this will let you build more IDF M51 Sherman's

1. The original M51 with the R-975 radial engine, the engine deck as per the M1 Sherman, lower hull rear as per the M1 Sherman, muzzle brake early type without the reinforcing, no secondary generator, stowage as per the Tamiya M51 less the jerry cans and spare wheels on the side, only one jerry can on the rear left and field telephone on the right as per the M51 build instructions, I have looked at the kits and this can be done by kit bashing the Tamiya M51 and M1 Sherman kits

2. The first M51 (Type one) with the  Cummins VT-8-460 V8 turbocharged diesel engine, this is basically the Tamiya M51 OOB, this would give your the M4A1 hull based variant or take the Tamiya M4A3E8 kit, take everything from the M51 kit and fit onto the M4A3E8 plus scratch build two additional stowage bins and move the track stowage to the turret sides, as the M4A3 hulls according to all of the available photographic evidence always had this stowage configuration

3. The next variation (Type Two), the middle section of the engine deck is now equipped with three louvers. The the lower hull configuration is the same as the one seen on Type One vehicles. Again this is the Tamiya M51 with an altered engine deck or the M4A3E8 combined with the M51 with the alterations as per the Type One

4. The next one (Type Three), the lower part of the engine deck is similar to Type Two vehicles in that it still has the 3 louvers. However, the exhaust pipe of the two first batches is now gone, and plated over. The exhaust is now placed on the top of the engine deck, in front of the gun cradle. For this you can use the Tamiya M51 combined with the Legend M51 1973 conversion set or if you want a M4A3 based one add the Tamiya M4A3E8 to the list

5. Finally (Type Four), the lower part of the engine deck is as on Type Three, as is the exhaust. The upper rear hull has been cut off, and repositioned with a spacer, so the angle of the rear hull is less steep when compared to the original hull. I would think this change, was probably done to help increase the airflow in the engine, to help with the cooling, I think the Dragon M51 Sherman would be the best kit to use for the one as the rear plate of the hull is a separate item and if the angle is wrong I think it would be easier to fix than trying to cut the Tamiya one off. 

Other minor changes of the Type Four

The .50 cal removed
A .30 cal on a scissors mount fitted on the commanders cupola in place of the removed .50 cal
A large bin on the upper rear hull.
A 60mm mortar located between the commanders and loaders hatch.
Infrared periscopes on drivers, co-drivers and commanders hatches.
Infrared projector on hull front.

These changes are not exclusively applied to the Type Four, some features mentioned above will also appear on vehicles of the other earlier Types.

So what is it they say about IDF Sherman's never say it did not happen or was not fitted as you will guarantee someone will have a photos to show it did happen or was fitted 

There are some great 1/35 drawings in books Lioness & Lion of the line volumes 2,3 and 10 of the M51 along with photos also the book  Israeli Sherman's by Tom Gannon is a must

53 minutes ago, Mike Mcellaney said:

Hi John, I just found this thread on your M51 Sherman's after doing a lot of research to do exactly what you are doing building one of each type of IDF M51, please do not think I am trying to put a downer on your work its just the research I have done shows five engine deck and lower hull rear variations, two stowage variation, two muzzle brake types and one secondary armament change and I hope this will let you build more IDF M51 Sherman's

Hi Mike,

Don't worry, I didn't think that you were trying to put a downer on my work. I'll probably keep my builds to the  five main types, plus a Chilean M51, as my build rate is very slow (I'm lucky if I can turn out 3 or 4 a year), and at my age, I can't hope to be too ambitious. But thanks for the info. I have all of the Sabingamartin books on the M51 and M50, plus the Tom Gannon book. Sabingamartin do decals for most of the M51s and I have the Star Decals sheet for the Chilean M51, so all I have to do is pick up some more Tamiya M51 kits. When I've finished those, I hope to move onto the M50. I built an early one a few years ago, and I have the Dragon kit waiting to be butchered, so I'll just have to see how it goes.

John.

I have to apologise John missed this so much going on around here but I have to say those three are stunning builds learn so much from your builds on these machines it is like having live reference watching your BLOG.:clap:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, beefy66 said:

I have to apologise John missed this so much going on around here but I have to say those three are stunning builds learn so much from your builds on these machines it is like having live reference watching your BLOG.:clap:

Stay Safe

beefy

No apology needed Beefy, and thanks for the kind remarks. I always find building these tanks enjoyable, so it probably won't be long before I start on No.4.

John.

6 minutes ago, fittedkitchens said:

Excellent work on these. The M51 variant makes the Sherman just look so brutal and powerful. Must get one!

true, amazing vehicle. Astonishing how the US always eventually refuted the idea of a more powerful gun in the Sherman turrets during ww2.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fittedkitchens said:

Excellent work on these. The M51 variant makes the Sherman just look so brutal and powerful. Must get one!

Thanks for the comments. If you do go for an M51, get the Tamiya kit. It's miles better than the Dragon and Academy versions.

John.