1/35 Kirovets K-700A tractor

Time to show sign of life on the big Russian, it's been almost a month... Well, that happens if you start two other builds doesn't it. Those are in the "ready for paint" stage so I'm returning to this build for a bit. It's kind of slow going. Right now I'm fiddling with the different drive shafts (four of them) to get them to fit in their respective positions. It's not an OOB fit, but I suppose that's normal for kits like this. I have glued on the axles so some kind of progress has been made. 

The advantage of this was that I could dry fit the wheels which is motivational, at least I can see where this build is going (or is supposed to go anyway). I just noticed that front right and rear left should change places by the way.

20210511212541-4d14f402-me.jpg

20210511212540-b675e46d-me.jpg

The engine is still dry fitted as well, as is the rear part of the tractor. It should be possible to have front and rear parts at an angle like this, the connecting rods are flexible in terms of length. As with all my other builds, I'm wondering when to stop assembling and when to start painting. I think I'll put on the mud guards on the chassis before paint, as these will probably need a bit of encouragement, one of them at least is pretty deformed. I will leave front and rear chassis parts separate as well for the time being. 

• Like 7

On 16/04/2021 at 21:06, JeroenS said:

I don't like to take my (WIP) shots on a dirty cutting mat

I’m afraid there we will have to agree to differ!:) I even bought a nice new clean cutting mat a couple of years ago but haven’t thrown the old one out yet!

Nice work on the engine and chassis. The added detail makes it so much more realistic.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a while again, I don't get to spend a lot of modelling time at the moment. Having 4 builds on the go doesn't help either 🙂 

Anyway, I set up my new Benchvent yesterday and did my first spraying session tonight. I primed the two smaller tractors as well as a couple of parts of the Kirovets. 

It's not much but it's something. 

20210527205759-8614418e-me.jpg

• Like 6

OK, I've been procrastinating on this one. It's not immediately obvious how and where some parts need to be fitted and I've been overthinking how to proceed. Suddenly, other builds seem much more interesting :think:... However, I just need to bite the bullet and get on with it. And hope I don't do anything too stupid. 

Last weekend (I think it was) when I had the red brown paint out for another build I sprayed the Kirovets's chassis parts. At least there's some colour on those parts so I'll be able to make something of it later. I'll be attaching some unpainted parts to the chassis so some of the chassis will get a respray but that's fine. It means paint can reach those parts so eventually it will turn out ok. Probably. I'm not looking too far ahead, if I start doing that again nothing gets done. 

So. Front mudguards it is. I've scraped paint off the chassis where glue should go. 

20210604202512-f0074fba-me.jpg

It's not very obvious in the picture above, but down here you'll be able to see that the one on the left is not in good shape. 

20210604202512-5d791532-me.jpg

With my "just do it" mindset back I managed to glue them both to the chassis and the left one didn't come out too bad. You can see both mudguards are a little wavy though, I think they need some reinforcement from below. Also, some damage on the left one needs repairing. I'll wait till everything is set properly. 

20210604202513-8cf70788-me.jpg

It's not too bad and I only lost a little bit of skin to the glue... 

The cab floor goes in between so things should straighten out. 

20210604202511-a2c30d8d-me.jpg

• Like 6

I spent the evening fussing and fiddling on the bonnet, figuring out where to glue what. And ended up glueing exactly two parts together. 

20210605215536-37880c41-me.jpg

Wow!

Anyway, from the looks of it, it appears this is the correct position of these parts. 

20210605215536-a57a45d9-me.jpg

Fit is not 100% because that left mudguard is leaning inwards, I'm probably going to need some kind of spacer. 

It's more obvious in this picture. 

20210605215535-d9f7640c-me.jpg

I will need to push it to the right. The cab supports are not sufficient for this, as it is now these fit in between the two mudguards with some room to spare. 

It has happened a couple of times now that I removed resin off parts where I found out later I shouldn't have. 

20210605220517-e9687697-me.jpg

The gap shown in the red circle should have been covered by a ridge that was originally on top of the mudguard. But because these ridges were uneven and didn't look the same on both mudguards I thought these were casting leftovers and removed them. Also, the instructions do not show these ridges. I will need some white plastic to close the gaps (which is smaller on the other side because of the incorrect angle of the mudguard on this side). 

• Like 9

43 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

Also, the instructions do now show these ridges

Increasingly I think there would be a lot of entries in a 'The Instructions won't help GB'!

As for the left mudguard- I'll wager there's an original in a field somewhere with that exact dink in it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

Increasingly I think there would be a lot of entries in a 'The Instructions won't help GB'!

😄... That's a good one! Many entries but probably not very many completions

8 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

As for the left mudguard- I'll wager there's an original in a field somewhere with that exact dink in it.

You're right, I think I'll leave them dinked.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey all, life got in the way big time for the past month, just like I knew it would. Been doing a lot of work in and (mainly) around the house. Not a chance of finishing this one in time. My vacation starts in 3 weeks, I'm sort of hoping I'll get around to a bit of modelling. Anyway I've enjoyed myself in the time I had, thanks @Mjwomack for hosting this GB with all these great subjects. 

• Thanks 1

It's a shame that this is stuck in a ditch, it was a really interesting bit of kit (clearly I should move out of the country); hope to see it in the future. KUTA is conveniently timed to allow you to finish unpacking😉

4 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

It's a shame that this is stuck in a ditch, it was a really interesting bit of kit (clearly I should move out of the country); hope to see it in the future. KUTA is conveniently timed to allow you to finish unpacking😉

When is the next KUTA?

Sorry, for some reason it always takes me a long time to find the KUTA dates, which is odd given that I'm always a candidate😬

But the answer is 4 December to 27 March, so plenty of time to unpack a house.  Also it's three months long so plenty of time for extra procrastination (as if)

4 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

Sorry, for some reason it always takes me a long time to find the KUTA dates, which is odd given that I'm always a candidate😬

But the answer is 4 December to 27 March, so plenty of time to unpack a house.  Also it's three months long so plenty of time for extra procrastination (as if)

Thanks 🙂 

I have the same thing... I couldn't find it before but when I tried just now I found it right away... I'll probably have some entries there this year :think:

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
31 minutes ago, klubman01 said:

Looks like a big beast.  Bit late joining, but I will follow with interest.

Trevor

Still plenty of time left Trevor 🙂 .... I started this a couple of months ago in Anything But Injection GB but didn't get a chance to finish it so it was moved here yesterday. I don't know when I'll get around to it again. 

It is a big beast indeed, even in 1/35... The 1/1 version is roughly 7,5 meters long, 3 wide and 4 high!

• 2 years later...
On 13/04/2024 at 14:37, FALICO RISTIAN said:

Excellent, job, Cristian writes to you from Argentina. I want to ask you about the stl files to be able to assemble this tractor Kirovec KT 700 model. I loved!!!

Hello Christian, I'm assuming stl files are for 3d printing? Well, as you can see in the first post of this thread, this is a resin kit from Balaton Modell.